ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Jones

My only question is can he break a press? Dont like the 3 pt% but hopefully his defense translates. Seems small though so it might not.

Reactions: krf3632
Outstanding.
Hope CMP is just getting started.

Im not seeing it. Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t tell what an average player from a mid-major school who can’t shoot is going to add.

He was like 200+ ranked transfer. Maybe we’ll land a real impact player and that would make this moot but on its own it doesn’t seem that great.

Im not seeing it. Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t tell what an average player from a mid-major school who can’t shoot is going to add.

He was like 200+ ranked transfer. Maybe we’ll land a real impact player and that would make this moot but on its own it doesn’t seem that great.
I'm with you. I hope and will be happy to be completely wrong, but I just don't get this. 3rd team MVC and shot 28% from 3. I like the defensive player of the year but let's be honest, that isn't the biggest need we have at the guard position.

I really hope Smith makes a huge jump next year, because this signing basically says the job is his and may just mean a few less minutes.

I'm hopeful that we aren't done and maybe their will be a #2-#3 position guy that can really shoot that we land also.

I'm with you. I hope and will be happy to be completely wrong, but I just don't get this. 3rd team MVC and shot 28% from 3. I like the defensive player of the year but let's be honest, that isn't the biggest need we have at the guard position.

I really hope Smith makes a huge jump next year, because this signing basically says the job is his and may just mean a few less minutes.

I'm hopeful that we aren't done and maybe their will be a #2-#3 position guy that can really shoot that we land also.
He was 43% the year before when he shot less, guessing he’ll be somewhere in the middle of the two numbers, I really like the pick up.

His 3 pt. percentage is in a three year decline.

• Wow
Reactions: Poprudy
He was 43% the year before when he shot less, guessing he’ll be somewhere in the middle of the two numbers, I really like the pick up.
He shot 43% two years ago, not last year. The previous year his shooting was just as bad as this past year and his freshman year. The 43% was an outlier of stats against his other three years. So it’s doubtful he returns to that rate. What you saw last year is what you should expect to see this year. Purdue picked up depth while Michigan picked up a star who will start. Does he fill the requirements Painter said last week this team needs going forward?

Last edited:
Reactions: nitrowars
He shot 43% two years ago, not last year. The previous year his shooting was just as bad as this past year and his freshman year. The 43% was an outlier of stats against his other three years. So it’s doubtful he returns to that rate. What you saw last year is what you should expect to see this year. Purdue picked up depth while Michigan picked up a star who will start. Someone here criticized another coach for recruiting over 100 transfers. Who and how many has Painter recruited? Does he even fill the requirements Painter said last week this team needs going forward?
Such a painter move. Probably good young man that will fit in but not good enough to push any of the guys on the roster and of course can't shoot.

“We play by the rules. Others do not.”

Oh, brother. The faux morality excuse.
Not meant to be an excuse for anything. We should be a top 4 seed again next year with or without Edey. We won't land a high profile transfer because we choose not to play in that sandbox. I believe that based on historical precedent and current activity.

Such a painter move. Probably good young man that will fit in but not good enough to push any of the guys on the roster and of course can't shoot.
He’s good enough to start, I watched him plenty. Having said that, Painter isn’t the type of guy that will do that, Smith is his guy. However, at the least Smith’s 30 MPG should be cut to 25 or so. Also, he’s a true PG unlike Jenkins, during a press he should help breaking it. I really like this move.

He shot 43% two years ago, not last year. The previous year his shooting was just as bad as this past year and his freshman year. The 43% was an outlier of stats against his other three years. So it’s doubtful he returns to that rate. What you saw last year is what you should expect to see this year. Purdue picked up depth while Michigan picked up a star who will start. Does he fill the requirements Painter said last week this team needs going forward?
Caleb Love wouldn’t fit at Purdue, they also had a situation where Love can be the man, at Purdue no way he fits.

Downhill player and that's what this team needs. Will it produce in our system or against B1G teams....who knows, but I hope so.
Plus unlike Jenkins he’s an actual PG, nothing against David but he was an undersized 2 guard. This is a much better fit, my only concern would be him buying in, he’ll be a 18-20 minute player, how will he accept that?

Backup to Smith to keep him fresher. Quick enough to break press. This guy is a real defensive stopper.....we don't have that now in our guards. Esp after Newman transfer that is a hole.

I hope we are still looking for a sharpshooter, because the write up said that he has been up and down in his 3 point shooting over the last 4 years. Our team already has a team worth of up and down consistency in 3 point shooters.

The more I think about this transfer the less I like it. Painter better get it together recruiting guards out of HS for team needs, because he’s proven year after year he can’t land top talent out of the portal. And if we’re not going to recruit using our nil it’s never going to happen.

Plus unlike Jenkins he’s an actual PG, nothing against David but he was an undersized 2 guard. This is a much better fit, my only concern would be him buying in, he’ll be a 18-20 minute player, how will he accept that?

I’m pretty sure he’s actually a 2 or 3

Let's look at career 3 point shooting to even out the ups and downs. Jones shot 32.7 %from three. Newman shot 33.7%, Morton 31.7%. In one year here Jenkins shot 35%, lowest of his career.
None great. Jenkins career number is 40.7%,guess he caught the shooting disease here. Don't know why all the.7%, ask ESPN.

that may be because you dont' grasp the relevance of a 2 time all defensive team member.
Maybe next year try to pay 1% attention to defense and grasp how much trouble our guards had staying in front of people.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
As others have mentioned I like that he can get down hill and score at the rim off the dribble and was his conferences DPOY.

People are focusing on the bad 3pt%, but if this team had another guard to help Smith attack pressure off the bounce AND have the ability to keep his man in front of him and out of the paint FDU would have never happened even with the 3-26 shooting. I also like his team went 24-10 last year and he only has 1 year of eligibility that won't hurt the '24 scholarship numbers.

Sure, add one more guard that can hopefully be a deep threat, but this team needed a vetran PG with a little dog in him to compliment Smith and hopefully this guy can be just that.

just do not think this player will make a big impact. not what we needed offensively. hopefully there is someone else coming but i wont hold my breath as we will likely get another jenkins

He will be fine if he is quick enough to come in and eliminate TOs off the press.....or at least help there.

Also gives us defensive options when Morton continues to get beat off the dribble.

And agreed we need another high character transfer to challenge @ the 2. Why not? Keep them fresh and lets run.

Last edited:
My concern is he isn’t the splash transfer and it appears Painter not wanting potentially take away playing time from the prior year players.

On the plus side, he is the athletic type we are in need of. Good handles and can drive. His shot percentages should go up if he works within the system to take better shots. I think shot selection was his issue.

l guess I'm skeptical. Seems athletic, which is good. But I see some red flags:

1. Pedestrian shooting percentage.
2. Below average at the foul line.
3. More turnovers than assists three years in a row.

I guess we'll see. I don't necessarily see a game changer here. But maybe some quality depth at a position where Purdue is thin.

I trust the coach. But my initial reaction is that this is a downgrade from what Newman has proven he can do at this level. I look forward to being wrong.
I love me some Brandon Newman and had the same initial thought........but then realized they basically shot the same percentage from 3 this past year even though Brandon is thought of as a shooter.

Add in that Jones can dribble and consistently defend and it might be an upgrade IF he translates to this level. The last few years has shown most of these 23/24 y/o dudes on a Covid year do just fine playing up a level as role players.

that may be because you dont' grasp the relevance of a 2 time all defensive team member.
Maybe next year try to pay 1% attention to defense and grasp how much trouble our guards had staying in front of
U think he will play in front of the guys that couldn't play defense? U think we lost at the end of the year because of our defense only? Matt stuck with some guys that weren't good at much at the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT