ADVERTISEMENT

Kory Taylor

Nov 28, 2012
Anyone heard how Kory is progressing? He was a big name that many wanted, but I haven't heard much about his Spring or camp. Thanks

Sure he’s doing well, but with Wright, Sparks, Burgess and Zico (even Anderson) having more time in the system will make it tough for him to get in the two deeps as an outside guy.

Next year when Zico and Wright are gone, I bet he becomes part of the rotation

He wasnt a mid year enrollee, so he wouldnt have been at the Spring practices.

Like all freshman, im sure he is behind veterans in terms of strength and knowledge of the play book.

Sure he’s doing well, but with Wright, Sparks, Burgess and Zico (even Anderson) having more time in the system will make it tough for him to get in the two deeps as an outside guy.

Next year when Zico and Wright are gone, I bet he becomes part of the rotation

This is how I saw it going down. Not a guy we needed to step up this year...but a guy who can be a big weapon in years moving forward.

He wasnt a mid year enrollee, so he wouldnt have been at the Spring practices.

Like all freshman, im sure he is behind veterans in terms of strength and knowledge of the play book.
When looking at the WR's, he is definitely needing to add some strength. Rondale came in looking like he was ready to play...Kory looked like he was a freshman. With the old red shirt rule, I think he likely would have but with the new four game rule, I think they'll likely hold him out the first four games and allow him to gain some strength and understanding of the playbook.

My thought would be to sit most of the true freshman who are 'tweeners' the first 5 weeks of the season and get the program to the bye week in week 6. After that, I would pick and choose their games to contribute where they are needed or where they could have some success to build their confidence. In Kory's case, I would look for him to play against Illinois, Iowa, Minny, and IU in the second half of the season and retain his red shirt. This new rule, I believe, really helps programs like Purdue who don't recruit at the highest level but will get the chance to develop kids like Kory to essentially be 5 year players.

I think he's pretty clearly a redshirt. Size and strength will be critical for him.
Do you think he is a perfect candidate for why the new RS rule was put in place? Do you think him getting an additional 6-7 weeks to gain size and get in the playbook more and still have his 4 games to redshirt or is it just a flat out RS because of his lack of size?

Do you think he is a perfect candidate for why the new RS rule was put in place? Do you think him getting an additional 6-7 weeks to gain size and get in the playbook more and still have his 4 games to redshirt or is it just a flat out RS because of his lack of size?
Wait. Kory's size is 6'5" and 200#. To me that's a good size for a WR. Or is it really more a strength issue??

This thread brings up an interesting question about the loosened red-shirt rules. Will coaches use potential red-shirts in the early (mostly non-conference) schedule to get some serious playing time in less meaningful games? Or will they spread out the time during the whole season which may help with mid-season injuries to the main personnel. Or a little bit of both? At a certain point, much like mid-season in basketball, I would think coaches would like to have their players' roles locked in and rotations more condensed. I guess we'll just have to see.

I know the first guy I thought about with Taylor was John Standeford. We can all hope...

This thread brings up an interesting question about the loosened red-shirt rules. Will coaches use potential red-shirts in the early (mostly non-conference) schedule to get some serious playing time in less meaningful games? Or will they spread out the time during the whole season which may help with mid-season injuries to the main personnel. Or a little bit of both? At a certain point, much like mid-season in basketball, I would think coaches would like to have their players' roles locked in and rotations more condensed. I guess we'll just have to see.

I know the first guy I thought about with Taylor was John Standeford. We can all hope...
I think it depends on the coaches philosophy and the depth at certain positions. A guy like Taylor could be used if he could add strength and experience but a DB may not necessarily be needed BUT could be used in four games as special teams player to gain experience on the road in games without blowing the RS.

Does anyone else think the new RS rule might disproportionately benefit teams that have light nonconference schedules? As a fan I appreciate the tough schedule.. But football is a brutal sport, and being able to rest your regulars in the fourth quarter and get freshmen game experience is a luxury we may not have this year.

I wonder if it will create a marginal amount of parity in recruiting. With the anticipated increase in players redshirting, recruiting classes may get a hair smaller each year and the trickle down effect could result in fewer players getting scholarships over time. Or would the change be very minimal?

I wonder if it will create a marginal amount of parity in recruiting. With the anticipated increase in players redshirting, recruiting classes may get a hair smaller each year and the trickle down effect could result in fewer players getting scholarships over time. Or would the change be very minimal?
You never shorten your classes because you’ll always need 85 scholarship players. What may happen is the NCAA may have to increase scholarship numbers when schools begin clamoring for them as more RS’s are used and they stick around longer. Wouldn’t be surprised to see something like 88 to 90 OR an additional set of scholarships above 85 to be used in an alternative way for overflow.

You never shorten your classes because you’ll always need 85 scholarship players. What may happen is the NCAA may have to increase scholarship numbers when schools begin clamoring for them as more RS’s are used and they stick around longer. Wouldn’t be surprised to see something like 88 to 90 OR an additional set of scholarships above 85 to be used in an alternative way for overflow.
Well I get you need to keep it up to get 85. But eventually they will lose spots. For example, if we were able to have redshirted Mosley and Criddle from their freshmen year, in 2 years they could have been 5th year seniors and there will be two less schollies. Then the next year 2 less for buys like Larry and Catlett who we had to burn their redshirts this past year, and maybe could have used one on Barnes and Jones if we held them back a little knowing we get another year out of them. If the same is true for the blue bloods, and two of their top recruits fall to 2nd tier teams like Purdue, now Purdue pushes 4 down (2 because they have 2 fewer scholarships and 2 more elite players that a team like OSU passes up on because they have 2 redshirt seniors that otherwise would have burned through their years). Seems like a noticeable difference if we were to say: you get to keep 2 of your top seniors for an extra year and get 2 elite recruits in lieu of your 4 lowest recruits.

And if anything I would suspect they could reduce the number of scholarships with the new rule (I know they wont) since you will be able to put in players out of necessity without burning their redshirts. Before you might have 20 players on your team off limits to maintain redshirt status and so you can only play 65. Now you can play all 85 and if you play your cards right you can still redshirt 20+.

Last edited:
Well I get you need to keep it up to get 85. But eventually they will lose spots. For example, if we were able to have redshirted Fuller and Sindelar from their freshmen year, in 2 years they coudl have been 5th year seniors and there will be two less schollies. Then the next year 2 less for buys like Larry and Catlett who we had to burn their redshirts this past year, and maybe could have used one on Barnes and Jones if we held them back a little knowing we get another year out of them. If the same is true for the blue bloods, and two of their top recruits fall to 2nd tier teams like Purdue, now Purdue pushes 4 down (2 because they have 2 fewer scholarships and 2 more elite players that a team like OSU passes up on because they have 2 redshirt seniors that otherwise would have burned through their years). Seems like a noticeable difference if we were to say: you get to keep 2 of your top seniors for an extra year and get 2 elite recruits in lieu of your 4 lowest recruits.

And if anything I would suspect they could reduce the number of scholarships with the new rule (I know they wont) since you will be able to put in players out of necessity without burning their redshirts. Before you might have 20 players on your team off limits to maintain redshirt status and so you can only play 65. Now you can play all 85 and if you play your cards right you can still redshirt 20+.
That’s why I said I thought the NCAA might think of bumping the total number of 3 to 88. It would likely offset that number imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT