ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Warren the phony baloney left the Big Ten a mess - now proven correct in today's news

SLoopBoiler

Senior
Feb 11, 2002
I have said all along that Kevin Warren was a phony incompetent hire. When he left in January, I asked why would you leave after
creating the mega conference deal of the century? Because it was all about to be exposed like a house of cards. This guy knew nothing about the
role of finishing details, nor cared for the history of the Big Ten.

He's now cost the Big Ten another $100,000,000 either squandered, bad deals, and missed details.

Let's not forget the COVID response debacle, and then him trying to use the conference's media, social media, and member institution contact databases to
influence the election for Biden, while pushing his voter registration agenda.

Equity hire

I have said all along that Kevin Warren was a phony incompetent hire. When he left in January, I asked why would you leave after
creating the mega conference deal of the century? Because it was all about to be exposed like a house of cards. This guy knew nothing about the

He's now cost the Big Ten another $100,000,000 either squandered, bad deals, and missed details.

Let's not forget the COVID response debacle, and then him trying to use the conference's media, social media, and member institution contact databases to

Equity hire
Wait so is the tv deal now a bad deal?

Wait so is the tv deal now a bad deal?
Evidently

Thamel then underlined three major points that Warren left Petiti and Big Ten schools to deal with.

• They are going to have to pay back nearly $40 million to Fox because, according to sources, Warren delivered NBC the Big Ten football title game in 2026 without the full authority to do so. This all has unfolded under the complicated backdrop of the Big Ten conference not actually controlling the rights to the inventory of this latest deal — the Big Ten Network does, which is majority owned by Fox. (More on that below.)
  • They are going to have to pay $25 million total for a deal to pay Fox back for lost 2020 football game inventory. This came after an arrangement between Fox and the conference that was unable to muster the lost revenue from the COVID-19 season.
  • There’s tens of millions of dollars of value of the NBC primetime deal in flux, as Petitti has been racing to ensure it keeps as much of its original value as possible. Historically in the Big Ten, after the first weekend in November, schools were not required to play night games for myriad reasons — health, recovery and campus logistics among them. These were known in league circles as “tolerances,” and prior television contracts accounted for them.

So what's this all boil down to? The conference is going to lose maybe $100M from the TV deal? Oh no, what a disaster! The deal was only $7 billion in the first place! SEVEN BILLION. This is a drop in the bucket. ESPN is for sure going to sensationalize this, they got left out of the deal. The Bears BTW are in fine shape with their new President.

So what's this all boil down to? The conference is going to lose maybe $100M from the TV deal? Oh no, what a disaster! The deal was only $7 billion in the first place! SEVEN BILLION. This is a drop in the bucket. ESPN is for sure going to sensationalize this, they got left out of the deal. The Bears BTW are in fine shape with their new President.
Worse than that - https://www.espn.com/college-footba...missioner-television-deal-coaches-uncertainty

In this environment with inflation, every university is having issues. $100million, for starters, is a lot.

Worse than that - https://www.espn.com/college-footba...missioner-television-deal-coaches-uncertainty

In this environment with inflation, every university is having issues. $100million, for starters, is a lot.
Relax. $100m is not a lot when you're talking about a $7B deal. It's still a monster deal and it dwarfs that of the SEC. Delaney is the one who handed over the rights, and it cost a little money to get out of that deal and into a better one.

But I guess we should definitely feel sorry for Ohio St. I mean a night game in November???!?!? Oh no. Give me a break, this whole thing is a nothingburger.

Reactions: Cleanface
Relax. $100m is not a lot when you're talking about a $7B deal. It's still a monster deal and it dwarfs that of the SEC. Delaney is the one who handed over the rights, and it cost a little money to get out of that deal and into a better one.

But I guess we should definitely feel sorry for Ohio St. I mean a night game in November???!?!? Oh no. Give me a break, this whole thing is a nothingburger.
Night games typically are slightly warmer than the ridiculous noon (or even 11a) kickoffs. Better for tailgating too.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Just think about the UCLA at IU game- 9 am PST ! Pancakes and pigskins !
Like watching one of the ridiculous nfl Europe games.

I thought the btn (the media conglomerate formerly known as the Big Ten Conf) would have signed up two more west coast schools for scheduling reasons if nothing else. Football won't be all that bad, with maybe three trips each season to the midwest/east for the two LA teams, and all the games on the weekend. And maybe a bye week for each after one of those trips.

But hoops travel will be absurd - not that the btn makes any pretense of concern about student-player well-being and academics.

Reactions: Schnelk
Like watching one of the ridiculous nfl Europe games.

I thought the btn (the media conglomerate formerly known as the Big Ten Conf) would have signed up two more west coast schools for scheduling reasons if nothing else. Football won't be all that bad, with maybe three trips each season to the midwest/east for the two LA teams, and all the games on the weekend. And maybe a bye week for each after one of those trips.

But hoops travel will be absurd - not that the btn makes any pretense of concern about student-player well-being and academics.
You mean cause of the time or cause it’s IU? They are gonna be Gerry dinardo bad this year.. and that’s according to their own premium article lol. One of the guys who likes to act like everything is great on the free board posted something like “geez, not used to things being so blunt here” lol

You mean cause of the time or cause it’s IU? They are gonna be Gerry dinardo bad this year.. and that’s according to their own premium article lol. One of the guys who likes to act like everything is great on the free board posted something like “geez, not used to things being so blunt here” lol
Good thought. Playing Rev Coach Leo's boys in clown town will be like an off week for the LA teams, other than the long flights.

• Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Good thought. Playing Rev Coach Leo's boys in clown town will be like an off week for the LA teams, other than the long flights.
They had an article about this coming season on their premium board. It was all gloomy and contained stuff like this:

“Nowhere to go but down. When I sit and think about what is this team's biggest concern, a few things come to mind but honestly, the biggest one is that I have no idea where this program is going.”

Oh no. Now today we have more confirmation of what a mess this deal was that Warren got us into. Michigan St. has to play Penn St. at Ford Field on black Friday at 7:30 PM. Absolutely unfathomable. Warren's house of cards is collapsing in a hurry. The B1G is screwed.

Oh no. Now today we have more confirmation of what a mess this deal was that Warren got us into. Michigan St. has to play Penn St. at Ford Field on black Friday at 7:30 PM. Absolutely unfathomable. Warren's house of cards is collapsing in a hurry. The B1G is screwed.
The NFL is taking Black Friday.

Equity hire
"I have said all along that Kevin Warren was a phony incompetent hire" - Wait, so you know him personally?
Or just making a pre-judgment? From a distance.
Based on what?
Gee i bet you post on the main board....
Lame as ****.

Last edited:
"I have said all along that Kevin Warren was a phony incompetent hire" - Wait, so you know him personally?
Or just making a pre-judgment? From a distance.
Based on what?
Gee i bet you post on the main board....
Lame as ****.
I don’t know if warren is phoned but it’s not great with this deal.. no?

I don’t know if warren is phoned but it’s not great with this deal.. no?
How would you know that? Because 1 article shows the weakest points of a huge, encompassing agreement? No
Likely another writer could write a response showing 3 GREAT parts of the huge, encompassing agreement for the Big 10.

How would you know that? Because 1 article shows the weakest points of a huge, encompassing agreement? No
Likely another writer could write a response showing 3 GREAT parts of the huge, encompassing agreement for the Big 10.
I meant the weakest points. They aren’t great. We already knew the deal was great .. he was negotiating on behalf of the big ten, an extremely valuable conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT