ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting take on potential BT members #19 & #20 (TAMU and ND)

That swaim guy is a self-promoting blowhard who is wrong way more on alignment than he is right. I have not seen any other smoke on TAMU going to B1G except from him.

That swaim guy is a self-promoting blowhard who is wrong way more on alignment than he is right. I have not seen any other smoke on TAMU going to B1G except from him.
That is so untrue! I know you’ve read my posts saying the same thing. The bigger question is: am I that self-promoting blowhard. Who is wrong more times than right? Or is that guy reading and just copying my posts?

I’ve posted several times about ND trying to find a way out of its acc contract, especially if the NCAA forces all teams to be part of a conference to participate in the football championship.

I’ve also posted about Texas A&M not wanting to be on the same conference as Texas.

When all is said and done, FSU, Miami, ND and Texas A&M will leave their current conference. The ACc will fold like the pAC 10 and BIG 8 folded. (The big 12 is a shell of what it once was) And the BIG 10 and SEC will get into a bidding war . When the ACC folds, I believe there will be a huge shift and shakeup in the BIG 10 and SEC. I believe both conferences will expand to 24 teams becoming super conferences and I fear some teams will be bought out of their current conference. Think about it. If the ACC folds, who is more appealing

Like I said, is that the real me? Or did he just copy my thoughts?

There is no way the NCAA will have any rule that prevents ND from being in the playoff under any circumstances. They provide so many eyeballs for advertisers despite their mediocrity on the field.

There is no way the NCAA will have any rule that prevents ND from being in the playoff under any circumstances. They provide so many eyeballs for advertisers despite their mediocrity on the field.
The NCAA is not involved in the CFP. They got cut out of the deal a long time ago.

But to your point the CFP will never have a rule that prevents ND from the playoff.

That is so untrue! I know you’ve read my posts saying the same thing. The bigger question is: am I that self-promoting blowhard. Who is wrong more times than right? Or is that guy reading and just copying my posts?

I’ve posted several times about ND trying to find a way out of its acc contract, especially if the NCAA forces all teams to be part of a conference to participate in the football championship.

I’ve also posted about Texas A&M not wanting to be on the same conference as Texas.

When all is said and done, FSU, Miami, ND and Texas A&M will leave their current conference. The ACc will fold like the pAC 10 and BIG 8 folded. (The big 12 is a shell of what it once was) And the BIG 10 and SEC will get into a bidding war . When the ACC folds, I believe there will be a huge shift and shakeup in the BIG 10 and SEC. I believe both conferences will expand to 24 teams becoming super conferences and I fear some teams will be bought out of their current conference. Think about it. If the ACC folds, who is more appealing

Everything you said is more likely to be true than not except A&M which the only two people I have ever heard that from is you and swaim. When you said it was rumored I googled it and the only “source” that appears to be popping up is swaims “source” in Chicago. Yes I would put you, swaim, and dan Dakich are all self-promoting blowhards.

I just dont see A&M going anywhere. They now have a rivalry game that will bring in the big bucks without having schedule a P5 in early games.

I hear talk of FSU and Miami down here. Mostly from their fan bases who seem to favor the idea. It is funny though, the prevailing comment is always, "But those cold weather games don't sound fun".

Last edited:

There is buzz now that the big 12 will pick up the better teams of the acc. I do project the big ten will take Miami or florida state, likely the latter if they achieve AAU status, but it may be a couple of years. But I think B12 ends up with whatever florida team does not join the big ten, clemson, and other solid acc teams. I don’t see the benefit of ND in the big ten, and just as much rather see it go to B12. I’m not saying the acc will be on par with the Sec or B10, but it wouldn’t consider it folded.

Reactions: goboilers2
If ND joins the Big Ten - and that's a big IF because I don't see it happening in the near future - my hunch is that they'll come in with Colorado, not A&M. I doubt the SEC and B1G want to invade each other's "turf" and both conferences are in such a good situation right now that they probably have a gentlemen's agreement not to encroach upon each other.

Colorado's archrival is Nebraska and the Buffs had an online petition to join the Big Ten long before the Pac-12 broke up. And that Denver TV market is about the biggest fish left out there.

If ND joins the Big Ten - and that's a big IF because I don't see it happening in the near future - my hunch is that they'll come in with Colorado, not A&M. I doubt the SEC and B1G want to invade each other's "turf" and both conferences are in such a good situation right now that they probably have a gentlemen's agreement not to encroach upon each other.

Colorado's archrival is Nebraska and the Buffs had an online petition to join the Big Ten long before the Pac-12 broke up. And that Denver TV market is about the biggest fish left out there.
Interesting theory! Is Colorado AAU?

Reactions: Tommaker
But are they going to pay up more than they would if they picked up a new market?
So here is my question. As I peruse the multitude of streaming services to find the cheapest that will deliver all of the college football games (and they are following cables failed model, add more and more "crap" that you don't want but end up paying higher prices for to keep the rest of the loser-fodder afloat) when, WHEN do the divisions that are left wise up and say "Hey, let's just do our OWN college football channel." Charge $10 a month, which is a steal, and they then keep ALL of the doe-ray-me from advertising, membership revenue, and even pay-per-view once a month marquee games (like HBO did with boxing). Since the Rubicon has been past and left in the dust per player compensation, you might as well go all in, full throttle hog waller cut all the greedy middle men (channels, services, streamers, etc.) out.

So here is my question. As I peruse the multitude of streaming services to find the cheapest that will deliver all of the college football games (and they are following cables failed model, add more and more "crap" that you don't want but end up paying higher prices for to keep the rest of the loser-fodder afloat) when, WHEN do the divisions that are left wise up and say "Hey, let's just do our OWN college football channel." Charge $10 a month, which is a steal, and they then keep ALL of the doe-ray-me from advertising, membership revenue, and even pay-per-view once a month marquee games (like HBO did with boxing). Since the Rubicon has been past and left in the dust per player compensation, you might as well go all in, full throttle hog waller cut all the greedy middle men (channels, services, streamers, etc.) out.
Like the cubs did? Jim Delaney wanted to force every sports package on cable to have to pay the big ten for it. With streaming I agree that’s a bit unnecessary. But for the new big ten tv package it is way more than the big ten network we will be on three broadcast channels plus we are frequently on peacock forcing all of us to buy into that subscription. It’s a long term deal. My hunch is many people who would watch big ten football and get subscriptions would overlap with note dame fans, and most subway Notre dame fans I know won’t pay for the subscription. I don’t know how much more they will gain. USC and ucla opened up a whole new time slot on west coast. Oregon and Washington aren’t even getting initially the full share. I think it’s going to take a large market to pull from as well as a major team that fox, nbc, and cbs will say hey we’re not going to show the Michigan-Penn state game because we would rather show Notre Dame - northwestern. But if we can get a florida state the major networks know they will draw from a larger geographical area and pick up a lot of southeast subscribers on peacock. A little different than regionalism where subscriptions are forced like Rutgers and Maryland under Jim Delaney where he forced all cable subscribers to get BTN.

I just dont see A&M going anywhere. They now have a rivalry game that will bring in the big bucks without having schedule a P5 in early games.

I hear talk of FSU and Miami down here. Mostly from their fan bases who seem to favor the idea. It is funny though, the prevailing comment is always, "But those cold weather games don't sound fun".
Would love to see the B10 go after FSU and Miami. But, seems like the natural fit for both of them is the SEC.

Reactions: goboilers2
But are they going to pay up more than they would if they picked up a new market?
That’s way above my pay grade, but I do think Fox and CBS would love to add ND games to the inventory.

But adding a FSU or TAMU would be massive also. I think all 3 schools would generate enough additional revenue to keep the per school payout the same, at minimum, and probably even bump it higher.

That’s way above my pay grade, but I do think Fox and CBS would love to add ND games to the inventory.

But adding a FSU or TAMU would be massive also. I think all 3 schools would generate enough additional revenue to keep the per school payout the same, at minimum, and probably even bump it higher.
They have to bump other games to add ND though, and I’m not sure how many more midwestern viewers you gain after you cannibalize them. If they could get an amendment to their agreement to add another broadcast game by adding the 3 schools I think that makes sense. For example if we are guaranteed a Friday night Fox prime time game every Friday plus noon, 3:30, 7:00, and some 10:30 games (all ET) on Saturday I think that could work, that’s a lot of coverage. But if it’s the same agreement and the only upside is we get a bump for additional subscribers I don’t know how it can be an increase.

They have to bump other games to add ND though, and I’m not sure how many more midwestern viewers you gain after you cannibalize them. If they could get an amendment to their agreement to add another broadcast game by adding the 3 schools I think that makes sense. For example if we are guaranteed a Friday night Fox prime time game every Friday plus noon, 3:30, 7:00, and some 10:30 games (all ET) on Saturday I think that could work, that’s a lot of coverage. But if it’s the same agreement and the only upside is we get a bump for additional subscribers I don’t know how it can be an increase.
They want as many “must-see” games as they can get. ND in the conference adds probably 4-6 of those a season.

And ND versus anyone is a bigger rating than probably over half the current games, Purdue v Illinois, IU v Rutgers, Iowa v MSU, etc.

They have 4 time slots now to fit in 4 marquee games each Saturday, plus one on Friday, so the only cannibalization would be of the lower tier games.

Again, I don’t have all the data that the network suits have at their disposal, but in my opinion the B1G and the SEC would both love to add ND and their national market,

Reactions: RossMackey
Reactions: TheGunner
You're speaking of yesteryear. ND's pathetic schedule has resulted in an exodus of viewers. Last year only 4 of ND's games were among the 50 most watched, so eight ND games didn't make the top 50. That titanic USC-ND game only ranked # 25.

So, only 6 programs had more top 50 rated games than ND, even with their pathetic schedule? (Which would be immediately improved in the B1G)

That’s pretty much proving my point… it’s still a national brand…even though it’s nothing like it was in the 80s and 90s…

But the B1G will add Colorado because... they are a highly watched program??
Did you read the article? Colorado games were in the Top 50 six times. ND only four times. Colorado is also ahead of FSU and A&M.

Appearances by program
8: Alabama, Georgia
6: Colorado, Ohio State, Washington
5: Michigan
4: Florida State, Notre Dame, Tennessee
3: Florida, Nebraska, Oregon, Texas, USC

Last edited:
So, only 6 programs had more top 50 rated games than ND, even with their pathetic schedule? (Which would be immediately improved in the B1G)

That’s pretty much proving my point… it’s still a national brand…even though it’s nothing like it was in the 80s and 90s…
I'm not saying that ND wouldn't be a good addition to the Big Ten. Of course they would. I thought we were discussing the best team to join the conference along with ND. FSU is not AAU. Colorado and A&M are AAU.

I'm not saying that ND wouldn't be a good addition to the Big Ten. Of course they would. I thought we were discussing the best team to join the conference along with ND. FSU is not AAU. Colorado and A&M are AAU.
Duck the Fomaz….

They’ve witnessed how former goliaths like Penn State and Nebraska— now having to annually play a top-shelf conference schedule after decades of feasting on cupcakes —- are nowhere near as formidable.

I’m still miffed that the B1G allows them in for hockey — what do those poseurs bring, hockey wise, to an already highly successful and competitive hockey league??

Did you read the article? Colorado games were in the Top 50 six times. ND only four times. Colorado is also ahead of FSU and A&M.

Appearances by program
8: Alabama, Georgia
6: Colorado, Ohio State, Washington
5: Michigan
4: Florida State, Notre Dame, Tennessee
3: Florida, Nebraska, Oregon, Texas, USC

That was solely due to the initial pop of "Prime" once they tanked as a team, so did their viewership.

Look at more than just 2023

Disagree. Look at the ratings on a week by week basis. Even though they were on national tv frequently they only had the highest rating at their time slot 4 times all year. USC, OSU, Louisville, and duke. And the first two it wasn’t the other teams highest viewership. USC-Colorado had more viewers than usc-ND. In week 1 there were 4 other games with higher ratings on during their game including boise st - Washington even though nd was on nbc. The narrative people will tune in because their ND is not true anymore. People want to see a good game. I think games like Purdue-ND could slide into a better game but with Penn state, OSU, Michigan, usc it will be hard rob find much of a jump in viewership with nd entering the mix. Heck even Washington and Oregon who beat nd a number of times in ratings, open up new geographic regions, provide games in extra time slot, didn’t get full shares of tv revenue. It’s going to take a seismic program to renegotiate tv deals, but it won’t be by sliding in a few games marginally better. It’s going to have to be similar impact as ucla/usc, which I think fsu gets us with the a new pool of viewers, not nd.

Let’s see how Colorado’s ratings compare with ND’s this season, before we get our Prime Pom-Poms out…

Let’s see how Colorado’s ratings compare with ND’s this season, before we get our Prime Pom-Poms out…
Again, I'm not arguing a choice of Notre Dame OR Colorado. We're talking about the best 'partner' to come into the Big Ten with ND if that should happen. The three options discussed here are Colorado, FSU or A&M.

There is no doubt that Coach Prime was the factor that drove up Colorado's TV viewership last year but nonetheless, let's look at the TV markets for the three 'contenders' that we're talking about.

Colorado is in the Denver Designated Marketing Area, 17th largest in the country.
FSU is in the Jacksonville DMA, 47th largest in the country.
A&M is in the Waco-Temple-Byron DMA, 83rdh largest in the country.

Colorado is a state flagship university, FSU and A&M are Little Brothers.

Colorado is contiguous with the primary mass of the Big Ten and Denver has a great airport. FSU and A&M are outliers and both are especially difficult to travel to by air.

Colorado and A&M are AAU, FSU is not.

Colorado already has an archrival in the Big Ten, Nebraska. However neither FSU nor A&M bring any rivalries.

FSU and A&M are in SEC turf. Colorado is not. I think it is best if King Kong and Godzilla don't cross paths.

Last edited:
Again, I'm not arguing a choice of Notre Dame OR Colorado. We're talking about the best 'partner' to come into the Big Ten with ND if that should happen. The three options discussed here are Colorado, FSU or A&M.

There is no doubt that Coach Prime was the factor that drove up Colorado's TV viewership last year but nonetheless, let's look at the TV markets for the three 'contenders' that we're talking about.

Colorado is in the Denver Designated Marketing Area, 17th largest in the country.
FSU is in the Jacksonville DMA, 47th largest in the country.
A&M is in the Waco-Temple-Byron DMA, 83rdh largest in the country.

Colorado is a state flagship university, FSU and A&M are Little Brothers.

Colorado is contiguous with the primary mass of the Big Ten and Denver has a great airport. FSU and A&M are outliers and both are especially difficult to travel to by air.

Colorado and A&M are AAU, FSU is not.

Colorado already has an archrival in the Big Ten, Nebraska. However neither FSU nor A&M bring any rivalries.

FSU and A&M are in SEC turf. Colorado is not. I think it is best if King Kong and Godzilla don't cross paths.

FSU is in Tallahasee, not Jacksonville. And regional markets don't really matter. FSU would bring much more consistent national viewers than Colorado.

Reactions: bonefish1
FSU is in Tallahasee, not Jacksonville. And regional markets don't really matter. FSU would bring much more consistent national viewers than Colorado.
The Tallahassee-Thomasville DMA is even worse, it's ranked # 105. And if regional markets don't really matter, why did we bring in Rutgers and Maryland?

Of course regional TV markets matter. It is one of several factors that should be considered including brand, flagship, academics, AAU and location. Does the Big Ten want another outlier for all of those volleyball, golf, tennis and wrestling teams? Does the Big Ten want to invade the SEC footprint?

Last edited:
The Tallahassee-Thomasville DMA is even worse, it's ranked # 105. And if regional markets don't really matter, why did we bring in Rutgers and Maryland?

Of course regional TV markets matter. It is one of several factors that should be considered including brand, flagship, academics, AAU and location. Does the Big Ten want another outlier for all of those volleyball, golf, tennis and wrestling teams? Does the Big Ten want to invade the SEC footprint?

Because that was 10+ years ago.

Yes, when cable subscriptions mattered significantly more than they do now. Didn't think that needed to be explicitly stated.
Yes, it needs to be explicitly explained. What is the difference between cable subscriptions and streaming subscriptions? You can pay for the BTN in a cable bundle with other networks, or you can pay for the BTN in a streaming bundle with other networks. I have done both and occasionally pony up an additional $6/month for Peacock to watch Purdue.

Yes, it needs to be explicitly explained. What is the difference between cable subscriptions and streaming subscriptions? You can pay for the BTN in a cable bundle with other networks, or you can pay for the BTN in a streaming bundle with other networks. I have done both and occasionally pony up an additional $6/month for Peacock to watch Purdue.

Because BTN, at the time of Marlyand and Rutgers, was only available to the B1G footprint. So expanding that footprint into the DC and NYC metro areas was huge.

Now anyone, anywhere, can add BTN. Making adding a market like Denver less valuable than before. But adding a team like FSU, who has a larger national fanbase than Colorado, means more. Fox/NBS/CBS want to pay for premier matchups that bring millions of eyeballs. Colorado, outside of the first half of last season, doesn't give that ability.

Because BTN, at the time of Marlyand and Rutgers, was only available to the B1G footprint. So expanding that footprint into the DC and NYC metro areas was huge.

Now anyone, anywhere, can add BTN. Making adding a market like Denver less valuable than before. But adding a team like FSU, who has a larger national fanbase than Colorado, means more. Fox/NBS/CBS want to pay for premier matchups that bring millions of eyeballs. Colorado, outside of the first half of last season, doesn't give that ability.
Thank you for your response but the BTN gets paid the same way now as it did back in the Rutgers/Maryland days. That has not changed. It's still (approximately) $1/subscriber in footprint and ten cents/subscriber out of footprint. It doesn't make any difference whether the carrier is cable or streaming. Thus if the school is in a high market TV area, that is more money for the conference.

Thank you for your response but the BTN gets paid the same way now as it did back in the Rutgers/Maryland days. That has not changed. It's still (approximately) $1/subscriber in footprint and ten cents/subscriber out of footprint. It doesn't make any difference whether the carrier is cable or streaming. Thus if the school is in a high market TV area, that is more money for the conference.
This isn’t that hard.

Fox/CBS/NBC want big games.

ND, FSU, and TAMU are historically much more likely to play in big games than Colorado.

Reactions: pboiler18
This isn’t that hard.

Fox/CBS/NBC want big games.

ND, FSU, and TAMU are historically much more likely to play in big games than Colorado.
Comments like "This isn't hard." or "Didn't think that needed to be explicitly stated." are meaningless in a discussion. It's just a empty, insulting comment that suggests that you can't provide any solid evidence to support your position. For example, if TAMU is historically much more likely to play in big games than Colorado, please tell us about those big games. Against who? When? Colorado won the national championship in 1990. A&M won one in 1939.

And once again, FSU is not AAU.

There are many factors that must be weighed before chosing the best candidate for conference expansion and it is complex. TV markets, academics, state flagship, geography, SEC footprint, rivalries and culture.

Another issue, I was on the faculty of A&M for about five years and I lived in Texas. Judging from the fans sporting baseball hats, bumper stickers and T-shirts, I estimate the state is about 60% Longhorns, 25% Aggies and 15% Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor etc. There is no question that A&M is the little Brother.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT