ADVERTISEMENT

Is Edey Leaving or Not?

IMO, he's leaving. To change that, 2 things would need to happen:

#1. Huge NIL package put together by PU

#2 - CMP assures him he will get to play some significant time away from the basket. Both on offense and defense. This is the only way he can show the league that he can do it on a regular basis. Coming back and playing like he did this year does ZERO for his NBA stock. He has to show he can shoot away from the hoop and play defense away from it. Otherwise he is Tshiebwe from Kentucky
Kind of hope he leaves so we can begin playing with a more modern offense.

Good for him. His best way to maximize earnings next year is to get an NIL deal in line with a returning NPOY. Purdue better pony up- he’s earned it. Hell the IL C a couple of years back got 7 figures, right?
Bobinski has said he's already secured an NIL package to keep Zach here if he decides to stay.

This was a few weeks ago.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Kind of hope he leaves so we can begin playing with a more modern offense.
Maybe, maybe not. Our style was built for teams that have true bigs. Duke, Zags, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona. Most top programs have a flex/5, but not all can shoot mid range shots ala TJD, Timme(sometimes), Lively, Tshiebwe, etc. Our problem is we don't have an advantage with athletic guards/wings that force you to play their style.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Not sure there is a beneficial case for him to come back.

From a business standpoint he can make bank in Europe, far beyond any NIL package the school can put together. From a college career perspective, he would be playing with the same supporting staff and the same coach. I do not believe a deeper run in the tournament or another season of NPOY buzz means that much to him.

If he were my son, I would tell him it is time to get paid. Godspeed, Zach. It has been a great ride.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Maybe, maybe not. Our style was built for teams that have true bigs. Duke, Zags, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona. Most top programs have a flex/5, but not all can shoot mid range shots ala TJD, Timme(sometimes), Lively, Tshiebwe, etc. Our problem is we don't have an advantage with athletic guards/wings that force you to play their style.
And what TJD/Timme lack in outside shooting they make up for it by being facilitators. TJD can run the floor with the ball and initiate the offense. I think TKR or Furst would have that ability if they put in the work in the off-season.

Reactions: Poprudy
And what TJD/Timme lack in outside shooting they make up for it by being facilitators. TJD can run the floor with the ball and initiate the offense. I think TKR or Furst would have that ability if they put in the work in the off-season.
Or if Painter allowed them, but he’s too rigid of a thinker. I’d transfer if I was Furst.

I dont follow Euroball. But is it a sure thing that he would make bank in Europe? I would think those high level Euro teams would have a pretty good pool of players that have played in the NBA to choose from. Also aren't Euro centers more like Berg? Again I don't follow Euro ball, but it kind of sounds like folks are just throwing it out there like there's some huge contract with Edey's name on it.

Does anyone have any specific numbers on what NIL terms Purdue could offer and what numbers he might get paid in Europe? To me, the NBA is a crap shoot for him.

Kalkbrenner is a very versatile Center, decent 3 pt shooter, nice midrange, and athletic

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I agree to this
your last sentence, who's fault is that, other than lobs his hands are suspect, fumbles alot of passes, doesn't have a fade away ala McKale, seems like a shaky player. Hopefully he improves next year esp if Zack moves on. Sorry this was a reply to Beef's comment

Does anyone have any specific numbers on what NIL terms Purdue could offer and what numbers he might get paid in Europe? To me, the NBA is a crap shoot for him.
A little bird told me the NIL deal would be equivalent to the minimum NBA contract.
It’s obvious, to me, that his mom didn’t retire and buy a place in West Lafayette on their personal savings. In other words the Edeys seem to be already getting some NIL income.

Reactions: rjmpu82
Kalkbrenner is a very versatile Center, decent 3 pt shooter, nice midrange, and athletic
Everything, but the 3 pt shooting just doesn't shoot it that much.

I'll take a really efficient, dominant Zach any day. It's not Zach's fault that others can't stay with their man on defense or hit open shots that he provided from the triple team. Early in the season this was happening and we dominated teams. We need slashers and gamers with Zach.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT