ADVERTISEMENT

Last week was a busy week for Purdue coaches

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
I'll give them an A for effort. Quality of players B- (unknowns), yet their profiles of Ht, Wt, measurables meet the eyeball test. Prince James Boyd appears to be hungry to prove himself at DT and Broc Thompson at WR being closer to home and family may give him the confidence of belonging and performing at his highest level. WR unit is stacked for sure, but opportunities exist to see a new player or two make an impact from that group. DB#3 is a known commodity, now it remains to be seen who can take some of that pressure off him by being a quality contributor OR will it be WR by committee.
An exciting time for sure for these young men, and I must say as a fan, an exciting time of renewed entertainment that we can get out there and enjoy Football in an environment we've all enjoyed at tailgates with gameday experiences that stirs the youth once again.
A few weeks to go and the portal works both ways, I hope we land at least 1-2 more quality players (RB and OL or CB). Keep plugging away coaches till 6/30 near midnight hour of 7/1, then take your familiy vacations and buckle up for a fun run come August.

On a side note, I went to a local concert on Friday night with hundreds of people hearing live music and cheering all around us. The energy was a VERY, VERY, good feeling. I'm not a Country music fan, but can attest it was a good time being out watching a live performance and crowd watching the youthful energy. Won't soon take that for granted again. I can see Ross-Ade stadium being back with a lot of energy this fall. I for one will make at least 1 game. I have a son playing college soccer for his senior year so I can't make it to as many as I'd like, but I'll be there.

I'll give them an A for effort. Quality of players B- (unknowns), yet their profiles of Ht, Wt, measurables meet the eyeball test. Prince James Boyd appears to be hungry to prove himself at DT and Broc Thompson at WR being closer to home and family may give him the confidence of belonging and performing at his highest level. WR unit is stacked for sure, but opportunities exist to see a new player or two make an impact from that group. DB#3 is a known commodity, now it remains to be seen who can take some of that pressure off him by being a quality contributor OR will it be WR by committee.
An exciting time for sure for these young men, and I must say as a fan, an exciting time of renewed entertainment that we can get out there and enjoy Football in an environment we've all enjoyed at tailgates with gameday experiences that stirs the youth once again.
A few weeks to go and the portal works both ways, I hope we land at least 1-2 more quality players (RB and OL or CB). Keep plugging away coaches till 6/30 near midnight hour of 7/1, then take your familiy vacations and buckle up for a fun run come August.

On a side note, I went to a local concert on Friday night with hundreds of people hearing live music and cheering all around us. The energy was a VERY, VERY, good feeling. I'm not a Country music fan, but can attest it was a good time being out watching a live performance and crowd watching the youthful energy. Won't soon take that for granted again. I can see Ross-Ade stadium being back with a lot of energy this fall. I for one will make at least 1 game. I have a son playing college soccer for his senior year so I can't make it to as many as I'd like, but I'll be there.
I'm happy to see Purdue get quality players from the transfer portal, especially for the DL. But for the life of me, I'm trying to figure out why we're bringing in more WRs when we have more than enough talent at that position. Why not focus more on RB, LB, OL, and CB positions where we've struggled?

It's irritating to me to see more wide receivers coming in when some of the more highly touted ones have never played in a game, or very little. I want to see them on the field, where they can prove themselves or not, not just ignored for their Purdue career.

I'm happy to see Purdue get quality players from the transfer portal, especially for the DL. But for the life of me, I'm trying to figure out why we're bringing in more WRs when we have more than enough talent at that position. Why not focus more on RB, LB, OL, and CB positions where we've struggled?
Sounds like he fell in our lap.
Also, I imagine they're still focusing on those other 4 positions (and more) ... that whole walking and chewing gum thingy... ;)

Reactions: Zaphod_B
It's irritating to me to see more wide receivers coming in when some of the more highly touted ones have never played in a game, or very little. I want to see them on the field, where they can prove themselves or not, not just ignored for their Purdue career.
They should still be able to earn their PT. I love the competition. If they don't earn it, they're not being "ignored".

Reactions: Riveting
Who do you want to see that you feel isn’t getting a shot

Reactions: Purdue85
They brought in 2 dbs and an ol. Don’t think we need more.

glad they are busy and hopefully successful, they have to be. Last week, Rutgers got their 5th 4 star recruit for '22. They currently have the 7th ranked class.

Who do you want to see that you feel isn’t getting a shot
I would like to see people that can create mismatches like the several 6'5" receivers whether wide receivers or tight ends, or for speed Marcellus Moore. I think that the real reason that players don't get playing time is that we haven't had any blow out wins where they can be substituted into the game without possibly adversely affecting the outcome. But we can't evaluate if they'll step up their game for a real game or not.

glad they are busy and hopefully successful, they have to be. Last week, Rutgers got their 5th 4 star recruit for '22. They currently have the 7th ranked class.
They must have some great facilities and stadium to attract these kids.

Sounds like he fell in our lap.
Also, I imagine they're still focusing on those other 4 positions (and more) ... that whole walking and chewing gum thingy... ;)
I think they only have 1 or 2 scholarships in this class to stay under the 25 so they probably aren’t focusing on 4 or more positions.

Let’s see how it goes when he is getting his ass kicked in the east 5 years in
I guess you don't remember what Schiano did the last time he was at Rutgers. He's a proven coach. He won't win the east with Ohio State. But he'll likely compete.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I guess you don't remember what Schiano did the last time he was at Rutgers. He's a proven coach. He won't win the east with Ohio State. But he'll likely compete.
In the Big East? There wasnt a single team in that league of the magnitude of OSU, PSU or Michigan.

Penn State and Michigan haven't done sh*t lately. And it's doubtful Harbaugh ever will.
The talent gulf between them and rutgers is enormous. competing with those two on a yearly basis will dampen his results. Much more difficult than playing in a conference where Louisville Pitt and WVU are the 3 best teams.

The talent gulf between them and rutgers is enormous. competing with those two on a yearly basis will dampen his results. Much more difficult than playing in a conference where Louisville Pitt and WVU are the 3 best teams.
Never said he'd do that on a yearly basis. But I don't think he'll get his ass kicked on a regular basis. And BTW, during the time period Rutgers was winning in the Big East, the Big Ten wasn't anything to write home about...

Never said he'd do that on a yearly basis. But I don't think he'll get his ass kicked on a regular basis. And BTW, during the time period Rutgers was winning in the Big East, the Big Ten wasn't anything to write home about...
It wasnt? OSU played in 3 national title games in that span. Michigan was actually good during that span (at least until they hired Rich Rod). Penn State won 9+ games 6 times during that span.

Reactions: Purdue85
It's interesting to note, he was .504 at Rutgers.

Over 11 years.

Won a whopping TWO GAMES his first 3 seasons.

It took him until his 5th year to scrape up a winning, 7-5 season.

In his 10th year, he won 1 conference game.

I'm looking at that, while thinking about another coach.... and the stark differences in how they're discussed...

😉

Reactions: MisterBlack7
It wasnt? OSU played in 3 national title games in that span. Michigan was actually good during that span (at least until they hired Rich Rod). Penn State won 9+ games 6 times during that span.
The Big Ten was weak during that span. The only team to make it to a national championship game from the Big Ten was Ohio State. Michigan lost 3 out of 10 bowl games during that time period. Penn State lost 4 out of 8 bowl games and didn't go to a bowl in 2001. Ohio State won it in 2002, but got their ass kicked in the other two BCS championship games. Sorry, but the Big Ten was not that great during that time period.

The Big East had as many BCS championships as the Big Ten did during that time period (Miami in 2002) and should have won it over Ohio State in 2003 had it not been for the phantom pass interference call in overtime.

It's interesting to note, he was .504 at Rutgers.

Over 11 years.

Won a whopping TWO GAMES his first 3 seasons.

It took him until his 5th year to scrape up a winning, 7-5 season.

In his 10th year, he won 1 conference game.

I'm looking at that, while thinking about another coach.... and the stark differences in how they're discussed...

😉
Yeah, let me know when Brohm achieves a .504 record at Purdue. And when he goes 11-2 in year 6, which by the way is the 2022 season.

What did I get caught at? Some stupid trap you're trying to lay?

"Some stupid trap"...

Don't get so defensive. It's not a trap, nor was it something I put down. It's your own observations, selectively applied.

I find it interesting that Greg Schiano was permitted to build a program over many years. That program was in a conference that was nowhere near the level of the B1G. Not even close.

By comparison we have someone who is light years ahead of him at similar points in their respective HC careers, and there is, as I stated, a stark difference in the way each is perceived and discussed on this forum.

For the sake of finding common ground, I think it's safe to say there is no specific formula for building a winning program over time. Schiano was afforded that opportunity, as have many, many others. Time will tell if Brohm is able to do the same. But, if we're to be consistent Schiano should have NEVER been afforded that opportunity...

"Some stupid trap"...

Don't get so defensive. It's not a trap, nor was it something I put down. It's your own observations, selectively applied.

I find it interesting that Greg Schiano was permitted to build a program over many years. That program was in a conference that was nowhere near the level of the B1G. Not even close.

By comparison we have someone who is light years ahead of him at similar points in their respective HC careers, and there is, as I stated, a stark difference in the way each is perceived and discussed on this forum.

For the sake of finding common ground, I think it's safe to say there is no specific formula for building a winning program over time. Schiano was afforded that opportunity, as have many, many others. Time will tell if Brohm is able to do the same. But, if we're to be consistent Schiano should have NEVER been afforded that opportunity...
Don't get defensive? Here was your post. It wasn't an "observation". It was you trying to say "gotcha". That's why I asked if it was some stupid trap...

And I quote:
"you're giving him 11 years to go .504???!

You just got caught..."

Don't get defensive? Here was your post. It wasn't an "observation". It was you trying to say "gotcha". That's why I asked if it was some stupid trap...

And I quote:
"you're giving him 11 years to go .504???!

You just got caught..."
no, no gotcha. Just an observation ... a "juxtaposition". I found it curious.

And, had to "poke the bear"! ;)

Enjoy your evening.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I’m guessing it’s “take the best available who want to come to West Lafayette“

I’m puzzled why Purdue hasn’t received a RB or CB the portal yet.

Reactions: purduepat1969
When I scanned roster less than a week ago, a load of them show S, not CB.

Was it the spring roster? The DB transfers and the 2021 recruit didn't attend spring practice.

This is what I have in my tracker for CB's for now:

C.J. McWilliams (Transfer)
Dedrick Mackey
Cory Trice
Jamari Brown (Transfer)
Kadin Smith
Nyles Beverly
Anthony Romphf
Brandon Calloway (Recruit)

Was it the spring roster? The DB transfers and the 2021 recruit didn't attend spring practice.

This is what I have in my tracker for CB's for now:

C.J. McWilliams (Transfer)
Dedrick Mackey
Cory Trice
Jamari Brown (Transfer)
Kadin Smith
Nyles Beverly
Anthony Romphf
Brandon Calloway (Recruit)
Yes, appears to be Spring Roster which shows 3. Mackey, Trice and Romphf. I know there are a couple that says DB so they likely play CB/S. Adding 2 helps. Get into injury bug, and 2 deeps become an issue of concern. We were shredded last year. Style of D and no pass rush allowed them to get picked apart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT