ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Haas accused about lying about STDs...

From the article: "Haas blamed Purdue University Student Health Services, saying he'd been tested, diagnosed, treated and tested again, when they told him he was clean, according to the filing that cited Haas' text messages with Chambers."

Between Haas, Harbaugh, and the Speights, PUSH has taken a lot of crap this academic year!

Very embarrassing story indeed for all involved.

What a bomb shell this is.
"In text exchanges between Millsaps and Haas, the Purdue star expressed concern that he might be criminally prosecuted for not being honest about his infection, according to the filing. Haas also said he had to deny knowing he was infected."
IF this is 100% accurate, then it is pretty hard not to believe, although the article said he copped to having chlamydia not herpes. I don't know much about either decease, but very embarrassing indeed.

It's certainly irresponsible for Haas to have sex with someone without protection, even if he is clean. But knowing he had them before should make him even more careful. Even if the story is untrue, Haas was a bonehead in this situation at best.

It really was better when we just didn't know things...

This article makes it sound like he purposefully transferred it.

What if she got infected before Haas? Viruses don't always show symptoms at infection stage.

There is no way to actually prove this virus came from.him without him stating he was purposefully infecting others and targeted her.

Agreed, innocent until proven guilty

This article makes it sound like he purposefully transferred it.

What if she got infected before Haas? Viruses don't always show symptoms at infection stage.

There is no way to actually prove this virus came from.him without him stating he was purposefully infecting others and targeted her.

Agreed, innocent until proven guilty
Read the texts. Doesn’t look good.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
There' a story about Michael Jordan, a rumor got around that he was going to be at a certain club in Chicago one night. Legend says 2,000 women showed up at that same club. You know, to get his autograph. :p

It's an old story, one attracts the other. I thought with the latest rash of finger pointing going on some of the guys might wise up, but after sustenance and shelter it's the third greatest drive in humans (and the other two are often subservient to it). Prenups, contracts and payouts obviously don't work. Funny world.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Weird story. For what it is worth, the plaintiff did not wait almost a year until Isaac was going pro to pursue the matter. Based on the complaint, her counsel delivered a preservation notice to Isaac in September 2017, which based on the alleged timeline in her complaint suggests she moved reasonably quickly after she alleges that she became infected and received the text messages described in the complaint alleging other instances of similar conduct. Further, because Purdue has sovereign immunity there was likely a notice period that had to run before she could file a complaint naming Purdue as a defendant.

I would bet the complaint was filed after an attempt at reaching an out of court settlement failed. However, I do not doubt that the timing of filing was intentional to try and create maximum incentive to settle. I would guess the statute of limitations for making a claim here is at least a year from the act (and likely a year from when the plaintiff becomes aware of the claim) so the plaintiff likely could have delayed filing until after the semester ended to avoid being on campus and having to deal with the attention that will follow.

That being said, after reading the complaint twice, I am not entirely sure what cause(s) of action is/are actually being alleged in the complaint. I am not familiar with Indiana's rules of civil procedure, but I doubt that a complaint that asserts all causes of action available under Indiana law without specifically identifying a cause of action and alleging the specific factual predicates for such cause of action would be sufficient as a matter of law.

Weird story. For what it is worth, the plaintiff did not wait almost a year until Isaac was going pro to pursue the matter. Based on the complaint, her counsel delivered a preservation notice to Isaac in September 2017, which based on the alleged timeline in her complaint suggests she moved reasonably quickly after she alleges that she became infected and received the text messages described in the complaint alleging other instances of similar conduct. Further, because Purdue has sovereign immunity there was likely a notice period that had to run before she could file a complaint naming Purdue as a defendant.

I would bet the complaint was filed after an attempt at reaching an out of court settlement failed. However, I do not doubt that the timing of filing was intentional to try and create maximum incentive to settle. I would guess the statute of limitations for making a claim here is at least a year from the act (and likely a year from when the plaintiff becomes aware of the claim) so the plaintiff likely could have delayed filing until after the semester ended to avoid being on campus and having to deal with the attention that will follow.

That being said, after reading the complaint twice, I am not entirely sure what cause(s) of action is/are actually being alleged in the complaint. I am not familiar with Indiana's rules of civil procedure, but I doubt that a complaint that asserts all causes of action available under Indiana law without specifically identifying a cause of action and alleging the specific factual predicates for such cause of action would be sufficient as a matter of law.

I don't really understand the Purdue/other woman angle either. I do hope our program handled it appropriately - doesn't sound like there's allegations of wrongdoing there.

Like either of these actually matter. It's weird, especially suing the other girl too, but who knows.
Attorney trying to include all in lawsuit. Including Purdue. Haas had sex with her as he thought he was cured. A year has passed. STD can be cured with antibiotics. Yes he was stupid, he is a college kid. Lawyers will cost a pretty penny. Very sad for all included.

if they chose to go public during the height of the season, I can only imagine what a team distraction and media circus that could have turned into.

Everyone on here "innocent until proven guilty". But are quick to jump on another school's player before due process has happened. Come on. Is it that shocking that he could have herps? He's a star athlete st a major college, I bet he gets alot of chances with girls that we never had at that age. One was dirty, and he got it. But he's to embarrassed to go around telling all the girls he's sleeping with that he has herpes. I bet 90% of you all keep it hush hush if you had bumps where you shouldn't.

I don't really understand the Purdue/other woman angle either. I do hope our program handled it appropriately - doesn't sound like there's allegations of wrongdoing there.

The cynical answer to your question is Purdue is a deep pocket and is named because it can write the biggest check and/or they are hoping for a nuisance settlement from Purdue because its cost of defending the complaint is higher than what it would take to make this young woman go away.

The less cynical answer is they are trying to allege a malpractice/malfeasance type claim against PUSH. I have not been able to find a copy of the complaint with the exhibits attached, but the complaint does note that the specific allegations against Purdue are stated in the notice of claim that was submitted to Purdue and is attached to the complaint as an exhibit.

With respect to the other young woman, the complaint seems to suggest a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress. However, the complaint just mentions it in passing and does not even allege that the elements of such a CoA are satisfied.

Everyone on here "innocent until proven guilty". But are quick to jump on another school's player before due process has happened. Come on. Is it that shocking that he could have herps? He's a star athlete st a major college, I bet he gets alot of chances with girls that we never had at that age. One was dirty, and he got it. But he's to embarrassed to go around telling all the girls he's sleeping with that he has herpes. I bet 90% of you all keep it hush hush if you had bumps where you shouldn't.

Well, you can't be innocent or guilty when it's a civil case. This isn't a criminal case nor was it ever.

As another has posted, there's a lot being said - but not sure when they bring Purdue and the other girl in how that really is a course of action.

if they chose to go public during the height of the season, I can only imagine what a team distraction and media circus that could have turned into.

I do not disagree it would have gotten attention; however, I think from a tactical perspective using it now when it is likely to have the greatest impact on Isaac's professional prospects because it is top of mind for the relevant decisions makers is more coercive from counsel's perspective. Plus, if you dropped the complaint during the season, the NCAA's rules would have made getting cash to pay her off difficult. Whereas, Isaac is now free to take cash from any source he pleases to fund a settlement (not a judgment of liability on Isaac's part in any manner; merely a recognition of the value of an NDA).

Reactions: BoilerBiker
Well, you can't be innocent or guilty when it's a civil case. This isn't a criminal case nor was it ever.

As another has posted, there's a lot being said - but not sure when they bring Purdue and the other girl in how that really is a course of action.
Regardless of its a civil or criminal one, alot of people on here are jumping on the "innocent until proven guilty" bandwagon, when they're the same ones quick to throw a kid from another school under the bus. Is Haas' having herps as bad as a rapist playing for another school? No. But it makes us look dumb as fans when we bash a player from one school and suddenly super protective and defensive of Haas doing anything bad.

The cynical answer to your question is Purdue is a deep pocket and is named because it can write the biggest check and/or they are hoping for a nuisance settlement from Purdue because its cost of defending the complaint is higher than what it would take to make this young woman go away.

The less cynical answer is they are trying to allege a malpractice/malfeasance type claim against PUSH. I have not been able to find a copy of the complaint with the exhibits attached, but the complaint does note that the specific allegations against Purdue are stated in the notice of claim that was submitted to Purdue and is attached to the complaint as an exhibit.

With respect to the other young woman, the complaint seems to suggest a claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress. However, the complaint just mentions it in passing and does not even allege that the elements of such a CoA are satisfied.

You likely noticed, but she appears to be going at this pro se (I’m also unfamiliar with Indiana pleadings standards). That thing is filled with legalese, though, so tough to imagine a lawyer didn’t ghost write it.

Still, I wonder if that’s why it’s lacking and might need to be amended, at least in my state. If she truly is pro se and sent the required notice letters to file during this time, like you’ve described above, she’s pretty damn sharp.

(Tech fan — lurked before our S16 game, came back for scoop on Haas)

Regardless of its a civil or criminal one, alot of people on here are jumping on the "innocent until proven guilty" bandwagon, when they're the same ones quick to throw a kid from another school under the bus. Is Haas' having herps as bad as a rapist playing for another school? No. But it makes us look dumb as fans when we bash a player from one school and suddenly super protective and defensive of Haas doing anything bad.

Give it up.

I don't understand this effort to find something that looks like hypocrisy. Who cares?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT