ADVERTISEMENT

Kelsey Barlow's book

no but are there any key events that the book mentions

Mentions getting in trouble with CMP, what led up to it, and ultimately his dismissal from the team. He certainly had his troubles at UIC after the transfer too. On one hand it's a pretty funny read but also kind of sad (lack of priorities). To his credit, he owned up to his actions.

Mentions getting in trouble with CMP, what led up to it, and ultimately his dismissal from the team. He certainly had his troubles at UIC after the transfer too. On one hand it's a pretty funny read but also kind of sad (lack of priorities). To his credit, he owned up to his actions.

May be old news to some but he published a "tell all" e-book. It's only around 66 pages, no purchase necessary: https://online.flippingbook.com/view/171732/2/#zoom=z

Admits to some pretty over-the-top stuff. Fairly amazing that he lasted even two years due to the amount of partying, etc.

Anyone else read it?

I think it's just 2 chapters out of 12 of the first book. It's really just a preview of an entire book. The first book of 7 in a series.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Have any good ball-rack stories?

This is guy is hilarious. I remember there being a rumor that Kelsey Barlow demonstrated his inner Zeus by lifting an entire ball rack over his head.
Mortality took over, he no longer could hold the ball rack. He dropped it on his own head as a sacrifice to the basketball Gods. He then became paralyzed. Matt Painter had no choice but to kick him off the team, in order to prevent the truth that Kelsey Barlow has Zeus like power. Matt Painter suspended the young player for conduct detrimental to the team to hide Kelsey Barlow from the media while Kelsey Barlow recovered from being paralyzed.

Kelsey Barlow ultimately made a full recovery and participated with the boilers the following season.

I was always curious is Barlow and Painter made up over time. I had heard that Bryson and Painter had, but I know the situations were different.

Reactions: boilerupmoose3
The way you described that sounds like an awful time. Sounds pretty gross. Jeeze

If you don’t understand that reference then where are you hiding the real Kelsey.....???? Because he definitely would remember where that reference came from.....:D

Reactions: plcosby
Always enjoyed watching the real KB play, wherever he is now. Loved some insight on it all, especially being an Indy/Purdue guy.

Reactions: chaspark
It's still disappointing to me that Barlow and Byrd didn't turn out to be a killer backcourt for their junior and senior years.

I read the first 2 chapters he posted. I was always a huge Kelsey fan, and wished we could have seen him really turn it loose . I have to say for me it’s a pretty good read from his perspective and he isn’t sugar coating anything about his shenanigans, and it’s actually pretty funny . Looking forward to the rest of the book, and hopefully there will be a pencil sketch of Sasha , LOL.

I read the first 2 chapters he posted. I was always a huge Kelsey fan, and wished we could have seen him really turn it loose . I have to say for me it’s a pretty good read from his perspective and he isn’t sugar coating anything about his shenanigans, and it’s actually pretty funny . Looking forward to the rest of the book, and hopefully there will be a pencil sketch of Sasha , LOL.

First of all RiP Lucy. I'm glad all those who have read the first two chapters enjoyed it. I'll be releasing the rest of the book next week. You guys are in for a nice little treat. Thank me later.

#stambi

I was a terrible basketball player. I'm shocked any of you liked me as a player. I was pure garbage.

Honestly didn't know GDB was a nickname given to me until I left Purdue. I was in my own little world at that school. Purdue is very entertaining. Had to write a book series and give Purdue the proper credit it deserves.
It wasn’t a nickname. It was an exclamation made time and time again.

Reactions: plcosby
How did you like playing for the grand rapids drive, and how did you like the city in general? I currently live here. Caught one of your games at the deltaplex.

How did you like playing for the grand rapids drive, and how did you like the city in general? I currently live here. Caught one of your games at the deltaplex.

You never expect to be in such a place but you're there and I ended up enjoying myself. I played with some pretty unique players from: Hasheem Thabeet, Devin Ebanks, Dahntay Jones, Ben Hansborough , and a list of others. I like Grand Rapids, it's nice. The Krispy Kreme is great. The city moves at a pretty good speed for a g league city. I learned a lot during my time in Grand Rapids.

You were by far my favorite player on the team as well, enough so that i made an account tonight to tell you! Very much hope life is going well for you and appreciate you coming and chatting with us.

Wow, thank you. I appreciate the praise. Life is pretty cool, I think I do some pretty fun sh**. I hope your life is going well. Don't know your name but I hope you're flourishing. I didn't know these message boards existed until I released the first two chapters of the book. My friends told me to come check it out.People really love basketball. Ball is life.

My name is Brian. Am doing pretty well. Started an engineering company 6 years ago and still in business and growing. Pretty good to do from the ground up. My son is 14 years old and every other saturday when i get home he destroys me in one on one. We play for a good 3-4 hours, beat the other person by 10, so yeah, ball is life. It is super fun for me though cause he can do things with a basketball that i could never ever do even when i was at purdue.

Reactions: bredeweg44
I was thourougly disapointed when you were kicked off the team, I knew without you they werent advancing far, and I think against VCU would have won. If Im remembering correctly. I remember sitting by hummels mom at game and said just take caroll out and let Barlow play pf, and robbie play center. She looked prettt irritated that I would say that but Caroll those first couple years were rough until Hammons came in. Those were the years where Purdue didnt really have a backup center.

Reactions: bredeweg44
My name is Brian. Am doing pretty well. Started an engineering company 6 years ago and still in business and growing. Pretty good to do from the ground up. My son is 14 years old and every other saturday when i get home he destroys me in one on one. We play for a good 3-4 hours, beat the other person by 10, so yeah, ball is life. It is super fun for me though cause he can do things with a basketball that i could never ever do even when i was at purdue.

Much respect ! I thought all fathers and sons had migrated over to Fortnite by now. That’s great, I’m sure you will take your company to the mountain top.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Lol whatever It was I’ll take god in the same sentence as my name every time
If you are truly Kelsey, I wish you well. It was pretty frustrating watching you play however. What could have been I suppose, but man you sure did make some bizarre choices.

I think in Matt Painter’s defense often times the fan base wants the Purdue Basketball team presented in a particular way. The fan base wants to win in a particular way. Blue collar community. Unfortunately for job security, amongst other things he has to cater to this style to some degree. In that situation he has to keep a Travis Carroll, Ryne Smith sort of player on the court.

I disagree with what I think you’re saying. Smith made the offense run smoothly. Night and day difference with how the O looked when he was out. This shows up in his phenomenal A/TO ratio.

I think everybody realized carrol was overmatched physically, but we didn’t have a lot of options at the time.

One of my very favorite Purdue plays ever was in the MSU game, Barlow took it the length of the court for a dunk.

I don’t think we would have won against VCU had Barlow been on the team, but we would have beaten Kansas and the next year would have been a lot more fun.

If you are truly Kelsey, I wish you well. It was pretty frustrating watching you play however. What could have been I suppose, but man you sure did make some bizarre choices.

Coach painter has a system for his players both on the court and off the court. His job is to prepare his players how to be prepared to go work for someone. Most Purdue players mentalities is after college, “I’ll go work for someone”. I never thought about going to work for someone. I’ve done it as a professional player but I treat it like a hobby even in that setting. I’ll never treat basketball like a job.

So at Purdue I tried to trump the system, that obviously didn’t go so well. I was pretty close to trumping it though, so I’m sure I appeared pretty bizarre.

College basketball in itself is bizarre.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT