ADVERTISEMENT

It's ok to have high expectations

Mar 29, 2013
Don't feel bad for wanting explanations, for being angry, for expecting more from a team that has the backing that this team does. This program has a fan base that is as good as any in the country and has little to show for it. It's getting tiresome being proud of teams "over performing their recruiting rankings", or "doing it the right way", or being "respectable in conference." I'm 45, I live in Columbus and am a season ticket holder for tOSU hoops who get 8500 on a good night with zero enthusiasm and they STILL have high expectations to not flame out in the first or second weekend. In regards to Purdue, I'm use to it all the disappointment, and this result could be seen from a mile away watching this team all season, but that should not mean that I have to be happy about it.

With the community that supports Purdue basketball they shouldn't be ashamed to expect more, you shouldn't have to justify high expectations or apologize for being upset about losing to a 15 seed in a regional semifinal. It's a school that sells out arenas in a state that bleeds basketball. Is it too much to ask to have a team commit to the fundamentals of a game that most were raised with in the state? I watched the Tennessee game from 3 years ago this week and was reminded of how that team struggled with FT and sloppy play just like this team but was bailed out by out of this world shooting that we lacked today. Same problems, different year. You'd think it would be a focus to improve the FT shooting, or the basketball IQ, or the discipline to not repeat mistakes, but alas, we have this season. For a decade plus this team struggles with pressure (which makes me question opposing scouting departments that don't do it to us more often). For a decade plus if the game is close, this program tightens up, doesn't make adjustments, has a deer in headlights look. Maybe we need a team psychologist to teach these guys to loosen up when things get tight.

I've learned to settle for this sick feeling in my gut, heck this win doesn't sting as much as the UVA game because this team hasn't shown the discipline or fortitude to win it all for the last 2 months. But, it gets annoying seeing people criticizing posters who actually have expectations that exceed what this program has jammed down our throat for 30 years.

I have no delusion that this game was caused by poor whistles, but is it too much to ask to get a single technical this season to maybe get a few more calls?

Some players lost PT because of poor play for months at a time, but others were not shown any of the same recourse who repeated the same poor ball control game after game after game.

This program does a LOT of things the right way, this is definitely something to be proud of. But in this new age of college basketball, my fear is that isn't going to mean a lot moving forward. I'm sure coach has higher expectations for this program than the results would show, but sometimes it might be nice to let us paying supporters know that it's ok to expect more, we aren't crazy, he has the SAME expectations. I support coach, think he is great for the program, but there needs to be some self reflection. Rant over. Regroup and move on, until next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News