ADVERTISEMENT

Just how good is this team?

BretRobert1

Senior
Nov 22, 2009
It's obviously early in the season, but this team is just so impressive. I personally haven't been this bullish on a Purdue team since Purdue went on that 10 game conference winning streak before Robbie went do his Jr year at Minny. I believe Purdue was 24-3 at the time and riding a 10 (or maybe more) game winning streak. During Vince, Dakota and PJ's Sr year, Purdue went on an 18 game winning streak (I believe) but, I personally think both the 2010 team and this team are more complete than that team.

This squad actually reminds me a lot of the Duke team that beat Purdue in the Sweet 16 in 2010 and then went on to win the national championship. Not specifically from a player personnel standpoint, but with the depth, specifically in the front court, and by how the players complemented each others skill sets and played so unselfishly. Purdue's depth this season, I just really think is going to help avoid upsets, which is obviously huge come tournament time. I just don't see how a mid-major or 7-16 seed type team can possibly match-up with a healthy Purdue team this year.

Prior to yesterday's game I told a buddy, after looking at the schedule, I could see Purdue finishing the season with something like a 34-5 record. It's only been 1 game since that projection, but if Purdue stays healthy, I kinda think that may be too conservative, especially if the squad improves on the defensive side of the ball - which I think they will as Furst gets more experience and with the team just getting more games/practice in together under Painter's tutelage.

IMO, the regular season games that will likely be the most challenging are:
-@ Michigan. However, the more I watch Michigan play, the more I like Purdue's chances in this game.
-The two game stretch where Purdue plays @ Illinois and @ Indinia in 4 days.
-Two game stretch where Purdue plays @MSU and @ Wisconsin at the end of the year.
-There are a couple home stretches that are unfavorable, but Purdue is going to be extremely tough to beat @ home this year, so I didn't reference them.

From a statistical standpoint, with Purdue's big's scoring with a 70% FG percentage and the team shooting so effectively from deep - - based on getting good looks with spacing, this team is going to be be just so hard to beat if they take care of the ball and continue to improve on defense. That said, with the amount of depth on the team, Purdue has such an advantage over everyone else from a practice perspective to improve on those two traits referenced (limiting turnovers and improving defense). As the old saying go, iron sharpens iron. And I think Coach Paint is going to get these guys sticky sharp.

So who beats this team prior to the conference tournament, and why/how does Purdue lose?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News