ADVERTISEMENT

Is this how Purdue athletes attend classes too?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
This article says that Deion Sanders's son has not attended an in person class in over a year. I understand in years 2020 and 2021 with COVID how that would be applicable, but is that how it works for Purdue athletes, or just regular students, too?

They can choose to go to in person or they can do everything online and never attend a physical class?

• Sad
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
This article says that Deion Sanders's son has not attended an in person class in over a year. I understand in years 2020 and 2021 with COVID how that would be applicable, but is that how it works for Purdue athletes, or just regular students, too?

They can choose to go to in person or they can do everything online and never attend a physical class?

My guess would be mostly yes, I know Caitlyn Clark did all of hers online.

As long as test taking and paper writing is secured there is nothing wrong with it!

Unfortunately many scam the systems in paper writing and if the tests are not required to be taken in person who knows who actually does the work or is helped by someone off camera. Many SAT's and AP tests were fraudulent during COVID.

Reactions: pboiler18
I attend classes at Purdue in 1974-1979. There were three starting basketball players in my psych class. I saw them the first day of class and at the final. I took two of my calculus classes self paced. I never saw an instructor for my calculus classes. That was over 50 years ago. 30 years ago I took an Econ class where the professor filmed his lectures and you watched the film and did your work at your leisure. I imagine the same has taken place the last 50 years. Phoenix University was built on students taking courses online. Taking courses online has been in place long before Covid and zoom.

Reactions: rrdd2021
For football players online course work is normal if available. During football season the student may only have 6 credit hours of class and then take another 9 over the summer. I suspect the same for basketball players. In some majors (engineering) it is not often possible to take a full load of online classes beyond the introductory course work. Having said that it is not uncommon for any student to "attend" online either in real time or by watching recorded lectures for classes that are in officially in person.

Reactions: pboiler18
I was a TA for ag lectures the fall of 79. I had a basketball player in one of the classes. Talked to him about if he had a road game and needed to miss class let me know. He made every class. Missing a class lowered your grade one step so he had to be in attendance

Reactions: mediaexpert
From what I can tell, most D1 athletes take the bare minimum they can get away with. For most, it's their only option. The time demands placed on them is insane.

A few years ago I interviewed a guy that was a T&F athlete at Illinois University, who somehow majored in Computer Science. Having been a CS major myself I was intrigued that anyone could be a CS major and a D1 athlete.

When I looked at his course load, and also by what he could talk about in the interview, I realized he had the equivalent of about a 2-year degree. However, we took a chance on him because we figured there has to be a strong work ethic and excellent time management skills that many non-athletes don't have. We knew he'd be a "project" and way behind his peers. This was indeed the case. But, nice kid and hard-worker.

A lot depends on how much the player wants to play in the pros and how much the player just wants to use his athletic scholarship to pay for his degree.

However, you are seeing more universities offering more self paced , online classes.

I was coded as an athlete-friendly professor when I taught at Georgia Tech and had several players (including one former NBA player and the starting QB at the time). I can state pretty confidently that they were doing their own work. Back then, they were taking in-person classes and showed up every day possible, including after red eyes back from the Maui Invitational. I also had a lot of Olympic athletes, all of whom worked incredibly hard in the classroom, often in very challenging majors.

I no longer teach at a D1 school, but I now teach a lot online and have a few athletes every semester. I'm guessing that is pretty common now at D1 schools as well. It allows for much greater flexibility with travel schedules, although it probably wouldn't be possible for athletes in certain majors that require in-person work (I'm thinking of someone like Caleb Furst who plans, IIRC, to go to medial school).

I once took a ms word course at a jr college just for fun. It was actually a 3 credit class. The entire Oklahoma baseball team was in that class. They attended every class and all did their own work. Although at a jr college or just a d2 or d3 college, they said the course credits would transfer back to Oklahoma.

I was impressed by the attendance and work habits of the players.

Later in life, I taught MS office at a junior college. I was once again impressed with the work habits of the baseball players taking the course. The basketball players were ok. They were more concerned about their grade than learning. The female basketball players were terrible.

The college soon made the course online.

A lot depends on how much the player wants to play in the pros and how much the player just wants to use his athletic scholarship to pay for his degree.

However, you are seeing more universities offering more self paced , online classes.
It would be interesting to poll athletes coming into P5 hoops and football programs and as freshman, ask what % actually believe they have a shot at the pros. Then continue to issue that same poll to the same players every year and see how the % change.
Obviously there are playing coming into a program that probably have an 80% or better of actually going pro after 1-2 years, but if a player doesn't leave early and they're a 4 year player, at what point do they realize being a pro-athlete isn't in their future?

It would be interesting to poll athletes coming into P5 hoops and football programs and as freshman, ask what % actually believe they have a shot at the pros. Then continue to issue that same poll to the same players every year and see how the % change.
Obviously there are playing coming into a program that probably have an 80% or better of actually going pro after 1-2 years, but if a player doesn't leave early and they're a 4 year player, at what point do they realize being a pro-athlete isn't in their future?
It’s a hard day when the player finally realizes his dreams of going pro are not going to happen. Even if they make it to the pros, the average pro career only lasts 3-4 years.

I was coded as an athlete-friendly professor when I taught at Georgia Tech and had several players (including one former NBA player and the starting QB at the time). I can state pretty confidently that they were doing their own work. Back then, they were taking in-person classes and showed up every day possible, including after red eyes back from the Maui Invitational. I also had a lot of Olympic athletes, all of whom worked incredibly hard in the classroom, often in very challenging majors.

I no longer teach at a D1 school, but I now teach a lot online and have a few athletes every semester. I'm guessing that is pretty common now at D1 schools as well. It allows for much greater flexibility with travel schedules, although it probably wouldn't be possible for athletes in certain majors that require in-person work (I'm thinking of someone like Caleb Furst who plans, IIRC, to go to medial school).
My daughter had a class with Caleb last year. He attended in person, very regularly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT