ADVERTISEMENT

Lebron James has been pretty quiet...

Emartin70287

Sophomore
Nov 17, 2015
I thought when it came down to social issues he wanted to not just "shut up and dribble" but support causes. Time to step up and support Hong Kong NBA, before Hong Kong comes here...same goes for Steve Kerr who said in 2017 that being quiet on issues allows it to happen. He didn't want to say anything to support Daryl Morey Houston Rockets GM when asked if he should be fired by reporters. All Morey did was tweet that he supports Hong Kong.
From the NY post:
"LeBron James fanned the NBA’s China controversy on Monday, saying Rockets GM Daryl Morey “wasn’t educated” when he tweeted his support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

“I don’t want to get into a … feud with Daryl Morey,” James told reporters, “but I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand and he spoke.

“So many people could have been harmed, not only financially, but physically, emotionally, spiritually, so, just be careful what we tweet, what we say, what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, there can be a lot of negative that comes from that.”"

It seems like when it effects money, they don't want to speak up in support of one of the biggest human rights issues of our time. It's a little bit quiet this time of the year, just wondering what everyone thought about this, sooner or later someone will say something. I guess Nike's quote "believe in something even if it means sacrifice everything" was just hollow words.

I thought when it came down to social issues he wanted to not just "shut up and dribble" but support causes. Time to step up and support Hong Kong NBA, before Hong Kong comes here...same goes for Steve Kerr who said in 2017 that being quiet on issues allows it to happen. He didn't want to say anything to support Daryl Morey Houston Rockets GM when asked if he should be fired by reporters. All Morey did was tweet that he supports Hong Kong.
From the NY post:
"LeBron James fanned the NBA’s China controversy on Monday, saying Rockets GM Daryl Morey “wasn’t educated” when he tweeted his support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

“I don’t want to get into a … feud with Daryl Morey,” James told reporters, “but I believe he wasn’t educated on the situation at hand and he spoke.

“So many people could have been harmed, not only financially, but physically, emotionally, spiritually, so, just be careful what we tweet, what we say, what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, there can be a lot of negative that comes from that.”"

It seems like when it effects money, they don't want to speak up in support of one of the biggest human rights issues of our time. It's a little bit quiet this time of the year, just wondering what everyone thought about this, sooner or later someone will say something. I guess Nike's quote "believe in something even if it means sacrifice everything" was just hollow words.
Hilarious that LeBron is critiquing others for being uneducated. You are either with Morey and Hong Kong, or you are with the totalitarian human rights violators. He’s picked his side.

From the NY post:

Is Lebron going to apply this statement to China also, or nah?

I know many on here like to single out Lebron, but how many corporations have made public statements in support of the demonstrators or democracy in Hong Kong? I don't know of any, but please point out where I'm wrong.

I don't agree with Lebron, and I wish he wouldn't have commented, but it seems that just about any entity with $$ at stake in the Chinese market has sequestered the issue of human rights.

Also - shouldn't this be on the GD board? Where is Mathboy when you need him?

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
I know many on here like to single out Lebron, but how many corporations have made public statements in support of the demonstrators or democracy in Hong Kong? I don't know of any, but please point out where I'm wrong.

I don't agree with Lebron, and I wish he wouldn't have commented, but it seems that just about any entity with $$ at stake in the Chinese market has sequestered the issue of human rights.

That’s just it. The smart folks have kept their mouth shut, instead of criticizing Morey and looking like either a moron or a communist. Or insanely greedy.

I don't recall offering any public commentary on Lebron (maybe I did and forgot), so I'll weigh in.

I believe the primary issue with Lebron (and other athletes) has been their open criticism of an "unjust" America (think: kneeling during the anthem).

The reason Lebron (et al) is getting criticism is because he appears to be okay with China's massive human rights violations... as long as they put million$ in his pocket.

That's the perception.

He didn't help himself with the utterly st*p*d comments he made.

Lebrob could be in the position to step up, and not be ignored, they cant just fire him, and the remifications of that would be insane. Its funny when they try to hide this stuff, but it will come one. Lebron doesnt want to hurt his Nike endoresment, and, lets be honest Space Jam 2...

Reactions: mediaexpert
Yeah this is off topic, but we can only discuss practices so much. It relates to basketball...

this stuff is starting to implode. I love it. You can't suppress America, maybe you can do that over there.

LeBron James and the NBA has exposed themselves as phonies. They were all about "Social Justice" etc. when it did not cost them anything while protesting policies here. But they sold themselves to the fascist Chinese because of anticipated markets there.

The Houston guy had a sense of conscience. The rest of the league lacks one.

LeBron needs China to shut up and make Nike Sneakers. There is no way LeBron was ever going to make a comment about his money maker. Nike would plummet without China. Being able to make shoes and ship shoes for 9 bucks a pair and then sell them to people for 150+ is their racket. LeBron makes his money off of Chinese slave labor. And the NBA is reliant upon Nike.

China policies were killing its people of starvation until the United States essentially created their middle class by shipping jobs over there. China is a powerhouse because it forces its citizens to work for wages far less than anywhere else could match. So heck no LeBron doesn’t want China free. Neither does the NBA or Nike.

Nothing LeBron is Doing is surprising. There is no way he would risk anything for actual human rights. Not when he lives like a king off of it.

If China did become a democracy and it would cause an interesting affect on the world economy. A lot of folks have become fat and happy off of their human rights violations. There would be some huge stock market ramifications if the communist regime ever fell.

As reliant upon China the US is, they are just as reliant on us. If the Untied States passed an embargo, China would likely collapse. If China placed an embargo on us, jobs would come back to America. It isn’t as simple as all that but I am surprised the stuff in China isn’t getting far more attention. And on this topic, LeBron should definitely stick to dribbling because he has a ridiculous conflict of interest.

Reactions: mediaexpert
From the NY post:

He was speaking more about the timing and the fact Morey put the NBA teams already in China to play games in potential danger with his comments. But I know people love to find a reason to hate LeBron, so I guess this gives them one.

You are right. Nobody publicly criticizes sponsors are business partners. That's just reality. And people have failed to understand what he meant. Always funny how some people love to hate on successful people who usually do the right thing.

He was speaking more about the timing and the fact Morey put the NBA teams already in China to play games in potential danger with his comments. But I know people love to find a reason to hate LeBron, so I guess this gives them one.
So now that he is back in the US and out of “potential danger” when can we expect LeBron’s statement supporting the Hong Kong freedom protesters?

897f0150ecb8739227b35aa8a0da44899a10c1afc5e709be5972738866556db0.jpg

Le Bron should have read some Mark Twain. Twain wrote: "It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it."

He is a phony and a fool. He is all about "woke" here when there is no cost but when confronted with real evil he plays along with it. I will boycott any product that he ever endorses even if I like it.

When I was growing up (I’m 70) the saying was “better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt”. Guess lebum never heard that. Or as Ron White says “had the right to remain silent ... didn’t have the ability.”

Wouldn't be bad if you took your own advice. Calling one of the most successful athletes and businessmen of his generation "lebum" doesn't show much knowledge on your part. I don't necessarily agree with what he said but LaBron is far from a bum!

You might not like it but he's 34 years old and ....

"In late 2018, Forbes estimated that LeBron James, thanks to basketball and his many business endeavors has a net worth of about $450 million."

Not bad for a guy who according to Wikipedia was born to 16 year old mother and a father with a criminal background and was not involved in his life.

Also according to Wikipedia:

"He also has his own charity foundation, the LeBron James Family Foundation, which is based in Akron.[367] In 2015, James announced a partnership with the University of Akron to provide scholarships for as many as 2,300 children beginning in 2021.[369] In 2016, he donated $2.5 million to the SmithsonianNational Museum of African American History and Culture to support an exhibit on Muhammad Ali.[370] In 2017, he received the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award from the NBA for his "outstanding service and dedication to the community."[371] In November of that same year, the Akron School Board approved the "I Promise School", a public elementary school created in a partnership with the LeBron James Family Foundation to help struggling elementary school students stay in school.[372] James later reflected that it was his most important professional accomplishment of his life. The school officially opened on July 30, 2018.[373]"

Wouldn't be bad if you took your own advice. Calling one of the most successful athletes and businessmen of his generation "lebum" doesn't show much knowledge on your part. I don't necessarily agree with what he said but LaBron is far from a bum!

"In late 2018, Forbes estimated that LeBron James, thanks to basketball and his many business endeavors has a net worth of about $450 million."

Not bad for a guy who according to Wikipedia was born to 16 year old mother and a father with a criminal background and was not involved in his life.

"He also has his own charity foundation, the LeBron James Family Foundation, which is based in Akron.[367] In 2015, James announced a partnership with the University of Akron to provide scholarships for as many as 2,300 children beginning in 2021.[369] In 2016, he donated $2.5 million to the SmithsonianNational Museum of African American History and Culture to support an exhibit on Muhammad Ali.[370] In 2017, he received the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award from the NBA for his "outstanding service and dedication to the community."[371] In November of that same year, the Akron School Board approved the "I Promise School", a public elementary school created in a partnership with the LeBron James Family Foundation to help struggling elementary school students stay in school.[372] James later reflected that it was his most important professional accomplishment of his life. The school officially opened on July 30, 2018.[373]"
Cool story but he still looks like a money grubbing phony. You can’t put on and take off the SJW hat as it suits your bank account.

None of this means he can criticize while being free from criticism. And it certainly does not mean that his opinion carries more weight than anyone else's.

LeBron needs China to shut up and make Nike Sneakers. There is no way LeBron was ever going to make a comment about his money maker. Nike would plummet without China. Being able to make shoes and ship shoes for 9 bucks a pair and then sell them to people for 150+ is their racket. LeBron makes his money off of Chinese slave labor. And the NBA is reliant upon Nike.

China policies were killing its people of starvation until the United States essentially created their middle class by shipping jobs over there. China is a powerhouse because it forces its citizens to work for wages far less than anywhere else could match. So heck no LeBron doesn’t want China free. Neither does the NBA or Nike.

Nothing LeBron is Doing is surprising. There is no way he would risk anything for actual human rights. Not when he lives like a king off of it.

If China did become a democracy and it would cause an interesting affect on the world economy. A lot of folks have become fat and happy off of their human rights violations. There would be some huge stock market ramifications if the communist regime ever fell.

As reliant upon China the US is, they are just as reliant on us. If the Untied States passed an embargo, China would likely collapse. If China placed an embargo on us, jobs would come back to America. It isn’t as simple as all that but I am surprised the stuff in China isn’t getting far more attention. And on this topic, LeBron should definitely stick to dribbling because he has a ridiculous conflict of interest.
I see what you are trying to say but not exactly. Due to basic economics, jobs would still not come back to the US. US companies would just outsource to other lower cost countries.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad

Conclusions from your post:

1. Le Bron likes to make public statements evidencing concern fro others;
2. Le Bron has come from humble beginnings;
3. Le Bron makes partnerships with others (but how much he personally puts up is not mentioned);
4. Le Bron is happy to make comments about the USA and his perceived shortcomings of it, which does not affect his bottom line;
5. Le Bron is happy to shut up about persecutions and concentration camps in China, which does benefit his bottom line.
6. Le Bron is a big phoney.

I see what you are trying to say but not exactly. Due to basic economics, jobs would still not come back to the US. US companies would just outsource to other lower cost countries.
That is true in theory. But US companies would need to find countries with the capital and trained workforce in place. If there has not already been a demand for manufacturing from a low-cost country, the supply will not be there. The other option is to build the facilities and train the workforce in those countries, as has been done in the past. That is risky, takes years, and doesn't always succeed.

"...one of the most successful athletes and businessmen of his generation"
One of the most successful athletes, yes.
One of the most successful businessmen, no.

He has been smart enough to find capable business partners who provide him with good guidance in terms of how to invest the fortune his basketball talents have enabled him to accumulate. But let's not pretend that LeBron is some business savant who is merely using basketball to kill time until Warren Buffett retires as chairman of Berkshire Hathaway. I don't think handing a fortune over to wealth managers and having them create a bigger fortune makes LeBron himself one of the most successful businessmen.

If he'd started with $5M - $10M and turned it into a net worth of $450 on his own, then I'd tip my cap to the man and say he's a helluva businessman. I don't see him doing that on his own. Very few can. I will, however, give him credit for finding the right people to help him grow his wealth instead of frittering it away like so many pro athletes do.

He was speaking about timing? No, that's what he came back and said to say to cover his ass for his sorry speech condemning free speech when it comes to China/Hong Kong situation. Lets be real, nobody was in any danger for playing basketball in China. What could happen, they hold our athletes in prison? I'm pretty sure the entire world, even North Korea wouldn't stand for that.

I don't recall offering any public commentary on Lebron (maybe I did and forgot), so I'll weigh in.

I believe the primary issue with Lebron (and other athletes) has been their open criticism of an "unjust" America (think: kneeling during the anthem).

The reason Lebron (et al) is getting criticism is because he appears to be okay with China's massive human rights violations... as long as they put million$ in his pocket.

That's the perception.

He didn't help himself with the utterly st*p*d comments he made.

This is the hypocrisy that drives me crazy. We have athletes making millions of dollars criticizing our country, which I don't like, but understand. But then keep their mouths shut when atrocities occur in other countries that make their issues look small in comparison.

Reactions: Purdue85

He's not a bum. But where do you think he'd be right now if he didn't make millions off of basketball and endorsements? He's not a businessman. He's only self made in the sense that God gave him size with crazy athletic skills.

He's not a bum. But where do you think he'd be right now if he didn't make millions off of basketball and endorsements? He's not a businessman. He's only self made in the sense that God gave him size with crazy athletic skills.
I don't need to defend LeBron. I believe the commentary on this board says more about the people on this board than it does about LeBron.

I don't need to defend LeBron. I believe the commentary on this board says more about the people on this board than it does about LeBron.
Lebron is a douche. Period. End of story. He complains about everything going on here in the US but then turns around and is a slave to China. He's a hypocritical moron that if he didn't have GOD given talent, would probably at best be working for an IU grad at McDonalds.

Screen_Shot_2019-10-15_at_1.21.31_PM.jpg

Reactions: rjmpu82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT