ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Jones is a dude...

Jenkins was more of church league type. Jones has got some sauce to his game. I like his speed in the open floor with the ball.
I have poor memory, and I truly don't mean to stir up anything, but did you not question his acquisition?

Jones showed me enough last night to make me hopeful for the remainder of the year. He was really good on D with some pretty quick guards Samford had. He is a veteran ball handler and knows how to get the defender to pick up a foul when needed. So far a plus.

Jones seemed very athletic and strong. Love his D and offensive aggressiveness, as long as he doesn’t go crazy jacking up too many ill-advised shots.

He had a couple last night, but mostly they were end of shot clock ones so I will forgive it.

I have poor memory, and I truly don't mean to stir up anything, but did you not question his acquisition?
I think I probably said something to the effect of why we were taking a kid from (forget the name of the small school he came from) that didn't seem like the difference maker we need at the position of the most glaring weakness.
Will be interesting to see how he does when the level of competition jumps up a few notches.

He brings some toughness and aggression this team needs. It's fine to have nice guys and I'm glad it appears we have a bunch of nice dudes on this team. But sometimes you need someone who won't take shit and is aggressive about it. I liked what I saw in him last night.
That was one of the things they said about St. Peters a few years ago. Something about these kids grew up playing on the tough courts of Jersey courts while a lot of the Purdue players were brought up playing in soft high school leagues.

I think I probably said something to the effect of why we were taking a kid from (forget the name of the small school he came from) that didn't seem like the difference maker we need at the position of the most glaring weakness.
Will be interesting to see how he does when the level of competition jumps up a few notches.

Southern Illinois Salukis - Matt Painter's first head coaching gig.

Reactions: pboiler18
That was one of the things they said about St. Peters a few years ago. Something about these kids grew up playing on the tough courts of Jersey courts while a lot of the Purdue players were brought up playing in soft high school leagues.
I've wished for a street-ball East Coast guard for many years. He won't fit our "culture!" But it's one kid who hopefully would be embraced by the other players.

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
I've wished for a street-ball East Coast guard for many years. He won't fit our "culture!" But it's one kid who hopefully would be embraced by the other players.
Does it not seem that Smith could be mistaken for a "street ball East Coast" guy? He seems to have the toughness and assertiveness and confidence that I think you are attributing to that type of player.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Does it not seem that Smith could be mistaken for a "street ball East Coast" guy? He seems to have the toughness and assertiveness and confidence that I think you are attributing to that type of player.
Not until he gets a tech for shoving an opposing player off a loose ball!!!

IIRC, we were saying similar things about Jenkins last year... I believe he played REALLY well the first few games last year... (but then again, I could be going crazy)
Yeah i think so too.

Everyone needs to temper the excitement. It was Samford! We have no idea how we will play against good teams (and from what I hear we already played poorly against one of them).

Yeah i think so too.

Everyone needs to temper the excitement. It was Samford! We have no idea how we will play against good teams (and from what I hear we already played poorly against one of them).
Correct. We should be making assumptions more so at end of Jan. And playing poorly against a good team in an exhibition game and almost winning it/should have won it with our best player playing half the game…I’m still encouraged by. Though, it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things

Yeah i think so too.

I don’t see anyone on this board making exaggerated claims because of Samford. There are real reasons for optimism right now, but I don’t sense overconfidence among the Purdue fan base at all.

Trying to contain any sort of excitement or optimism until the tournament 😂
The reality is that nothing that Purdue accomplishes before the tournament will be appreciated by a vocal segment of the fan base before March.

Cuonzo Martin was talking about it in an interview last night where he discussed how hard it is to win a Big Ten championship and how the fan base should never take it for granted.

The reality is that nothing that Purdue accomplishes before the tournament will be appreciated by a vocal segment of the fan base before March.

Cuonzo Martin was talking about it in an interview last night where he discussed how hard it is to win a Big Ten championship and how the fan base should never take it for granted.
I know. It’s def taken for granted and right now, I am one of them. I just want to see a F4…that’s all haha. I know that’s it really hard to accomplish. Once you get to that second weekend, even if you’re the better team, you still need some luck on your side. Hopefully, we get to the second weekend and get that luck….but after we do well during the season.

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Yes. He did.

"Another MP failure." In other threads he is still whining and carping about "not upgrading the guards through the portal is MP's biggest failure". He'll move the goalposts and deny it, though. And claim that he donated $1 million to NIL, but it was wasted on no-name players like Jones. lol

I know. It’s def taken for granted and right now, I am one of them. I just want to see a F4…that’s all haha. I know that’s it really hard to accomplish. Once you get to that second weekend, even if you’re the better team, you still need some luck on your side. Hopefully, we get to the second weekend and get that luck….but after we do well during the season.
Lucky as in, a team like St. Peter's knocks of Kentucky, clearing an easy path to the E8? That kind of luck?

Yes. He did.

"Another MP failure." In other threads he is still whining and carping about "not upgrading the guards through the portal is MP's biggest failure". He'll move the goalposts and deny it, though. And claim that he donated $1 million to NIL, but it was wasted on no-name players like Jones. lol
I'll stand behind not upgrading the G position 100%. Before anointing Jones as the savior, let's see what he does against some decent competition.

Reactions: Gesysp
I reiterate...Jones is a dude.

Could only catch the last 2 minutes (will watch the whole thing later tonight). But man he was impressive. Hounded Alexander and forced at least one turnover in that short time I watched

Reactions: z_one
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT