ADVERTISEMENT

Last offensive possession

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
It ended up working out, but I dont think Brohm understood we couldn't run out the clock. We lose the game if we don't score a TD there.

Either Brohm put all his chips in us scoring on 3rd which was no gimme or he didn't understand we couldn't run out the clock.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think we played it right. If anything, holding for a FG and going up 4 with 40 seconds left might have been better. We saw how easily they scored on us with 1:20 left, couldn’t afford to give even more time
Use 4 downs for the TD and win. Risky for FG in tight situation. A block or muffed handling = momentum shift and disaster.

Reactions: purduepat1969
It ended up working out, but I dont think Brohm understood we couldn't run out the clock. We lose the game if we don't score a TD there.

Either Brohm put all his chips in us scoring on 3rd which was no gimme or he didn't understand we couldn't run out the clock.

I think that's what it was.....he saved his best play down there for 3rd down and would have kicked the FG on 4th leaving Maryland with 40/under 40 seconds needing a TD to win. Either team could have won this game, but given that Purdue ended up -2 on turnovers and faced a mobile QB - take the road win - could end up being really big down the road.

Personally I would have done it different, ran it down to 38 seconds and then kicked the field goal, but we won so I'm stoked. We were lucky today, but I think we are always due for some good luck because we are Purdue.
I agree and would have done the same. It just drives me crazy rushing only 3 on their last drive. Almost prevented us from winning today. I’m enjoying the win. Boiler up!

They should have knelt again on 3rd down then handed it to Mockobee on 4th. Get it down inside 40 seconds and even if you’re stuffed they have it at the 2 with no timeouts. Granted with this Purdue team they probably would have thrown 2 completions and kicked a 45 yarder to win

He was right to waste as much time as possible. If you’re Maryland, you wanted us to score quickly.

I’m interested to see what he would have done on 4th. I think I would have preferred to run it again as opposed to a FG

I'm pretty sure Brohm knew we couldn't run out the clock.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: He's not Nathaniel Hackett.

It was a pretty tricky situation. It would have been better if Durham had gone down at the 20. Then one more first down and the game is over. I agree with what he ended up doing. You don't want to leave it to a 4th down situation. One way or another you're leaving Maryland with time.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I dont know gents. You guys are making it sound like MD couldn't have scored with 35 less seconds on the clock.

They only needed what 30 seconds to go 85 yards?
You can't lose in regulation if you get the TD. Well, unless the onside kicks works.

I dont know gents. You guys are making it sound like MD couldn't have scored with 35 less seconds on the clock.

If they didn’t play that soft prevent coverage, not sure Maryland would have done much.

Personally I would have done it different, ran it down to 38 seconds and then kicked the field goal, but we won so I'm stoked. We were lucky today, but I think we are always due for some good luck because we are Purdue.

You'll need to live close to as long as Methuselah to get on the even side of the breaks, though, Gem. :)

Cheers my friend.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
He forced Maryland to use their time outs, headsy play calling.
plus that ass't coach was talking to him constantly during that series maybe helping him out. I did not like the 3 man front on Maryland's last series

Brohm has gotten a lot of (deserved) flack for his end game management in the past, but IMO that final drive was a masterclass in clock management. Good play calling, made Maryland use all timeouts, killed as much extra clock as possible, and ended the drive with a TD. It was perfect execution by AOC to not get into the end zone on 1st or 2nd when MD was trying to let us score. I think there is a valid argument in killing time on 3rd down, but you can’t trust college kickers in that situation. Take a look at the Auburn-Missouri game from 2 weeks ago to see what happens when you kill clock and trust them with a chip shot. Great work by the team on that final drive!

I was thinking that too, but I think we take a totally different approach on defense if MD HAS TO drive the field in 30 seconds. They had Graham spying the QB the entire drive, which you wouldn’t do with less time on the clock. That gave him more time to pass and find holes in the coverage downfield.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I think Brohm played it about as well as he could. If not for Durham going full beast mode we might have iced the game on that drive, or we might have turned it over or they might have stopped us to force a punt. Take the td in that situation every time so they can't win on a busted coverage. No way in hell we win that game if we kick a field goal down there and give them 30-35 seconds.

The refs would likely would have called pass interfernce on a hail mary, giving them the ball at the 1 to win.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I would like to see the statcast win probilities for the different options, just out of curiosity.

I wonder how the conversation went on the other side about letting us score on first down or not. We took that out of play with the AOC fall downs though. Once it got to 3rd down, I don't think they were letting us score.

I would like to see the statcast win probilities for the different options, just out of curiosity.

Heavy in favor of the Boilers for how they proceeded > 98% from what I saw. However that did not factor in the Purdue coefficient of 9.75x, so Maryland still had a 10%+ chance. The ESPN game-cast had Purdue @ 99% after scoring to go up 8.....oh those amateurs.

Reactions: DAG10
He forced Maryland to use their time outs, headsy play calling.
They did not need the timeouts...because the defense was SO bad coming off of the score, and, had they somehow converted...he burned both of Purdue's remaining timeouts leaving them with none had the game been tied.

His clock management...or, mismanagement actually, is still pretty mind boggling...he screwed it up at the end of the first half and it absolutely came back and haunted him.

They did not need the timeouts...because the defense was SO bad coming off of the score, and, had they somehow converted...he burned both of Purdue's remaining timeouts leaving them with none had the game been tied.

His clock management...or, mismanagement actually, is still pretty mind boggling...he screwed it up at the end of the first half and it absolutely came back and haunted him.
I was fine with all this. Again this is one of those 50/50 or 40/60 or 60/40 calls where you swill always have people second guessing you. To all we know he doesn’t take those timeouts and they get the 2PT and we lose in OT when we can’t score a FG with 30 seconds and 2 TOs. He played to win in regulation and we did. He burned a timeout after he wanted to read their offensive scheme on 2PT or maybe to give our defense a breather or really to make sure we got out defense play called correctly. If we are going to second guess and cast the blame when we lose we need to give some credit on the wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT