ADVERTISEMENT

Les Miles?

Nov 16, 2018
He just got his buyout amended at LSU and is on the hunt apparently. Based on the opinion on the boards that a lot prefer an older coach in his 50s who wont be looking to jump ship, what about Les? Especially if he is open to opening his offense up and not ground and pound? 5-7 years of stability at least, highly respected, great recruiter.

He just got his buyout amended at LSU and is on the hunt apparently. Based on the opinion on the boards that a lot prefer an older coach in his 50s who wont be looking to jump ship, what about Les? Especially if he is open to opening his offense up and not ground and pound? 5-7 years of stability at least, highly respected, great recruiter.
I think he would be a wonderful hire for Louisville.

Isn't he in his 60's? I thought I saw that back when the pre Brohm coaching search was on.
Looked it up, he is 64.

have Moore don't want less

th

I can't see for Miles

th

Miles consistently did a mediocre job with consistently exceptional talent at LSU. Yes, he recruited well there but no one can name a coach who didn't recruit well at LSU. It's not the coaches, it's the school in a hotbed of talent whose only in-state competition is Tulane, who hasn't been a factor since Katrina hit the area in 2005. Miles would take virtually any Power 5 job because he's simply be happy to be back in the game, but whoever hires him can expect him to do a mediocre job coaching whatever level of talent to which that program is accustomed. For an underperforming program without pie in the sky aspirations, he would be a good hire for the next 4 to 5 years. For Purdue, they're well past that point thanks to the last 2 years with Brohm. It may have been intended as a sarcastic post earlier, but I agree that he would be a good hire for Louisville. He's not a great coach, but he would restore credibility and integrity to their program, which is very much in need of both . . . and he'd be way cheaper than a rising star like Brohm or Campbell or Babers. Louisville is facing a lot of lawsuit risk right now and they fired their #1 sponsor in Papa John's.

Reactions: Inspector100
Not that we have lost CJB yet but I would immediately jump on the Holt train if he left. Holt has some interesting connections for OC that I could dig like Scott Linehan.

I think he would be a wonderful hire for Louisville.

oh, goodness, no.

I want them to hire an up-and-coming coach looking for nirvana (Louisville), who will be quickly won over by the wonderful offerings of such a modern, progressive metropolis, and will never want to leave such a land of milk and honey, and will want to stay until (and beyond) retirement.

(Apologies to the newer, more rational, Louisville posters, as this is what we've been subjected to over the past few days.)

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

He’ll be without a job in 3 years

I wanted Les instead of Brohm. Thought then, and still do today, that Les would have been the best choice with a lot less chance of moving on.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
oh, goodness, no.

I want them to hire an up-and-coming coach looking for nirvana (Louisville), who will be quickly won over by the wonderful offerings of such a modern, progressive metropolis, and will never want to leave such a land of milk and honey, and will want to stay until (and beyond) retirement.
They did just that with Hazell. How'd that work out?

Les was a decent choice then, but two years removed from coaching, he won’t have the staff nor the zest to keep momentum going. Just my $.02.

Obviously very few members of this board think very highly of Les. Then again most of the posters dissing Les have also dissed 90% of the other coaching names brought up as potential coaches. And they dissed coaches in the past. I suspect many here would bad mouth Urban Meyer and say Saban would cost too much and not be able to recruit at Purdue and would still want us to recruit offensive lineman who need 2 years to develop because we're Purdue and that's the way we do things here!

Obviously very few members of this board think very highly of Les. Then again most of the posters dissing Les have also dissed 90% of the other coaching names brought up as potential coaches. And they dissed coaches in the past. I suspect many here would bad mouth Urban Meyer and say Saban would cost too much and not be able to recruit at Purdue and would still want us to recruit offensive lineman who need 2 years to develop because we're Purdue and that's the way we do things here!
he would be Capt. Kirk II (Ferentz), wouldn't get the same kind of recruits like at LSU, runs a lame O.

bigs, they ain't 'dissing' him, they're evaluating whether or not he's the type of coach we should be hiring.

If we are considering taking a run at an older coach with a conservative approach, why no try to pry Dantonio away from MSU. The lure of getting away from UM, OSU, and PSU could be enticing. And did I read he has no buyout in his contract?

A ? About Les would be what type of team he would have. Obviously it would not be a huge passing machine. The question remains if he consistently had a 7-5 to 9-3 record like the guy at Iowa, would the fans be happy and satisfied with him? Or would they cry for his ouster if our passing offense was under 250 yards? And he incorporated a boring running attack with a boring but good defense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT