ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois vs Purdue Game Discussion

Any clue what the tie breaker situation would be if Illinois rebounds with a win against Michigan and it’s a 3-way Illinois/Purdue/Wisconsin or Illinois/Purdue/Iowa?

Have to check FDB, but I think the next tie-breaker is winning percentage among the tied teams within the division, which would knock Purdue out of a tie with Illinois and Wisconsin. Same thing with Iowa......I think Illinois might have it in that scenario because if only two teams remain after any step, the head-to-head winner is the division representative I think. Also, if it's Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue - then Purdue would take it having defeated both of the other tied teams.

Purdue has two division losses (Wisconsin and Iowa)
Illinois has one (Purdue)
Iowa has one (Illinois)
Wisconsin has one (Illinois)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Have to check FDB, but I think the next tie-breaker is winning percentage among the tied teams within the division, which would knock Purdue out of a tie with Illinois and Wisconsin. Same thing with Iowa......I think Illinois might have it in that scenario.

Purdue has two division losses (Wisconsin and Iowa)
Illinois has one (Purdue)
Iowa has one (Illinois)
Wisconsin has one (Illinois)
Hmmm.. That appears to check out. Go Blue.

Purdue basically needs to win out and have the Gophers beat the Iowa/Wisconsin winner. Those are both big rivalry games - Minnesota/Wisconsin (Paul Bunyan's Axe) and Minnesota/Iowa (Floyd of Rosedale).....so we shall see.......

Oh Ya! You Betcha! :)
Minnesota gets Iowa at home, Wisconsin at Camp Randall. I think I like the Gophs more at home. But I’ve been known to pick to wrong team to root for. Iowa up 7-3.

To me, Purdue’s best chance is for Wisky to lose today in Iowa. Then have Minny win at home vs Iowa. If, and this season it’s a big if, Purdue can win out.

That looks like the best scenario - but this has been another roller coaster of a season.

On cue - Mertz just serves up an interception for a TD on an early Thanksgiving Day platter.

In over sixty years of watching football,I dont ever recall seeing that penalty called..

I've seen it called in the NFL from time to time, but I can't recall ever seeing it in a college game. I'd still like to know if it was for movement laterally or with the hands or for audible signals.

Big surprise that a Big Ten conference game had the officials inserted as an integral part of the game. Now with that - Purdue seemed to get more calls than usual, but the game appeared on the edge the entire time, and even with a few fracases - I'm surprised a bigger brawl didn't break out - thankfully.

Last edited:
I've seen it called in the NFL from time to time, but I can't recall ever seeing it in a college game. I'd still like to know if it was for movement laterally or with the hands or for audible signals.

Big surprise that a Big Ten conference game had the officials inserted as an integral part of the game. Now with that - Purdue seemed to get more calls than usual, but the game appeared on the edge the entire time, and even with a few fracases - I'm surprised a bigger brawl didn't break out - thankfully.
Just saw a pretty similar call in the TX/TCU game. Tx defense shifted and penalty for delay of game against the defense was called.

Reactions: TX4GB
Bring tOSU on! Just imagine what good it would do if we beat them in the B1G championship. I want that chance. You never know when you play the game. I think they have lost several of their top RBs already.
OSU’s top RB, was injured so their next best stepped in. He gained 150 yards against IU in the first half and became injured. So their third string RB stepped in. He gained only 100 yards in the second half. Supposedly their #1 RB is coming back.

OSU had two receivers drafted in the first round of the nfl draft. Their best receiver last year returned to OSU but has been injured for the majority of this year. Just think what he will do when he returns healthy!

Remember the year OSU’s third string QB led them to a national championship? Didn’t BOSA sit out almost an entire year because of injuries? Did OSU lose a game that year?

when it comes to OSU and injuries, sometimes it’s better to play their original starters than to hope for injuries and play their second string!

Bring tOSU on! Just imagine what good it would do if we beat them in the B1G championship. I want that chance. You never know when you play the game. I think they have lost several of their top RBs already.
Without running backs Steoud would cement his Heisman claim throwing over the top to his receiving corp.

OSU’s top RB, was injured so their next best stepped in. He gained 150 yards against IU in the first half and became injured. So their third string RB stepped in. He gained only 100 yards in the second half. Supposedly their #1 RB is coming back.

At this point in the season, what RB doesn't gain 100 yards against Indinia?

What B1G team has the most wins against OSU this century?

I want to play them. It means good things happen the next two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT