ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Jones is a dude...

Could only catch the last 2 minutes (will watch the whole thing later tonight). But man he was impressive. Hounded Alexander and forced at least one turnover in that short time I watched
While I'm not sure who Alexander is, Jones' athleticism really turned this game around today.

This is a different team them last year I say that because if one of our guards has a bad game we have other guards to take over we are more athletic team this year as well who ever beats this Purdue team this year they going to have to play the best game of their lives to bear us just saying

Reactions: Abugabby
This is a different team them last year I say that because if one of our guards has a bad game we have other guards to take over we are more athletic team this year as well who ever beats this Purdue team this year they going to have to play the best game of their lives to bear us just saying
Great defender, another ball handler (not perfect but solid), a guy not afraid to take and sometimes hit a big shot, I like him a lot.

I am super psyched after yesterday's game but I disagree a little. So far this team looks a lot better because Jones is a huge upgrade over Morton/Newman/Jenkins.

I'm not convinced if Jones wasn't here that Morton/Heide (fr)/Colvin (fr) would be a huge upgrade over Morton/Newman (Sr)/Jenkins (Sr).

I am super psyched after yesterday's game but I disagree a little. So far this team looks a lot better because Jones is a huge upgrade over Morton/Newman/Jenkins.

I'm not convinced if Jones wasn't here that Morton/Heide (fr)/Colvin (fr) would be a huge upgrade over Morton/Newman (Sr)/Jenkins (Sr).

I believe that is correct over last year.

Still, @ this point in time, besides staying injury free, the development of H & C determines our improvement between now and March.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
it's a game changer when you've got a guy that can neutralize an opponent with tremendous speed/quickness.
Those kinds of guys killed us last 2 seasons.
Each of those teams (i think) had a super quick guy that everyone raves about being unstoppable and it made me nervous when they were on the floor.
None of them kicked out butts.
that's HUGE......

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
GEUnFxxXsAAHClg

I liked Lance last year at SIU, gambling unders on SIU was something I did, love the action lol. Anyway, I realize many weren’t happy when he committed, I was, however, I saw him as a little better than Jenkins, boy was I wrong, totally different players, Lance is a dude, helluve get by Painter.

I’m starting to become as confident when Jones shoots a three as I am with Smith, Loyer, and Gillis. It really puts defenses in a bind when there is nobody that they can leave and they’re contending with Edey (and TKR) down low. It’s not surprising that Purdue has moved to #1 in offensive efficiency according to KenPom and BartTorvik.

I’m starting to become as confident when Jones shoots a three as I am with Smith, Loyer, and Gillis. It really puts defenses in a bind when there is nobody that they can leave and they’re contending with Edey (and TKR) down low. It’s not surprising that Purdue has moved to #1 in offensive efficiency according to KenPom and BartTorvik.
Lance was on fire last night. He has been a huge pickup. Relative to Trey...I think there are more now seeing that (I would hope) Trey playing the 4 adds a different type of team than what Matt has shown in the past that were worried about spacing and not having 4 perimeter threats. 3 out perimeter threats have been just fine with the added benefit of increased skill and size inside as well. What people thought based upon perception of the past is that the four man had to be a threat behind the arc and an extra body not behind the arc would only jam up the lane for Zach. Now, Purdue can switch looks without losing a beat by playing Mason at the 4. What I have not seen mentioned and perhaps it was someplace is that I believe Mason is getting similar "stats" this year as in the past (probably shooting better?), but is doing so with less minutes. Purdue is better 1 through 5 this year and part of that is the improved 3 and 4 from last year.

Lance was on fire last night. He has been a huge pickup. Relative to Trey...I think there are more now seeing that (I would hope) Trey playing the 4 adds a different type of team than what Matt has shown in the past that were worried about spacing and not having 4 perimeter threats. 3 out perimeter threats have been just fine with the added benefit of increased skill and size inside as well. What people thought based upon perception of the past is that the four man had to be a threat behind the arc and an extra body not behind the arc would only jam up the lane for Zach. Now, Purdue can switch looks without losing a beat by playing Mason at the 4. What I have not seen mentioned and perhaps it was someplace is that I believe Mason is getting similar "stats" this year as in the past (probably shooting better?), but is doing so with less minutes. Purdue is better 1 through 5 this year and part of that is the improved 3 and 4 from last year.
I’ve said this all year, probably the most talented Purdue team since I’ve became a fan, the Lewis/Mitchell/Stephens team was good but not as deep or talented as this one, same with the final 8 Big Dog team. This is a damn good team anchored by the likely player of the year for the second straight season. Last year the team was good but they didn’t have Jones, also Smith and Loyer being a year older is a huge difference.

I’ve said this all year, probably the most talented Purdue team since I’ve became a fan, the Lewis/Mitchell/Stephens team was good but not as deep or talented as this one, same with the final 8 Big Dog team. This is a damn good team anchored by the likely player of the year for the second straight season. Last year the team was good but they didn’t have Jones, also Smith and Loyer being a year older is a huge difference.
That team was not as good on D, but was very talented on O. Plus they could only play a slower tempo. Gene tried to run, but had issues right out of the gate, not that I care either way since I only want them to win. That team was very good, but this team is more complete

Lance Jones is a dude. Marcus Domask is a dude. Jones scored over 1,500 points at SIU. Domask over 1,700. Sucks for SIU.

Reactions: tjreese
My favorite thing about Lance Jones is not his excellent defense, not how great in the open court he is, not the confidence......my favorite thing is he absolutely loves playing for Purdue. After years of being the dude on a mid major team, he is loving the atmospher of the Big 10 and loving playing for the home team in Mackey.

Yeah Lance Jones is that dude, but his love of the game and playing in large loud crowds is infectious.

Jones is terrific, much more than we knew coming in. Great defender, plus he can shoot, get to the rim, help with the press, is a one man fast break at times and buys into the team concepts both on O and D. Trey seems much more aggressive this year on the glass with a good motor… maybe Gillis wore off on him.

I feel like Gillis is playing the best basketball of his career by a considerable margin. He’s one of the most underrated players in the conference, from what I see.

There were times in the 2nd half when Purdue was throwing multiple crisp passes to open someone up, and UM simply gave up. They tried to guard everyone while helping on Edey, but eventually stopped chasing, leaving a wide open shot.

Reactions: tjreese
Man, what a gift for Purdue. He made the right decision for him personally (this is working out amazingly well) but we're benefiting the most from it as fans. So much infectious positive energy with speed and SKILL. He's a killer.

Last edited:
Wanted to bump this.

His steal and score off the outlet pass when we were only up a couple of points with about 6 minutes to go was the difference imo.

The crowd was about to explode and then he just took all the air out.

He is already my favorite transfer. He is quickly rising on my all time favorite Boilers list,

Wanted to bump this.

His steal and score off the outlet pass when we were only up a couple of points with about 6 minutes to go was the difference imo.

He is already my favorite transfer. He is quickly rising on my all time favorite Boilers list,
Earlier on the season, I had friend who said "He needs to sit Jones." Every game since then I've been texting him "We need Jones out there." I think he's starting to get the picture. :)

Wanted to bump this.

5 steals 10 boards 8 assists and 4 points. He dominated without scoring. Braden did the scoring for the backcourt, fletch knocked down the FTs and Lance did the dirty work. Ugly win, but one we needed to prove we could do it on the road when shooting poorly. So glad we got Lance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT