ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting thing I need to ask.....

Nov 30, 2003
Interesting thing I need to ask. Very important, IMO.
Does CMP;...
A. Do the "old school, feed the post" thing, because that is the system he loves and believes in? You know, his style.
B. Resorts to the out-dated feed-the-post system because he (for some reason) cant consistently recruit the athletic guards (like so many other BIG teams seem to not have a problem getting, plus many mid-majors as well).

Does CMP;...
A. Do the "old school, feed the post" thing, because that is the system he loves and believes in? You know, his style.
B. Resorts to the out-dated feed-the-post system because he (for some reason) cant consistently recruit the athletic guards (like so many other BIG teams seem to not have a problem getting, plus many mid-majors as well).
To your point.....we did have a very athletic guard last yr!!!! Didn't work out to a big ten championship! Bottom line right now with this team is cut and dry!!!! We have been god awful from the 3!!!!

Does CMP;...
Offense is fine...71 points should be enough to win at home. Bad shooting nights are going to happen. The defense has been terrible and should not give up 79 points to anyone. We need to quit doubling the post when we have a 7'4" center. Zack should be able to hold his own against anyone.

Maybe, but I still think Purdue's two biggest problems last year were 1) a lack of defensive toughness and 2) Purdue turned the ball over way too much. I don't think Painter's coaching encouraged either of those things.
And the 2 best pieces didn’t fit together. Ivey is best with all 5 offensive players on the perimeter, not with Edey and 2 defenders hanging on him, clogging the lane.

Maybe, but I still think Purdue's two biggest problems last year were 1) a lack of defensive toughness and 2) Purdue turned the ball over way too much. I don't think Painter's coaching encouraged either of those things.
With his athleticism, Ivey could have been a phenomenal tough defender. He never really seemed interested in that though. He blocked some shots and got some steals here and there, but it was never a focused full time effort.

Because he needed to play at a much faster pace and more open floor for Ivey. That didn't happen.
I don't remember pace being a problem last year. Maybe it was. I felt like Painter gave Ivey a lot of freedom to do his thing. At any rate, offense really wasn't the problem other than turnovers. Pomeroy ranked Purdue ranked #2 nationally in offensive efficiency last year. Defense (#93) was another story.

I don't remember pace being a problem last year. Maybe it was. I felt like Painter gave Ivey a lot of freedom to do his thing. At any rate, offense really wasn't the problem other than turnovers. Pomeroy ranked Purdue ranked #2 nationally in offensive efficiency last year. Defense (#93) was another story.
hey, don’t be bringing facts to these irrational rants about all the supposed coaching faults of our top ten team!

They definitely could have played faster. Obviously Edey being in changes the speed at which you can play. No doubt they had a great offense, but Ivey wasn't able to get into space in the half court enough. Part of the speed problem was also defensively. Didn't get into the passing lanes and all that enough. Just plain page, you weren't going to be able to go at blazing speeds with Williams and Edey as your 5 man.

They definitely could have played faster. Obviously Edey being in changes the speed at which you can play. No doubt they had a great offense, but Ivey wasn't able to get into space in the half court enough. Part of the speed problem was also defensively. Didn't get into the passing lanes and all that enough. Just plain page, you weren't going to be able to go at blazing speeds with Williams and Edey as your 5 man.
Fair enough. Warren Nolan had Purdue #254 in pace last year. But as you seem to acknowledge, that was more a function of personnel than coaching. Are we really going to argue that Painter should have sat Trevion Williams and Zach Edey just to make it easier for Ivey to go all Allen Iverson?

Purdue was still #2 nationally in offensive efficiency. I think Painter did a pretty good job of blending Purdue's weapons. I still say turnovers and defensive lapses were the Achilles heals last year.

Just my $.02.

Increasing pace for just one player would have been a complete disaster with the other players Purdue had on the floor last year. Even with Jaden's abilities. Again, #2 offense in the country shows Painter made the most of his team. Now turnovers and D are where he can be questioned.

Fair enough. Warren Nolan had Purdue #254 in pace last year. But as you seem to acknowledge, that was more a function of personnel than coaching. Are we really going to argue that Painter should have sat Trevion Williams and Zach Edey just to make it easier for Ivey to go all Allen Iverson?

Purdue was still #2 nationally in offensive efficiency. I think Painter did a pretty good job of blending Purdue's weapons. I still say turnovers and defensive lapses were the Achilles heals last year.

Just my $.02.
I don't know about sitting them, but more that the other 4 were going to be running and that the bigs needed to be aware of when to get down court and when to stay back basically. Seems lazy of the bigs but really just awareness.

Offense is fine...71 points should be enough to win at home. Bad shooting nights are going to happen. The defense has been terrible and should not give up 79 points to anyone. We need to quit doubling the post when we have a 7'4" center. Zack should be able to hold his own against anyone.
The bad shooting nights are now the norm. It seems to have gone beyond an expected "course of the season" shooting slump. Our shooters are missing spot-up, wide open jumpers too frequently. I understand that I am complaining about something I have no solution for, but without some intervention I fear an early exit.

I don't know about sitting them, but more that the other 4 were going to be running and that the bigs needed to be aware of when to get down court and when to stay back basically. Seems lazy of the bigs but really just awareness.
I keep wondering how IU could have gone through so many horrible coaching changes with you right there in their backyard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT