ADVERTISEMENT

Lawson is transferring ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
From Purdue ...

Freshman forward Dani Lawson has decided to transfer from the Purdue women’s basketball program and was granted her release by head coach Sharon Versyp on Wednesday. The 6-foot-2, Cleveland native appeared in only five games in her freshman season before undergoing knee surgery and missing the remainder of the 2017-18 campaign.

“We wish Dani the best of luck in her future endeavors, academically and athletically, and thank her for all the hard work over the past year,” said Versyp.

Lawson saw action in the first four games of the 2017-18 campaign, and the Boilermakers’ contest at Hawaii during their Thanksgiving trip. She made her first career field goal attempt at Central Michigan, and played a career-most four minutes in Purdue’s game vs. Lamar in Mackey Arena on Nov. 18.

Lawson had actually undergone two micro fracture surgeries, the first when she was a high school freshman, or thereabouts. And now a second. One is hard to come back from, so I can't imagine two. It would have been a long recovery to get back to competing at Purdue, in my (honest) opinion.

Wow no post presence to speak of and now you lose what was a potential much needed PF at position of extreme need. But it sounds like she wasn't going to play this coming season anyway. Sad!!! Good Luck Dani! #BoilerUp!

When's the last time Purdue WBB had a skilled PF? And Harris should be but because Purdue has no skilled Centers she is their only decent Center. Can't think of the last time... has to be at least 10 years ago.

It is beginning to look like we will have some skilled players, but not much height. Run & gun, and rain 3's. Without a strong post, PF and someone off the bench, we are not going to overpower anyone in the paint.

Reactions: PurdueTim16
Manuel left after one year and McBryde after two.
I remember Manuel. Great gritty player. She was from the Detroit Public Schools, IIRC. I recall thinking she might have academic issues, and I think that is exactly what happened. DPS is a poor place to prepare for the rigors of Purdue.

I remember Manuel. Great gritty player. She was from the Detroit Public Schools, IIRC. I recall thinking she might have academic issues, and I think that is exactly what happened. DPS is a poor place to prepare for the rigors of Purdue.
from St Louis. but agree that her HS probably didn't prepare her well for Purdue academics nor did she show a great interest in physical conditioning. talented but needed a stronger off the court drive, in my opinion.

from St Louis. but agree that her HS probably didn't prepare her well for Purdue academics nor did she show a great interest in physical conditioning. talented but needed a stronger off the court drive, in my opinion.
That's right. I knew it was one of the inner city schools. I thought Detroit, but it was St. Louis. You are right. She was lazy in both academics and conditioning. Too bad because at times she looked like a 'woman among girls' (to turn an old phrase around).

Manuel played a year at Purdue, two years at Loyola of Chicago. After graduating she transferred to Ole Miss and finished her eligibility last season.

Reactions: PurdueTim16
Drey Mingo, Sam Ostarello, Whitney Bays, Taylor Manuel, Dominique McBryde,
Mingo was a 5 not a PF. Sam Ostarello never lived up to her potential but was the closest Purdue has had, Manuel left the program and never contrituted same with McBryde...

It is beginning to look like we will have some skilled players, but not much height. Run & gun, and rain 3's. Without a strong post, PF and someone off the bench, we are not going to overpower anyone in the paint.
bingo

Really? Sam nearly averaged a double double her senior year (9.9/10.0). In two NCAA Tournament games that year she averaged 14.5 rebounds and 13 points. What potential do you think she did not live up to?
She was the #15 ranked HS Senior in the country by HoopGurlz... arguably the highest ranked recruit that Sharon Versyp has ever gotten. When you're the #15 recruit in the country one season of barely averaging a double/double is not living up to the hype... was not a good outside shooter, or offensive player..nice rebounder... wish Purdue had her now... but not the 15th ranked recruit in the whole country imho.

She was the #15 ranked HS Senior in the country by HoopGurlz... arguably the highest ranked recruit that Sharon Versyp has ever gotten. When you're the #15 recruit in the country one season of barely averaging a double/double is not living up to the hype... was not a good outside shooter, or offensive player..nice rebounder... wish Purdue had her now... but not the 15th ranked recruit in the whole country imho.

https://purduesports.com/news/2000/7/3/Women_s_Basketball_Recruiting_Class_Ranked_No_1.aspx

There was a time when having top recruits in WBB at Purdue meant something. In fairness, it should be noted that 30% of those time classes had virtually no impact while in school. However, the Figgs and White class won the school’s only NC and the Wright and Valek class went to the championship game and posted the best four year record of any class in school history. No class in the last dozen years has come close to matching the accomplishments of those two classes.

What about the one that tied her roommate up? I remember her being long and athletic

https://purduesports.com/news/2000/7/3/Women_s_Basketball_Recruiting_Class_Ranked_No_1.aspx

There was a time when having top recruits in WBB at Purdue meant something. In fairness, it should be noted that 30% of those time classes had virtually no impact while in school. However, the Figgs and White class won the school’s only NC and the Wright and Valek class went to the championship game and posted the best four year record of any class in school history. No class in the last dozen years has come close to matching the accomplishments of those two classes.
And Katie Douglas bridged both of those classes and probably contributed as much as any of those other women.

Reactions: TC4THREE
And Katie Douglas bridged both of those classes and probably contributed as much as any of those other women.

Not to mention Cooper. No way Curry sniffs a FF without them. I think her performance since leaving Purdue pretty much speaks for itself.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT