ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Rucker DB from Texas

Moved the recruiting class from 42 to 39.

As Rivals only takes the top 20 a few more three star guys could move it to the mid/low 30s (which it will drop once bigger programs fill up)

@takedownboiler, please release your inside information.........
I really hope your right, we need some continued good recruiting news for a while, to pull us out of this pit we are in, with these last couple heartbreaking losses for the Boilers. It’s gonna happen, stick around!
a couple of fridays ago in the smoke clears when Harris decommitted thread, I posted maybe Parker or Rucker will be next. I like this one due to his size, real good pickup.

So will Purdue keep all 5 DB commits? Seems like a lot.
Purdue loses its best overall CB (Hunte), a grad transfer who starts (Okonye), and will end up losing a backup/starter (Hardy). In the 2018 season, Purdue will lose 4 more that are currently in then 2 deep at CB and S. This is the season you replenish to allow them time to acclimate and not be needed on a full time basis unless they are that talented.

This is an aspect to Brohm’s recruiting that Purdue hasn’t had since Tiller...a coach who is able to plan further ahead than one year, which is why The cupboard is bare on OL, DL, and DB’s while it is stocked at RB.

Purdue loses its best overall CB (Hunte), a grad transfer who starts (Okonye), and will end up losing a backup/starter (Hardy). In the 2018 season, Purdue will lose 4 more that are currently in then 2 deep at CB and S. This is the season you replenish to allow them time to acclimate and not be needed on a full time basis unless they are that talented.

This is an aspect to Brohm’s recruiting that Purdue hasn’t had since Tiller...a coach who is able to plan further ahead than one year, which is why The cupboard is bare on OL, DL, and DB’s while it is stocked at RB.

I would tend to disagree. Hazell was always signing DBs. he signed 4 in 2013; 4 in 2014, 3 in 2015, 6 in 2016, and Brohm signed 4 in 2017. if anything, one would believe we have an abundance of DBs and don't really need to sign 5 more in one class. Hazell loved recruiting RBs and DBs.

Admittedly, many of those Dbs signed have left due to circumstances and attrition and stealing bikes and other issues. however, Brohm signing 9 DBs in the last two years does seem like a lot.

given a preference, with our scholarships already over the limit, I would have rather that scholarship go to a LB than another DB. I guess Brohm expects to lose another one of Hazell's db recruits.

I would tend to disagree. Hazell was always signing DBs. he signed 4 in 2013; 4 in 2014, 3 in 2015, 6 in 2016, and Brohm signed 4 in 2017. if anything, one would believe we have an abundance of DBs and don't really need to sign 5 more in one class. Hazell loved recruiting RBs and DBs.

Admittedly, many of those Dbs signed have left due to circumstances and attrition and stealing bikes and other issues. however, Brohm signing 9 DBs in the last two years does seem like a lot.

given a preference, with our scholarships already over the limit, I would have rather that scholarship go to a LB than another DB. I guess Brohm expects to lose another one of Hazell's db recruits.
Most of the DBs D-Haze signed suck and currently don't see the field. If Brohm and staff thought they were any good, he wouldn't be bringing in so many DBs in this class. And 2 of the 5 are Safeties, and 3 are Corners. There will be more attrition in the offseason.

And if by some miracle Brents commits that would be 6, or is this commitment an indication that Brohm knows we aren't getting Brents? I think I've gone cross eyed thinking too hard about it!

Couple of these DBs are big guys...could morph into linebackers with weight room time

I like the idea of taking a big safety, make him just a bit bigger and put him at LB. It would in theory help with our seemingly never-ending problems in coverage from our LBs.

And if by some miracle Brents commits that would be 6, or is this commitment an indication that Brohm knows we aren't getting Brents? I think I've gone cross eyed thinking too hard about it!
or maybe if we get Brents a guy like Kadin Smith has a change of plans like Harris did when Anderson was coming aboard.

or maybe if we get Brents a guy like Kadin Smith has a change of plans like Harris did when Anderson was coming aboard.

Brents has serious eligibility concerns. Not specifically qualifying, but staying qualified once he's enrolled.

Those numbers don't count if they never see the field for issues other than injury.....Recruiting involves doing ones Due Diligence and that is where Haze screwed the pooch when it came to identifying Talent and Character...

Reactions: ChuckJr
Those numbers don't count if they never see the field for issues other than injury.....Recruiting involves doing ones Due Diligence and that is where Haze screwed the pooch when it came to identifying Talent and Character...

Three of the players recruited to play DB were thrown off the team.

My point is not the talent level or character of the players Hazell recruited. My point was that Hazell loved to recruit DBs even more than he loved to recruit RBs. Hazell way overloaded recruiting DBs. the other part of my point is if Hazell had recruited decent Dbs to begin with, Brohm would not have to use 5 scholarships one year and 4 another year to recruit more Dbs to fill their holes.

We should have adequate Dbs already in place to replace the ones graduating. unfortunately, because of Hazell, we don't. Of the 17 Dbs Hazell recruited, how many are still on the roster??? Admittedly, some of those DBs were safeties. But that's a lot of wasted scholarships for Brohm to sign 9 more DBs to replace them.

My point is not the talent level or character of the players Hazell recruited. My point was that Hazell loved to recruit DBs even more than he loved to recruit RBs. Hazell way overloaded recruiting DBs. the other part of my point is if Hazell had recruited decent Dbs to begin with, Brohm would not have to use 5 scholarships one year and 4 another year to recruit more Dbs to fill their holes.

We should have adequate Dbs already in place to replace the ones graduating. unfortunately, because of Hazell, we don't. Of the 17 Dbs Hazell recruited, how many are still on the roster??? Admittedly, some of those DBs were safeties. But that's a lot of wasted scholarships for Brohm to sign 9 more DBs to replace them.
And that is just the point.......Character and Talent mean a lot.... So Haze over recruited DB`s "That had flaws that kept them from ever really producing"
now it is JB`s turn to over recruit players for DL and OL.... JB is on the rite track!!

Sorry, I trust Coach Brohm's, Coach Holt's, Coach Poindexter's, and Coach Jackson's opinions much more than yours on this. They know what they need for their schemes, and you don't have a clue.

Hazell got decent DB’s to commit to Purdue but almost all of the good ones decommitted.
That’s what sucked.

200w.gif

My only point was that Hazell over -recruited on DBs as well as RBs. And that created a lot of problems elsewhere. I still cannot believe he had a recruiting class of 23 players, and only one was an offensive lineman. Additionally almost every single DB Hazell recruited is no longer at Purdue. if hazell had done his job, Brohm wouldn't have to be recruiting more Dbs, as we'd already have enough depth at that position. Hazell's actions have created problems for Brohm in that he's had to continue to recruit more Dbs than he normally would.

brohm has recruited 9 Dbs in two years, and it could easily end up being 10. We criticized Hazell for recruiting a lot of players at one position. on the surface brohm is having to do the same thing to correct Hazell's mistakes.

My only point was that Hazell over -recruited on DBs as well as RBs. And that created a lot of problems elsewhere. I still cannot believe he had a recruiting class of 23 players, and only one was an offensive lineman. Additionally almost every single DB Hazell recruited is no longer at Purdue. if hazell had done his job, Brohm wouldn't have to be recruiting more Dbs, as we'd already have enough depth at that position. Hazell's actions have created problems for Brohm in that he's had to continue to recruit more Dbs than he normally would.

brohm has recruited 9 Dbs in two years, and it could easily end up being 10. We criticized Hazell for recruiting a lot of players at one position. on the surface brohm is having to do the same thing to correct Hazell's mistakes.

Nasty cycle once you get into it.

Hope had to over recruit skilled position players following Tiller and ignored the lines until it was too late.

Nasty cycle once you get into it.

Hope had to over recruit skilled position players following Tiller and ignored the lines until it was too late.

I still can't believe that one class of hazell's where he had 23 recruits, with one OL, and his last three signees were 2 Rbs and 1 db. And NO jucos. I would have accepted a 2* OL just to be a space filler over RBs Byars and Dawkins.

looking at the rear view mirror, I know Gregory would have been a tremendous talent, but I'm glad he decommitted and went to Nebraska.

I still can't believe that one class of hazell's where he had 23 recruits, with one OL, and his last three signees were 2 Rbs and 1 db. And NO jucos. I would have accepted a 2* OL just to be a space filler over RBs Byars and Dawkins.
Which is why there is so much more to a good recruiting class than star rating. Brohm had to cobble the 2017 class together last-minute and plug some glaring holes. Now with the 2018 class we are seeing both quality and balance.

Which is why there is so much more to a good recruiting class than star rating. Brohm had to cobble the 2017 class together last-minute and plug some glaring holes. Now with the 2018 class we are seeing both quality and balance.

I liked brohm's first class because he took the time to assess our needs, and he made some major decisions to plug some huge holes. Maybe Zico and Holmes didn't work out as hoped, but they were talented players addressing a huge need. One would think a juco and a transfer from ND would be ready and talented enough to start.

This class is heavy on DBs but also has players at each position to address our needs. it's not as loaded with Jucos and transfers, but does have some quality players who could contribute as freshmen. it does appear we're close to maxing out, and we will see either some attrition or de-commitments before January. I'd welcome the addition of Moore and Brents, and trying to flip a couple of other players, but it appears that will be at the expense of another recruit. my hope is Brohm is honest and also gives that other recruit time and a chance to latch on somewhere else.

Something I liked about the Louisville coach. When he was full or couldn't utilize a player, he recommended the player to Brohm at WKU. Brohm received a bunch of players via the Louisville coach. I doubt he does the same to Brohm at Purdue. but I 'd like to believe Brohm would do the same and help a commit find a new school if his future is not at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT