ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting QB news...

Will he wait to see what Hunter Johnson does?

Could...but he’ll have two years after Hunter is gone right?

I know they don’t worry about competition too much but it may be about open spots in the class if Hunter comes as you would hope that Hunter and Plummer both redshirt

Could...but he’ll have two years after Hunter is gone right?

I know they don’t worry about competition too much but it may be about open spots in the class if Hunter comes as you would hope that Hunter and Plummer both redshirt
If Hunter decides to come to Purdue he will sit out this year and have 3yrs of eligibility left. If Piferi comes to Purdue he will arrive with 4yrs of eligibility. So lets say in the unlikely scenario they both come to Purdue this is how it plays out. Hunter sits out 2018 and then plays the next 3 years unless he leaves early for the NFL. Unless Piferi redshirts in 2019, he would have 4yrs to play. The result would be Piferi would have 1 year left after Hunter is done unless one leaves early or Piferi redshirts.

If Hunter decides to come to Purdue he will sit out this year and have 3yrs of eligibility left. If Piferi comes to Purdue he will arrive with 4yrs of eligibility. So lets say in the unlikely scenario they both come to Purdue this is how it plays out. Hunter sits out 2018 and then plays the next 3 years unless he leaves early for the NFL. Unless Piferi redshirts in 2019, he would have 4yrs to play. The result would be Piferi would have 1 year left after Hunter is done unless one leaves early or Piferi redshirts.
Also a chance Hunter doesn’t stick around all 4 years.

the QB from California could verbally commit and then decommit if Hunter commits. There would still be plenty of time and also offers for him.

You have Plummer in the mix as well. Hunter would scramble the whole QB succession.

Reactions: Purdue11
That's why I say if Hunter came to Purdue, you'd see a quick exodus of existing QBs like Sipe and/or Plummer and Brohm wouldn't sign any QB in his 2019 class.

Reactions: Purdue11
That's why I say if Hunter came to Purdue, you'd see a quick exodus of existing QBs like Sipe and/or Plummer and Brohm wouldn't sign any QB in his 2019 class.

Sipe would possibly leave, but I don't see Plummer leaving. Plummer likely has a redshirt year, so even if Johnson stayed, he would be in line for a minimum of one year. Plummer wasn't likely going to pass Sindelar/Blough this year or Sindelar next year. It is possible that CJB goes with a two QB system, but I wouldn't count on that.

Also, If Johnson does what we expect, and has two good years, he could be a first round pick and would be eligible to leave (technically could do that after one playing year at Purdue). That would give Plummer two years as a starter (maybe even 3). Where as transferring he would have to sit a year. It would give him maybe an extra year assuming he is an instant starter wherever he goes.

Brohm likes competition so he is going to encourage Plummer to stay and develop him, and I wouldn't be surprised if Plummer stays. It would be unlikely that a '19 QB signs as well, but it's possible if one of the high targets CJB is after signs up that he would take them. Again, he likes compition and he just went through a year that both of his starting QBs got hurt. Not to mention, he is losing Blough, and with adding Johnson he could (could, not will) lose Sindelar and Sipe. That would give him 2 QBs you feel really good about. CJB has a better pulse on his guys and where they are at than we do, so if he feels he needs a QB and Johnson, he will do it. Bazelak and Piferi are the two I would watch. Piferi isn't super highly rated, but he is in the top 1000 so maybe he doesn't expect to start 3 years. So, if he redshirts, he would have st this point, one year to start. If Piferi is as good as everybody says, it would be nice to have him even if it is only one year as a starter. 6'5... laser rocket arm....

The most likely transfer in my mind (outside of Sipe) would be Sindelar if Hunter jumps him on the depth chart. He has proven he can play and would be free to leave without any restrictions. I would hope CJB lays it out for him and is honest. If Purdue lands Hunter and he is clearly better to CJB after the year, I hope he lets Sindelar know with plenty of time to grab a good gig. If Sindelar is clearly better than Johnson, I hope CJB tells him and Sindelar stays that final year.

If Johnson commits, I think the writing is on the wall for Sipe. Johnson has 3 years and Sipe isn't passing Blough and Sindelar this year. Then he would be behind Johnson and Plummer (although right now they are very close together as far as ability goes, Plummer likely passes him this year with proper training and time with CJB).

I'm not sure Johnson is as good as everybody says he is. I admit he's good but he didn't beat out the QB at Clemson last year or this year. Admitted those were also great QBs. But Sindelar also carries some impressive credentials. The last thing we need is to tell Sindelar to transfer because we now have Hunter.

I also doubt Plummer would stay just to play 1 year asBrohm will certainly sign another QB next year and the year after etc. Those would be the QBs hoping to succeed Hunter, not somebody already in place. Hunter's replacement would come from the 2021 class.

I would disagree on that statement. Recruits don't get rated that high, like he was, unless you show it during games and/or showcases. Hunter is that good. He has the skills to be a Heisman candidate. I think his skills work better with a system like Brohm, since he is a pro style QB, than they do at other programs who like the dual threat QB. I think we would be very lucky to get him. That being said. We will do just fine if he doesn't. We will probably hear something soon one way or the other.

Reactions: 72Boiler
I'm not sure Johnson is as good as everybody says he is. I admit he's good but he didn't beat out the QB at Clemson last year or this year. Admitted those were also great QBs. But Sindelar also carries some impressive credentials. The last thing we need is to tell Sindelar to transfer because we now have Hunter.

I also doubt Plummer would stay just to play 1 year asBrohm will certainly sign another QB next year and the year after etc. Those would be the QBs hoping to succeed Hunter, not somebody already in place. Hunter's replacement would come from the 2021 class.

Nothing like rationalizing your way out of 5 star talent.

1) upper class men beat him out
2) Sindelar played well the last 3 games but he still has his issue
3) you can never have too much talent. If they transfer oh well

Johnson was a true freshman competing against junior (dual threat QB.) Most freshman quarterbacks take a redshirt year to learn the system and to grow physically with the strength and conditioning. The fact that Johnson didn't redshirt meant that he was good enough to play and to help. The incoming recruit is, ranked top 3 (number 1 overall on 247) and number one pocket passing QB, has more of an impact that the current QB being there. If Johnson wants to be closer to home and there is an offense that will showcase him much closer to home, (Purdue was a dumpster fire when he was being recruited), it would make sense for him to play out his 3 years that way. It was a business decision and had nothing to do with him not being good enough to play.

It seems obvious that Purdue right now is the best choice. The biggest deciding factors is going to be if Johnson thinks Brohm will stay the next four years. Purdue just gave him an extension and showed a willingness to increase his pay based on success. If Brohm lands a top 25 class, my guess is he will get another raise as revenue continues to climb. I am incredibly excited about the players that are putting Purdue on their top lists. Weaver, Grant, and GK on that defense would make Purdue scary on that side of the ball. Brohm is in the mix for some nice offensive weapons as well. Got to land 2-3 big time offensive linemen to go with the weapons though.

Camp is coming up. Pay attention to who goes. I am sure several commitments will happen through the month of June. Would love to see Weaver and Grant committed by June. CJ Person is another possibility that could make an early decision for Purdue. His current offers are kind of surprising giving the talent he has so locking him in early would be great.

On the offensive side of the ball we have Bell to watch. He likely won't make a decision until very late and that likely hinges on Brohm guaranteeing his return. There are several other WRs and RBs to watch and I am sure there will be some offensive linemen that become a priority over the camp.

Right now, Purdue is in great shape. Competing for top talent and as some of these 4 and 5 star guys jump on board, it leads to more 4 and 5 star guys.

I could see if Sindelar is injured or has a mediocre season this year, Hunter after sitting out this season would be given a chance to start. However, I believe if Sindelar performs as well as he did to lose out the year and throws for 3,500 yards, he would be in contention for some major awards and would start the following year or maybe even turn pro early.

The guy I am concerned about is Plummer. I can't believe he would stick around if Hunter commits.

I could see if Sindelar is injured or has a mediocre season this year, Hunter after sitting out this season would be given a chance to start. However, I believe if Sindelar performs as well as he did to lose out the year and throws for 3,500 yards, he would be in contention for some major awards and would start the following year or maybe even turn pro early.

The guy I am concerned about is Plummer. I can't believe he would stick around if Hunter commits.

You’re worried about an unproven commodity? Why

You’re worried about an unproven commodity? Why

Let me rephrase my thoughts.

I believe Hunter is and will be a great QB. However, now that we have a solid offensive line and a bunch of WRs that look like they can catch a pass, I believe Sindelar will prove he's also a great QB. And if Sindelar throws for 3,000+ yards and 30 TDs, I'd like to keep him in place for another year!

What I dont want to see is revolving QBs like we had revolving kickers last year. Michigan tried revolving QBs with Brady and Henning(?) and the results were mixed. I hated the year we had 3 QBs as starters looking for the right combination.

Let me rephrase my thoughts.

I believe Hunter is and will be a great QB. However, now that we have a solid offensive line and a bunch of WRs that look like they can catch a pass, I believe Sindelar will prove he's also a great QB. And if Sindelar throws for 3,000+ yards and 30 TDs, I'd like to keep him in place for another year!

What I dont want to see is revolving QBs like we had revolving kickers last year. Michigan tried revolving QBs with Brady and Henning(?) and the results were mixed. I hated the year we had 3 QBs as starters looking for the right combination.

Brohm will most likely play 2 qbs every year he is here. He did it at wku as well.

Also we don’t have a solid o line. Our best/only lt is coming off acl surgery. Evans and Mendez are liabilities at LG and we don’t know what is going on with the right side.

Brohm will most likely play 2 qbs every year he is here. He did it at wku as well.

Also we don’t have a solid o line. Our best/only lt is coming off acl surgery. Evans and Mendez are liabilities at LG and we don’t know what is going on with the right side.

But we now have Edwards !

And please tell me that is not the truth about playing 2 QBs. I hate that concept/philosophy even more than playing a prevent defense.

But we now have Edwards !

And please tell me that is not the truth about playing 2 QBs. I hate that concept/philosophy even more than playing a prevent defense.

Still 1 lineman short and no depth

As for qb, he does it to build depth

dude... Clempson has recruited 5-star QB after 5-star QB.

well obviously, only one starts and that one beat out the others, so maybe the others are not as great as they were hyped up to be. I've watched a few Clemson games. And their starting QB didn't look any better than Sindelar looked against Arizona.

I'm not downplaying how great Hunter is. I'm just singing the praise of Sindelar and saying he's better than many of you are giving him credit for. Some of you sound like the second Hunter commits, he'll be given the starter's job.

before coming to Purdue, Sindelar had a fairly impressive high school career himself. he shattered the record of a pretty impressive Kentucky high school QB.

By all accounts, Sindelar will be Purdue's starting QB this year. Hunter would have to sit out a year. if Sindelar matches his production of late last year over the course of the 2018 season, , I would start him over Hunter the following year, and allow Hunter to challenge for the starting QB position his final two years. if you're winning, and your QB is putting up great numbers, why change just because his back-up had a higher rating coming out of high school?

By George, who was the last 5 star QB from Indiana that signed with Purdue?

Reactions: Bill4411
well obviously, only one starts and that one beat out the others, so maybe the others are not as great as they were hyped up to be. I've watched a few Clemson games. And their starting QB didn't look any better than Sindelar looked against Arizona.

I'm not downplaying how great Hunter is. I'm just singing the praise of Sindelar and saying he's better than many of you are giving him credit for. Some of you sound like the second Hunter commits, he'll be given the starter's job.

before coming to Purdue, Sindelar had a fairly impressive high school career himself. he shattered the record of a pretty impressive Kentucky high school QB.

By all accounts, Sindelar will be Purdue's starting QB this year. Hunter would have to sit out a year. if Sindelar matches his production of late last year over the course of the 2018 season, , I would start him over Hunter the following year, and allow Hunter to challenge for the starting QB position his final two years. if you're winning, and your QB is putting up great numbers, why change just because his back-up had a higher rating coming out of high school?

By George, who was the last 5 star QB from Indiana that signed with Purdue?
Brother, I'm not making this about Sindelar vs Hunter or anything else.

When a school recruits 3-4 5 star QBs a over a 2-3 year period, something's gotta give! They ain't all gonna play, so there are some decisions to be made!

Some of the posts here sound like the typical fantasy baseball player! You love and must have the super hyped prospect who hasn't played a game at the major league level over the guy who wasn't spectacular, but led you to your league championship last year.

Some people care more about the players we could have verses the players we currently have.

Reactions: d1deschepper
Some of the posts here sound like the typical fantasy baseball player! You love and must have the super hyped prospect who hasn't played a game at the major league level over the guy who wasn't spectacular, but led you to your league championship last year.

Some people care more about the players we could have verses the players we currently have.

Some people can do both.

Reactions: nat100
Man we are all way ahead of ourselves here.
1. None of us know if Hunter is even going to come to Purdue.
2. None of us know for sure who would beat out who for the starting job a year from now if Hunter comes to Purdue.
3. Hell, none of us know for sure if Sindelar will even beat out Blough for the starting job this year.

Blough is further along in his recovery than Sindelar and not to take anything away from Sindelar, but there were times when I thought Blough played better than Sindelar last year. Sindelar was great down the stretch last season and had a great Bowl game performance though.

I have never seen Hunter play, but you don't get ranked as high as he did without being an absolute stud QB in high school. Will that translate into college? I would think so. It looked like he did pretty well in the Clemson spring game. If he turns out to be as good as most of us think, then he will most likely only play 2 years where ever he ends up. Then it will be off to the NFL to get paid.

If both Sindelar and Blough are healthy then most likely Plummer redshirts. If someone gets hurt they can always pull the redshirt. No matter if Hunter comes or not I think Plummer redshirts. He is not gonna transfer if Hunter comes here because he committed knowing it would most likely be 2 years before he saw time on the field.

When it is all said and done, it doesn't matter to a coach what your rank is in high school, how many years you have been with the team, or even what you did a year ago. What will matter is who is performing the best in practice and games. That will be the guy starting and playing because coaches want to win above all else. Who ever performs will start.

Last edited:
Man we are all way ahead of ourselves here.
1. None of us know if Hunter is even going to come to Purdue.
2. None of us know for sure who would beat out who for the starting job a year from now if Hunter comes to Purdue.
3. Hell, none of us know for sure if Sindelar will even beat out Blough for the starting job this year.

Blough is further along in his recovery than Sindelar and not to take anything away from Sindelar, but there were times when I thought Blough played better than Sindelar last year. Sindelar was great down the stretch last season and had a great Bowl game performance though.

I have never seen Hunter play, but you don't get ranked as high as he did without being an absolute stud QB in high school. Will that translate into college? I would think so. It looked like he did pretty well in the Clemson spring game. If he turns out to be as good as most of us think, then he will most likely only play 2 years where ever he ends up. Then it will be off to the NFL to get paid.

If both Sindelar and Blough are healthy then most likely Plummer redshirts. If someone gets hurt they can always pull the redshirt. No matter if Hunter comes or not I think Plummer redshirts. He is not gonna transfer if Hunter comes here because he committed knowing it would most likely be 2 years before he saw time on the field.

When it is all said and done, it doesn't matter to a coach what your rank is in high school, how many years you have been with the team, or even what you did a year ago. What will matter is who is performing the best in practice and games. That will be the guy starting and playing because coaches want to win above all else. Who ever performs will start.

I'm confused: we DO or we DO NOT want him to enroll at Purdue?

I'm confused: we DO or we DO NOT want him to enroll at Purdue?
I hope he comes to Purdue. My point is that there is an argument over who would start, but we don't even know if he will come to Purdue. Just saying maybe we are all putting the cart before the horse.

I hope he comes to Purdue. My point is that there is an argument over who would start, but we don't even know if he will come to Purdue. Just saying maybe we are all putting the cart before the horse.

Yeah, i get it, but we're fans. It's what fans do, talk about different scenarios and how things might play out.

It's all good.

Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
the QB from California could verbally commit and then decommit if Hunter commits. There would still be plenty of time and also offers for him.

Who cares about the kid from California. I want to see Purdue land Hunter Johnson.

I am hoping for Johnson, but if not I think any of the other three we are recruiting would be great to get.... Piferi, Calzada, or Bazelak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT