ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Purdue most hated rivals

My hatred of Iowa is so deep and long-lasting that I wore #24 in competitive athletics because I so admire the example and standard for student-athletes set by Nile Kinnick.
I first read about Nile Kinnick when they named the football stadium after him and thought what an amazing young man. One would think that over the years, more and more people would recognize him. I am amazed they haven't. It is funny but I have relatives who are in Christian Science and they are similar as they are such loving and sweet people. Thank you Professor Emeritus for reminding me again.

I remember when they created the legends and leaders and they said our rival was Purdue, I was like......What? Who? There was zero animosity there. Penn State or Michigan State, that is animosity. I have gone to a couple of games in Lafayette, and people invited us in to their tailgate, fed us and gave us beer both times. Nice folks down that way. That said, after beating us three out of the last four times, payback is going to be best served cold. But I hope your travelers find Iowa City as inviting and kind and good-natured as West Lafayette has been to me. Keep your powder dry....

I had a really good friend in my life until I found out he went to Purdue.

Now I hate that guy.

Nice guy, but get real!

Also dated a girl who went to Purdue. Only tolerated her because she had the wisdom to transfer out.

Purdue and Iowa rivalry is deeper than the deepest of a place that knows no bounds. The day the legend and leader collided with great force out came a hatred for the likes we have never before seen on this planet earth.
You Iowa types just can’t get over that fact that Purdue beat you each and every year from 1960 to 1980. That’s right Hawkeyes!!! Purdue beat you guys 21 straight years in what was and probably still is the longest winning streak against one team in NCAA history. Only Notre Dame beating up on Navy might be a longer streak!

I was blessed to have enjoyed a career at Purdue University that allowed me to be part of the Criminal Justice System and serve Purdue Athletics and their student athletes.....
Near the end of 1998 Purdue vs. Iowa Game, a report came in that objects were being thrown from section 101 that was packed with well traveled Iowa Fans. As my partner made our way up into the stands to investigate we came across an adult male who had been roughed up and had a bloody lip. The surrounding Iowa Fans pointed him out as the subject that was throwing small batteries and coins as the teams were nearing the end of the game that Purdue won.
The man was from IOWA and was shocked that his fellow Hawkeys exacted street justice upon him and then excommunicated him from their section in the stands. There were no witnesses to the battery and the Offender/Victim was unable to provides us with any suspects....
Iowa Fans were by far the best fans to visit Ross Ade during my time with Purdue University. They are passionate about their team, respected other spectators that were rooting for the Boilers but knew how to manage their own.......issues

When I see the word hate associated with sports I always think of my grandma who passed away in 2017. Sweet lady who always said there was no time for hate

Served on the home front during World War 2. Married my grandfather and he served on the pacific front. He was shot at multiple times and even then she couldn’t bring herself to hate the Japanese

Raised three sons. All three served during Vietnam and she couldn’t her self to hate the Vietnamese.

One son was hurt and Crippled in the car wreck. His wife left him and she didn’t want to have that life. She couldn’t bring herself to hate her ex daughter-in-law

My grandfather died due to medical but she couldn’t bring herself to hate the medical staff

She has 8 grandchildren and 21 great
Grandchildren and all of them thought she was their favorite. She taught them not to hate

I was there near the end and as she said all her goodbyes I asked her how she made it through life never hating anyone or anything. She smiled and said that wasn’t true and in weakened state she motioned me over and whispered:

“F*** Iowa”

Last edited:
You Iowa types just can’t get over that fact that Purdue beat you each and every year from 1960 to 1980. That’s right Hawkeyes!!! Purdue beat you guys 21 straight years in what was and probably still is the longest winning streak against one team in NCAA history. Only Notre Dame beating up on Navy might be a longer streak!

I think Michigan and Ohio State may have had slightly larger streaks against Indinia.

Hawkeye fan here, I always felt it was weird the conference forced that rivalry on us. I have nothing but respect for Purdue in all sports. There will be no hatred coming from this Hawk fan to anyone that comes to Kinnick. You're not PSU or Nebraska so it's all good.
don't know if there is enough hate to go around, I live in Pa. and there fans hate you guys after last week. And it's still a GD shame that one of the icons of Iowa wrestling is their wrestling coach.

don't know if there is enough hate to go around, I live in Pa. and there fans hate you guys after last week. And it's still a GD shame that one of the icons of Iowa wrestling is their wrestling coach.

Good, they root for the most disgusting program in college football history. They should have gotten the death penalty.

The grandma story is friggin awesome! It's been shared on one of our sites. Well done!

Good, they root for the most disgusting program in college football history. They should have gotten the death penalty.

The grandma story is friggin awesome! It's been shared on one of our sites. Well done!
? you lost me w/ your 2nd paragraph

Purdue and Iowa rivalry is deeper than the deepest of a place that knows no bounds. The day the legend and leader collided with great force out came a hatred for the likes we have never before seen on this planet earth.
I root for Purdue. They have produced a lot of good folks that I have had the honor of working with. Bell scares me a lot but Dotson got 48. But this weekend their tears will be delicious! 31-19 IOWA

My hatred for Iowa is so bad that this Halloween I am going as Jess Settles because he gave everyone nightmares because he stuck around so long at Iowa...wasn't it like 6 years but felt like 20. Now that is some scary shit! Tic

I joke...I love Iowa...now I hate IU, O$U and ND 110%

Can't we just merge Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska into one boring, annoying state? I mean, they're pretty much the same and have no redeeming qualities in themselves.

Reactions: pboiler18
Can't we just merge Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska into one boring, annoying state? I mean, they're pretty much the same and have no redeeming qualities in themselves.
And convince UC Berkeley grads that farming is easy and they can spread their ideals to the seemingly simple minds of existing farmers. They will only have to wait 30+ years to charge $500+/seat for MLB to show up and take advantage of their newly built baseball field, once again teaching others where to point to the map and locate Iowa, Kansas and/or Nebraska.

Reactions: pboiler18
are you ever at an Iowa Iowa state game and you suddenly feel a deep rage with a neck twitch like “Purdue!!!”

cause sometimes when we are at the end of the bucket game I just yell “I hate Iowa”

I first learned about Nile Kinnick in this superb article by Ron Fimrite, published in 1987...

That was awesome, glad i came across your post. On a related note, the following excerpt made me laugh: But it was his last punt that finally broke the spirit of the previously unbeaten Irish. With two minutes to play, Kinnick punted from his own 34, the ball going out of bounds on the Notre Dame five. When I saw that ball sail over the safety's head, I knew we had beaten Notre Dame," Couppee says. "I have played in 147 football games, college, service and pro, but that was the single most exhilarating moment I've ever experienced in sports."

That deep love for punting as an art form lives on at Iowa. Given a choice between having the best quarterback in the country and the best punter in the world, KF and indeed many iowa fans would actually pick the punter and then bitch (only the fans) rest of the season about the qb. :)

I went to iowa once to visit the digital human modeling team there. I left hating digital human modeling and iowa and when I see that crummy logo I throw up a little knowing that someone decided they were not cool enough to have the entire bird as their mascot, but only it's eye.
images

Reactions: cgtboiler
I went to iowa once to visit the digital human modeling team there. I left hating digital human modeling and iowa and when I see that crummy logo I throw up a little knowing that someone decided they were not cool enough to have the entire bird as their mascot, but only it's eye.
images
On the scale of animal parts as potential mascot, the hawk eye falls somewhere between pig snout and whale phallus.

images
and for all the folks that haven't had kids in the last few years the actual title of this book is "Everyone Poops"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT