ADVERTISEMENT

Keep An Eye On Todd Monken...

BoilerInChiTown

True Freshman
Oct 5, 2016
Not much talk of him on this site, but currently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Georgia. Has spend some time in the NFL and was the head coach at Southern Miss.
Turn Southern Miss around from a 1-10 record to 9-5 in the third year, left to the NFL and came back to college/Georgia.

This would be a good get for Purdue and should be a good fit.

He would likely want to coach the playoffs and giving the go ahead to an incoming head coach really worked out that one time...

Reactions: SLoopBoiler
It could happen. He’s as likely a choice as any other coach mentioned. Purdue will pay a decent salary

Not much talk of him on this site, but currently the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Georgia. Has spend some time in the NFL and was the head coach at Southern Miss.
Turn Southern Miss around from a 1-10 record to 9-5 in the third year, left to the NFL and came back to college/Georgia.

Reactions: Mobes
He likes the college game it seems. He came back after spending time in the NFL with Tampa Bay and Cleveland. NFL background is a plus. Born in the Midwest but has SEC exposure with GA and LSU. He also has college HC experience. Offensive coordinator for national title team. That would gain traction in recruiting.

Was looking at one of GAs message boards. Sounds like Monken doesn't like to recruit and can coordinate with his feet up...which is probably true given the amount of talent they have.

At first I was intrigued, but I just don't think his success would translate well at Purdue.

Monkens a no for me.

Was looking at one of GAs message boards. Sounds like Monken doesn't like to recruit and can coordinate with his feet up...which is probably true given the amount of talent they have.

At first I was intrigued, but I just don't think his success would translate well at Purdue.

Monkens a no for me.
That is my fear if he will be a high energy recruiter or hire people that are around him.

Monkens a no for me.
You get motivated when you salary suddenly doubled from $2M to $4M. Also, he probably doesn't need to recruit to Georgia same as O$U where their football program recruit itself. To me, he's the high scoring creative offensive mind that we need at Purdue. Is he interested is another question...I say, make he say no to you with a $4.5M carrot.

Last edited:
That was Hazell’s problem. He was never a recruiter at OSU. He came to Purdue and just expected players to sign here.

Purdue doesn’t need just a great oc from a great school. It needs a coach who is also a great recruiter!

Reactions: boiler44

Run first offense, huge offensive linemen, 2 tight ends. Does not spread it out. Not a fit.

I found this oldie around Monken when he was OC at Oklahoma St. Okie St beat us pretty bad in that bowl game.

Run first offense, huge offensive linemen, 2 tight ends. Does not spread it out. Not a fit.
Ga was 60% pass yds and 40% running yds. Pretty much 50/50 pass plays to run plays. They had about same number passing yds as Purdue. Surprised? And 1000 yds more running.

They used their Mackey Award TE as a WR. Huge OL. Run blocking and protect the QB. What a concept.

Ga spread it out. Yep. Purdue, pass to same recvr 3 straight plays. Many times throughout the year.

Monkens a no for me.
that is why Shephard as coach-recruiter?

that is why Shephard as coach-recruiter?
Feel like it’s a big $# to even entice him to venture out in the HC role again. Not sure how much Shephard is making but that means a lighter assistant pool.

If you believe Brohm @ his word, he literally said Bobinski expressed to him “name the number and the years” in his intro presser. We are ready to spend the new B1G TV dollars, let’s hope and pray we get this right. Cautious excitement nonetheless.

Ga was 60% pass yds and 40% running yds. Pretty much 50/50 pass plays to run plays. They had about same number passing yds as Purdue. Surprised? And 1000 yds more running.

They used their Mackey Award TE as a WR. Huge OL. Run blocking and protect the QB. What a concept.

Ga spread it out. Yep. Purdue, pass to same recvr 3 straight plays. Many times throughout the year.
We hardly threw the ball in 4th quarter all year... basically just pounded the other teams and ran clock. Monken would be a home run hire if he wants the added stress of a hc... he is 57 and is probably looking at ten more years. He would bring Buster Faulkner as as his oc and quarterback coach... Buster is currently an analyst with us and was Todd's oc at Southern Miss.

Todd is not required to do too much off site recruiting for us... think that was a stipulation for him coming to Athens. Who knows what will happen but I imagine it would be difficult to say no to $30 million guaranteed. If he does come then ya'll had better gas up the jet... Kirby spares no expense in recruiting and I imagine Todd has learned to demand the same.

We hardly threw the ball in 4th quarter all year... basically just pounded the other teams and ran clock. Monken would be a home run hire if he wants the added stress of a hc... he is 57 and is probably looking at ten more years. He would bring Buster Faulkner as as his oc and quarterback coach... Buster is currently an analyst with us and was Todd's oc at Southern Miss.

Todd is not required to do too much off site recruiting for us... think that was a stipulation for him coming to Athens. Who knows what will happen but I imagine it would be difficult to say no to $30 million guaranteed. If he does come then ya'll had better gas up the jet... Kirby spares no expense in recruiting and I imagine Todd has learned to demand the same.
We’re Purdue. We may not have a 100,000 seat football stadium, but we got us an Aviation School. And JETS.

Thank you dawg for your insight.
When you are not one-dimensional like Purdue, you don't need to pass 50 times a game. It's okay when you are ahead to rely on your 5-star running back and use your Mackey Award TE to get you that W.
BTW, Monken turned a former walk-on in Streton Bennett into a Heisman finalist this year.
Sounds very familiar and definitely like a winner to me.

Reactions: krf3632
He’s been mentioned as a candidate for virtually every P5 position that has come available the past two seasons.

My main concern is how motivated he’ll be to recruit. It’ll be significantly harder than at Georgia.

If Bobinski is going to take a risk and target a highly regarded coordinator instead of a proven HC, I’d rather him go all in on Garrett Riley.

If Riley does well, he will probably leave in a few years. See his brother leaving Oklahoma to USC. Monken might provide more stability. This would be his last gig if he does well, similar to Tiller. Both would be good hires though. We just might be doing this search again in a few years with Riley.

If Riley does well, he will probably leave in a few years. See his brother leaving Oklahoma to USC. Monken might provide more stability. This would be his last gig if he does well, similar to Tiller. Both would be good hires though. We just might be doing this search again in a few years with Riley.

That would be fine because that would mean he was successful here,

Reactions: Purdue80 and TX4GB
Thank you dawg for your insight.
When you are not one-dimensional like Purdue, you don't need to pass 50 times a game. It's okay when you are ahead to rely on your 5-star running back and use your Mackey Award TE to get you that W.
BTW, Monken turned a former walk-on in Streton Bennett into a Heisman finalist this year.
Sounds very familiar and definitely like a winner to me.
Good luck to you with your coaching search and everything else!

Reactions: Golfingsmitty1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT