ADVERTISEMENT

Jake’s, Bar Barry ... gone with the wind

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
Jake’s Roadhouse on Chauncey Hill closed its doors Saturday and vacated this week. https://www.purdueexponent.org/campus/article_651513d2-9bec-11e8-a53e-53e2d0cac25a.html

Bar Barry Liquors also went out of business in the past year in West Lafayette while all of its other Lafayette area stores stayed open.

What the heck is going on? More students than ever but less-than-ever partying?

We alums have grave concerns for future Purdue students -- failing to learn how far they can press limits before entering the real world. Grads must be ready to handle working lunches, not to mention after-hours dealings, instead of being wiped out of business by a single light lager.

Above all, we have a big reputation to uphold -- what other school has a drink for a nickname?
Bottoms up, Boilermakers. Stop the belly-ups.

Jake’s Roadhouse on Chauncey Hill closed its doors Saturday and vacated this week. https://www.purdueexponent.org/campus/article_651513d2-9bec-11e8-a53e-53e2d0cac25a.html

Bar Barry Liquors also went out of business in the past year in West Lafayette while all of its other Lafayette area stores stayed open.

We alums have grave concerns for future Purdue students -- failing to learn how far they can press limits before entering the real world. Grads must be ready to handle working lunches, not to mention after-hours dealings, instead of being wiped out of business by a single light lager.

Above all, we have a big reputation to uphold -- what other school has a drink for a nickname?
the process of natural selection.

adapt . . . or die.

Reactions: Mullah
I feel old. I was in college when Jake's opened. Anybody been to DT Kirby's? Just ate there for the first time a few weeks ago. Food was great! Can't speak for the beer though. Had a long drive ahead and thought I needed caffeine more.

They are trying to build up a downtown like Carmel and Westfield. Lots of high rise apartments with stores in the first level. It looks very nice and trendy, but a lot of the local places are getting taken out because they can’t compete or the new owners don’t want them in the new building. I believe Where Else will be sticking around but it is going to cost a ton of money to soundproof a new bar/club under an apartment building.

They are trying to build up a downtown like Carmel and Westfield. Lots of high rise apartments with stores in the first level. It looks very nice and trendy, but a lot of the local places are getting taken out because they can’t compete or the new owners don’t want them in the new building. I believe Where Else will be sticking around but it is going to cost a ton of money to soundproof a new bar/club under an apartment building.

This is happening all over. Even the directional schools - like Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, Arizona where I live and work - are growing and building up the downtown areas due to enrollment expansion (see link - scroll down for the new apartments.) And the enrollment goal for NAU is 36,000 students (in a city of 72,000 population) by 2025.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=174404

Everywhere I go in Flag, there are apartment buildings going up, complete with ground floor shops and integrated parking garages. A lot of residents here are up in arms due to the already oppressive traffic conditions around the campus area. And the problem does not get any better in the summer, when the crowds come in to escape from the heat of the desert 120 miles away down in Phoenix, which is the 6th largest metro area in the U.S.

It seems the battle among universities is not just about building top facilities to attract the best athletes, but also to create the most dynamic environment to attract the best students, especially to combat losses incurred due to all the expanding online university options.

Unfortunately, with all this development, Flagstaff is now the most expensive place in Arizona to live, and it won't be getting any cheaper anytime soon.

Hope this does not happen to the same extent in West Lafayette.

JMHOAU

Chauncey hill mall is an eyesore. I don’t know what you mean by “local” places, but Most of the stores there are chains. If you have a successful brand like jake’s, I don’t know why you can’t open that across the street. There’s available retail space near Mackey.

My point is that bars come and go all too frequently at Purdue. For some reason, Purdue can’t seem to keep bars and restaurants. How many places Are the same now as 20 years ago? Not many. I think this new downtown area is mainly an excuse. Either way, if you can’t survive without looking nice, then maybe a new place can.

Chauncey hill mall is an eyesore. I don’t know what you mean by “local” places, but Most of the stores there are chains. If you have a successful brand like jake’s, I don’t know why you can’t open that across the street. There’s available retail space near Mackey.

My point is that bars come and go all too frequently at Purdue. For some reason, Purdue can’t seem to keep bars and restaurants. How many places Are the same now as 20 years ago? Not many. I think this new downtown area is mainly an excuse. Either way, if you can’t survive without looking nice, then maybe a new place can.
My point was with expansion like this, it is usually the local places that are hurt as they don’t have the capital to shutter during construction projects.

My point was with expansion like this, it is usually the local places that are hurt as they don’t have the capital to shutter during construction projects.
I don’t understand why the city wouldn’t offer some sort of incentive to relocate elsewhere while construction is going on.

Seems like you are going to lose some of the history.

I don’t understand why the city wouldn’t offer some sort of incentive to relocate elsewhere while construction is going on.

Seems like you are going to lose some of the history.
So many places went belly up or nearly did with the US 52 construction in Lafayette. Rohrman was going to drag the city through litigation because it was hurting his bottom line....and the city and the construction company bent over backwards to make things some what workable during that time table. Dairy Queen, Dough Shack, and a number of other places on the hill closed over the last few years because of the massive construction projects there that have killed their business. If anything, the city wants them gone for more development and replacing them with national chains.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That's too bad about Jake's. It was hands down my favorite place to watch ball games. Two of my fondest memories of college happened there. The first was the atmosphere after beating Notre Dame in Sept '97. The second was watching that prime time win over Indiana in the quarterfinal of the initial B1G basketball tournament in the spring of '98. What a night!

That's too bad about Jake's. It was hands down my favorite place to watch ball games. Two of my fondest memories of college happened there. The first was the atmosphere after beating Notre Dame in Sept '97. The second was watching that prime time win over Indiana in the quarterfinal of the initial B1G basketball tournament in the spring of '98. What a night!
I watched the Malice in the Palace there. I felt like the only sober person watching that mayhem.

That Bar Barry lost a ton of business when VBS built next to AutoZone years ago. But the dagger was VBS also opening a store on Northwestern & Lindberg, essentially cutting off 2 of the 3 ways leading there.

I still don’t know what you mean by “local”. The replacement stores will be just as “local” as whatever closed.

[QUOTE="JohnnyDoeBoiler, post: 1820039, member: 7108”] Dairy Queen, Dough Shack, and a number of other places on the hill closed over the last few years because of the massive construction projects there that have killed their business. If anything, the city wants them gone for more development and replacing them with national chains.[/QUOTE]

And my point is this...how many different things has dough shack been? It’s had at least three names just since I was in school. I think the construction is more an excuse than a reason.

You know that Dairy Queen is a national chain right? Just like the majority of stores at Chauncey mall.

I would agree if you said “the City is excited about replacing an old tired strip mall filled with chain stores with a vibrant new development that will change how prospective students view WL.”

But really, the city isn’t driving this...market forces are. The city hasn’t had anything to do with the Trinitas ventures purchase of the strip mall. The city isn’t hosting meetings to decide what replaces it. This is a private company making our alma mater more attractive.

That's par for the course for bars/restaurants in any market.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT