ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Taylor

Mar 9, 2019
Any word on how he has looked so far in the spring? I have always been excited about his potential considering his combination of size and speed etc. So what do you guys think are the chances he makes an impact this fall?

when he signed, I thought he would make an outstanding TE. I know he has never played the position, and he'd have to add some weight. But therr have been many great TEs at Purdue who were primarily used as receivers rather than blockers. With as many talented receivers as we have, I believe he could turn into another weapon.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
I saw Kory walking with team last fall before a game, he was in sweats, the guy is really big for a wide receiver, but Purdue is pretty well set at Tight end.

He’s still pretty lean. With Hopkins, Pittman, Durham already on campus and Bilodeau and Miller arriving this summer I’m not sure there is a fit for him at TE. His best bet to get on the field is as the biggest WR for red zone opportunities.

I agree he's a little lean to be a TE. but he's big, tall, has great speed and great hands. and we are loaded at WR. this kid has a lot of talent. and I'd hate to see it wasted. I'd like to find a way to get him on the field.

Goal line situations are perfect. those 3rd and 1-3 yards are perfect. 4 WR packages are perfect.

I'm terrible at remembering names. But didn't Purdue have several TE's who were not known for their blocking, and were known for their pass catching? Stratton? Keller ? Davis ? Dave Young ?

I know we have other quality TEs currently starting on our team. the same could be said about our Wrs. Weren't Sparks and Anthrop projected as our starters at Wr at this time last year? Don't people expect Wright and Bell to beat out the competition and start this year?

For all the people rooting for Bell to beat out the competition and start opposite Moore, I'm rooting for Taylor to work his way into the equation as a possible TE.

and I've seen a successful platoon at both the pro and college level of alternating blocking and passing oriented TEs.

I'm not saying any of this is in the plans. I have no inside sources. I just like Taylor. I believe he has great size and talent, and I'd like to see Purdue find a way to utilize it. Didn't OSU steal and then convert a Purdue TE target into a linebacker? he's already redshirted one year. I'd like to find a place for him on the field, rather than see him transfer.

I agree he's a little lean to be a TE. but he's big, tall, has great speed and great hands. and we are loaded at WR. this kid has a lot of talent. and I'd hate to see it wasted. I'd like to find a way to get him on the field.

Goal line situations are perfect. those 3rd and 1-3 yards are perfect. 4 WR packages are perfect.

I'm terrible at remembering names. But didn't Purdue have several TE's who were not known for their blocking, and were known for their pass catching? Stratton? Keller ? Davis ? Dave Young ?

I know we have other quality TEs currently starting on our team. the same could be said about our Wrs. Weren't Sparks and Anthrop projected as our starters at Wr at this time last year? Don't people expect Wright and Bell to beat out the competition and start this year?

For all the people rooting for Bell to beat out the competition and start opposite Moore, I'm rooting for Taylor to work his way into the equation as a possible TE.

and I've seen a successful platoon at both the pro and college level of alternating blocking and passing oriented TEs.

I'm not saying any of this is in the plans. I have no inside sources. I just like Taylor. I believe he has great size and talent, and I'd like to see Purdue find a way to utilize it. Didn't OSU steal and then convert a Purdue TE target into a linebacker? he's already redshirted one year. I'd like to find a place for him on the field, rather than see him transfer.

Wole, this may be helpful to explain the differences between x, y, and z receivers. When thinking back to a few things you have posted, I think you are lacking (and that's not meant to be mean and hopefully you don't take it that way) in a bit of knowledge about positions, matchups, motions, etc. You can't just play a kid at TE simply because he is tall and fast. There are so many other factors that go in to that along with the role that the coach wants that player to fill. Taylor provides a ton on the outside as more than just a pass catcher...but as a pass blocker as well in the quick passing game. If you stretch a TE out that far, it is going to tip off a number of different looks. With Taylor out wide, Brohm is given a ton of different options to throw different looks, pattern combos, and screens that he simply couldn't do effectively or couldn't do at all with a TE there.

Differences between X, Y, and Z Receivers

This quick definition of what a TE's responsibilities are traditionally are laid out here:
The tight end is essentially a combination of an offensive lineman and a wide receiver. He's typically bigger and stronger than a wide receiver yet smaller and faster than an offensive lineman. While tight ends can line up virtually anywhere on the field, they are most often aligned directly next to the left or right tackle. Although it's common for one tight end to be on the field, it's becoming increasingly popular to have two tight ends on the field at the same time. The typical tight end is a tall player who's both a skilled pass-catcher and a serviceable blocker.

You can bring the TE off the field and go with a 5 WR look...one in which Taylor is moved around the field a bit. However, it takes a lot of options off the field for Brohm in that instance.

Taylor is a developmental recruit. He’s not a guy who gets here and his body is ready to go like a Milton Wright. He’s not a guy who had anything said about him to create a rational basis for expecting anything before we see it.

I think this is more a case of fans who were around when tiller still couldn’t recruit high level receivers who weren’t head cases, getting excited about a guy who would have been a really good get THEN, whose probably just another guy now, and who definitely has the burden on him to prove we will ever really see much of him.

This is people who are still excited about Gary Bush, I mean AT Simpson ERRR I MEAN Jared Sparks being excited about someone else

Wole, this may be helpful to explain the differences between x, y, and z receivers. When thinking back to a few things you have posted, I think you are lacking (and that's not meant to be mean and hopefully you don't take it that way) in a bit of knowledge about positions, matchups, motions, etc. You can't just play a kid at TE simply because he is tall and fast. There are so many other factors that go in to that along with the role that the coach wants that player to fill. Taylor provides a ton on the outside as more than just a pass catcher...but as a pass blocker as well in the quick passing game. If you stretch a TE out that far, it is going to tip off a number of different looks. With Taylor out wide, Brohm is given a ton of different options to throw different looks, pattern combos, and screens that he simply couldn't do effectively or couldn't do at all with a TE there.

Differences between X, Y, and Z Receivers

This quick definition of what a TE's responsibilities are traditionally are laid out here:
The tight end is essentially a combination of an offensive lineman and a wide receiver. He's typically bigger and stronger than a wide receiver yet smaller and faster than an offensive lineman. While tight ends can line up virtually anywhere on the field, they are most often aligned directly next to the left or right tackle. Although it's common for one tight end to be on the field, it's becoming increasingly popular to have two tight ends on the field at the same time. The typical tight end is a tall player who's both a skilled pass-catcher and a serviceable blocker.

You can bring the TE off the field and go with a 5 WR look...one in which Taylor is moved around the field a bit. However, it takes a lot of options off the field for Brohm in that instance.

I can’t speak for Wole, but Brohm runs a pro style offense and is creative with how he lines folks up. You are getting hung up on TE and keep thinking about blocking. In a two TE, your second TE essentially becomes a slot reciever and doesn’t necessarily have to line up on the line (like NE used to do). He could play a few feet off the tackle. If his man blitzes, he is tall enough to have the QB dump it off to him over the blitzer as a safety valve, not to mention he is likely to be open if they send his man in. You would also have him run go routes or slants, targeting the safety or the LB in a big mismatch.

Nobody thinks Taylor will replace Hopkins. But I don’t think he has to be pigeon holed to the outside. Move him inside and try and get a LB or Safety on him. Brohm wants to exploit matchups. A receiving “TE” can do that. Receiving TEs have changed the game. Look at Fleener, Hernandez, Ebron, etc. They are/were not blockers. They were receiving TEs.

Obviously, you don’t want Taylor blocking a DE or even a rush linebacker. But you certainly would love them trying to guard him. If you run him at the safety, you can hope that softens the zone or takes the cover safety/second man off Moore. Wright and Taylor both have the body types to do those things. Between Taylor and Wright, either one could fill that role, but Wright has some ridiculous film.

The bottom line, is if they can help right away, Brohm will get them on the field.

Reactions: 72Boiler
I can’t speak for Wole, but Brohm runs a pro style offense and is creative with how he lines folks up. You are getting hung up on TE and keep thinking about blocking. In a two TE, your second TE essentially becomes a slot reciever and doesn’t necessarily have to line up on the line (like NE used to do). He could play a few feet off the tackle. If his man blitzes, he is tall enough to have the QB dump it off to him over the blitzer as a safety valve, not to mention he is likely to be open if they send his man in. You would also have him run go routes or slants, targeting the safety or the LB in a big mismatch.

Nobody thinks Taylor will replace Hopkins. But I don’t think he has to be pigeon holed to the outside. Move him inside and try and get a LB or Safety on him. Brohm wants to exploit matchups. A receiving “TE” can do that. Receiving TEs have changed the game. Look at Fleener, Hernandez, Ebron, etc. They are/were not blockers. They were receiving TEs.

Obviously, you don’t want Taylor blocking a DE or even a rush linebacker. But you certainly would love them trying to guard him. If you run him at the safety, you can hope that softens the zone or takes the cover safety/second man off Moore. Wright and Taylor both have the body types to do those things. Between Taylor and Wright, either one could fill that role, but Wright has some ridiculous film.

The bottom line, is if they can help right away, Brohm will get them on the field.
I never said Brohm wouldn't find a place for Taylor. I simply said because of the pro style offense that you eluded to, you want the TE on the field in some capacity at all times. Rarely last year did you see a TE not being on the field and you saw more times of two TE's than just one. The idea that Taylor could switch or replace the TE just isn't feasible and even Tiller, when he went 5 wide, typically still had a TE in. As you mentioned, you don't want a smaller body having to block a DE or an OLB on a run play one on one. With even a single TE split off the LOS, you still have the chance to move them around via motion or checking the blocking scheme at the LOS.

Taylor isn't and won't be a TE as he provides more on the outside that a TE can't from a multiple looks standpoint within Brohm's offense.

Forgotten in all of this is that Taylor has track speed and is thin for a WR. He's an outside WR.

I never said Brohm wouldn't find a place for Taylor. I simply said because of the pro style offense that you eluded to, you want the TE on the field in some capacity at all times. Rarely last year did you see a TE not being on the field and you saw more times of two TE's than just one. The idea that Taylor could switch or replace the TE just isn't feasible and even Tiller, when he went 5 wide, typically still had a TE in. As you mentioned, you don't want a smaller body having to block a DE or an OLB on a run play one on one. With even a single TE split off the LOS, you still have the chance to move them around via motion or checking the blocking scheme at the LOS.

Taylor isn't and won't be a TE as he provides more on the outside that a TE can't from a multiple looks standpoint within Brohm's offense.

If you know body types (meso, endo, ectomorph) you know the idea of Taylor even being 240 is pretty silly .. best case it’s something that would take way longer than they want to wait.

We are reaching a point where once a receiver redshirts, they probably have a year to either make it happen or get “the talk”

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
If you know body types (meso, endo, ectomorph) you know the idea of Taylor even being 240 is pretty silly .. best case it’s something that would take way longer than they want to wait.
Agree here. Same conversations were had when JaJuan Johnson was here. Dude was never going to gain the weight everyone thought he should. Some people can, some cant.

Reactions: BoilerFYF

another recently was Mike Gisiecki.

WELL, OK, he redshirted his freshman year. he has height and speed. I had read he also has good hands. With all the other much more heralded WRs coming to Purdue, I think the post above said it best. this is his year to prove himself, and if he doesn't he'll get "the talk" .

maybe he'll see some goal line sets. but even if he does, it's doubtful he would be a primary target.

Much like Anderson, his future is in front of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT