ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Reaction to the First Depth Chart of the Season

Kyle_Holderfield

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 22, 2022
West Lafayette, IN
  • I am surprised to see both Max Klare and Drew Biber ahead of Paul Piferi with Garrett Miller still recovering from the knee injury. Piferi has more experience, but the staff has said only great things about Klare.
  • Dillon Thieneman starting is no surprise. We have hinted at that for a couple of weeks. He has been one of the best defensive players on the roster all summer and then into Fall Camp.
  • Freshman Will Heldt is listed as the backup at OLB for Kydran Jenkins. The true freshman from Carmel has opened eyes at camp, similar to Thieneman. Don't be surprised if Sydnor is the immediate backup for both OLB spots though, most of the time coaches do not like to list one player as a backup for multiple positions.
  • Yanni gets the nod to start at MLB next to OC Brothers. Hopefully, he can cement himself there, as the previous staff bounced him around quite a bit.

• I am surprised to see both Max Klare and Drew Biber ahead of Paul Piferi with Garrett Miller still recovering from the knee injury. Piferi has more experience, but the staff has said only great things about Klare.
  • Dillon Thieneman starting is no surprise. We have hinted at that for a couple of weeks. He has been one of the best defensive players on the roster all summer and then into Fall Camp.
  • Freshman Will Heldt is listed as the backup at OLB for Kydran Jenkins. The true freshman from Carmel has opened eyes at camp, similar to Thieneman. Don't be surprised if Sydnor is the immediate backup for both OLB spots though, most of the time coaches do not like to list one player as a backup for multiple positions.
  • Yanni gets the nod to start at MLB next to OC Brothers. Hopefully, he can cement himself there, as the previous staff bounced him around quite a bit.
You're thoughts on Walter's "unique" 3-4-5 defense?

Jokes aside, which DB is the nickel and do they pull a MLB or OLB?

You're thoughts on Walter's "unique" 3-4-5 defense?

Jokes aside, which DB is the nickel and do they pull a MLB or OLB?
Yea, I think it is more of a 5-2 defense or a 5-1 defense with 5 DBS. I would assume Kane would roll down into the box as a run support Defensive Back - hes the best tackler on the team IMO

Little surprised to Yanni as a starter, and that is a good surprise. Hopefully, this new defensive system will give him the opportunity to show what he can do.

Reactions: tenwest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT