ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Kiser

lkfletcher14

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2018
I see Jack Kiser listed as one of four freshmen at linebacker at Notre Dame. I know he was a multi-sport star jn high school and was county champion in the dashes on the track team. I know many of you criticized his choice as Mr. Football for the same reason you are questioning the ranking of Charlie Spegal this year. That makes him an underdog among the big dogs. Being a small school guy myself (and an alumnus from Jack's high school) I am inclined to root for the Milans (my father's high school) of Indiana sports. I don't expect to see him on the field this year unless he truly is a specially gifted athlete but I would certainly appreciate any news of his progress that anyone might have.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
I see Jack Kiser listed as one of four freshmen at linebacker at Notre Dame. I know he was a multi-sport star jn high school and was county champion in the dashes on the track team. I know many of you criticized his choice as Mr. Football for the same reason you are questioning the ranking of Charlie Spegal this year. That makes him an underdog among the big dogs. Being a small school guy myself (and an alumnus from Jack's high school) I am inclined to root for the Milans (my father's high school) of Indiana sports. I don't expect to see him on the field this year unless he truly is a specially gifted athlete but I would certainly appreciate any news of his progress that anyone might have.

Kiser was a highly recruited prospect due to being very athletic and having good size. He had 7 or 8 P5 offers prior to his committment to notre dame, including from Purdue. I would've liked to see him at Purdue myself and think many Purdue fans felt Bell to be a better choice for Mr. Football. He won the award due to an overwhelming vote from the small school voters. I don't really have a problem with that choice - he had a great career.

Reactions: LLaswell
I grew up from a small Indiana town, so I can love MIlan type stories. As far a Purdue fan, we are always the underdog against the Notre Dame, OSU, and Michigan of the worlds.

However, there is no way that Kiser had better statistics and deserved Mr. Football over David Bell. David's teams played constantly harder competition week after week, and he still put up those stats. No one can convince me of that. Let's be honest if helped that he went to Notre Dame in the voting.

It was even worse the year they awarded Mr. Football in KY to a small school player that was not close to stats to Rondale. It was because voters were tired that the big Louisville football programs were winning Mr Football all the time. Don't think that I just posted this after his last year performance. I brought this up before Rondale even arrived on campus.

Similar to the Heisman, Mr Football and Mr Basketball does not mean anything for people wanting to make it to the next level. Wish Kiser the best. Would have liked to see him as a Boiler. I also look forward to Sheffield and Bell going against him in the near future.

Reactions: pboiler18
Kiser was a highly recruited prospect due to being very athletic and having good size. He had 7 or 8 P5 offers prior to his committment to notre dame, including from Purdue. I would've liked to see him at Purdue myself and think many Purdue fans felt Bell to be a better choice for Mr. Football. He won the award due to an overwhelming vote from the small school voters. I don't really have a problem with that choice - he had a great career.

Karlaftis

Go Panthers!

I grew up from a small Indiana town, so I can love MIlan type stories. As far a Purdue fan, we are always the underdog against the Notre Dame, OSU, and Michigan of the worlds.

However, there is no way that Kiser had better statistics and deserved Mr. Football over David Bell. David's teams played constantly harder competition week after week, and he still put up those stats. No one can convince me of that. Let's be honest if helped that he went to Notre Dame in the voting.

It was even worse the year they awarded Mr. Football in KY to a small school player that was not close to stats to Rondale. It was because voters were tired that the big Louisville football programs were winning Mr Football all the time. Don't think that I just posted this after his last year performance. I brought this up before Rondale even arrived on campus.

Similar to the Heisman, Mr Football and Mr Basketball does not mean anything for people wanting to make it to the next level. Wish Kiser the best. Would have liked to see him as a Boiler. I also look forward to Sheffield and Bell going against him in the near future.
It depends, doesn't it, on whether Mr. Football is a purely statistical award?

There is no question, no argument, that Kiser was the most important player to his team in the state.

Add to that the statistics and, to be fair, the feel-good element of the first 1A winner and you have a strong case for Kiser.

Speaking of statistics, Kiser led Pioneer to scoring almost 1000 points last season (without playing the fourth quarter for most of the year!). I believe that to be a national record for points in a season by a high school team in any state or class.

It depends, doesn't it, on whether Mr. Football is a purely statistical award?

There is no question, no argument, that Kiser was the most important player to his team in the state.

Add to that the statistics and, to be fair, the feel-good element of the first 1A winner and you have a strong case for Kiser.

Speaking of statistics, Kiser led Pioneer to scoring almost 1000 points last season (without playing the fourth quarter for most of the year!). I believe that to be a national record for points in a season by a high school team in any state or class.

It's solely a popularity contest. Much like Homecoming King/Queen.

Reactions: jindy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT