ADVERTISEMENT

If you're a male basketball player wanting to play at a D1 school, and you had a choice

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
Of playing for Matta at Butler or for Woody, which would be your choice.

Will Matta bring top players to Butler? Will IU lose any to Butler...though Butler's education is of a much higher caliber.

By the same token, will Purdue lose any to Matta?

Personally, I think it's going to add to the recruiting race in the state.

hmmm, Matta always looks as if he's on the verge of stroking out on the sidelines.

Woody, well, he just looks kinda sleepy.

Guess I'd choose Ball State.

Will Matta bring top players to Butler? Will IU lose any to Butler...though Butler's education is of a much higher caliber.

During the meltdown after St Peters loss. Some challenged me on who would be an upgrade to CMP and I said Matta only to hear he won’t coach again and has a cushy $400k gig at IU. But what do i know. except he is a great tournament coach who’s hometown is 40 minutes from Purdue

During the meltdown after St Peters loss. Some challenged me on who would be an upgrade to CMP and I said Matta only to hear he won’t coach again and has a cushy $400k gig at IU. But what do i know. except he is a great tournament coach who’s hometown is 40 minutes from Purdue
He wouldn't be an upgrade or even a long term solution. He likely will only be at Butler a few years then they are back looking for a new coach and we would be in the same boat. So yeah, Matta isn't an upgrade he at best would be instant gratification, assuming he did much in the tourney which isn't a guarantee and that's it.

With both Woody and Matta, I think you have to question how long they will be there.

Yes he had success, but before he stepped down at OSU, his seat was definitely getting warm as he had noticeably fallen off. People keep thinking Matta at his peak and ignoring how it ended at OSU before health forced him out.

He wouldn't be an upgrade or even a long term solution. He likely will only be at Butler a few years then they are back looking for a new coach and we would be in the same boat. So yeah, Matta isn't an upgrade he at best would be instant gratification, assuming he did much in the tourney which isn't a guarantee and that's it.
But you acknowledge that "if he did much" that would be an upgrade?

Reactions: BSIT
But you acknowledge that "if he did much" that would be an upgrade?
If he did much, that would put us in the same place we usually are.

He missed the tournament his last two years at OSU and early exits the previous two.

It's been almost a decade since he's had much success in the NCAAs

He missed the tournament his last two years at OSU and early exits the previous two.

and yet YOU said "if he does much". ;)

• Haha
Waiting on a F4 for 42 years isn’t instant gratification

You are leaving out his prior success. During his “downturn he was having health problems. After the RH era, painter also had issues too and rebounded to where we are. No F4 in 42 years. I’m afraid we have seen CMP ceiling which is very similar to Keady’s

I’m afraid we have seen CMP ceiling which is very similar to Keady’s
That is just such a stupid thing to say because it is very easily disproven if you pay attention. Painter is always evolving and still relatively 'young' with a lot of coaching left where Gene really didn't change much. The two couldn't be more different as Painter has changed over the last couple years with who he recruits and play style.

That is just such a stupid thing to say because it is very easily disproven if you pay attention. Painter is always evolving and still relatively 'young' with a lot of coaching left where Gene really didn't change much. The two couldn't be more different as Painter has changed over the last couple years with who he recruits and play style.
Agree he adapts better than Keady and even got onto the Mothers Club bandwagon after the E8 but the last 2 years confirmed my prior skepticism of his ceiling

You are leaving out his prior success. During his “downturn he was having health problems. After the RH era, painter also had issues too and rebounded to where we are. No F4 in 42 years. I’m afraid we have seen CMP ceiling which is very similar to Keady’s
And that's just it, while he says he's healthy enough to coach, once you start the grind of coaching and recruiting, how long does his health hold up for? He hasn't gotten any younger and I don't think he can do it for more than a couple of years. Honestly, I will be surprised if he makes it the entire first year. He doesn't look healthy enough for the job and he did supposedly fail the physical at IU, I doubt there was much change in that status in one year.

Name recognition may be enough to help Butler climb out of the cellar of the Big East to at least give his successor a little better footing, but that's about it.

And that's just it, while he says he's healthy enough to coach, once you start the grind of coaching and recruiting, how long does his health hold up for? He hasn't gotten any younger and I don't think he can do it for more than a couple of years. Honestly, I will be surprised if he makes it the entire first year. He doesn't look healthy enough for the job and he did supposedly fail the physical at IU, I doubt there was much change in that status in one year.

Name recognition may be enough to help Butler climb out of the cellar of the Big East to at least give his successor a little better footing, but that's about it.
We’ll see if he can rebuild Butler. If he makes a deep tournament run, maybe the Purdue fans will sit back and continue to ask “why can’t we do that “?

Bob Knight was a great coach and gave Texas Tech instant gratification. Anyone remember when he took them to a FF?
Yep and Texas Tech bounced back after the Knight experiment. BTW how many F4’s did TT get too vs Purdue during this time frame. BB has changed with one and done players along with the transfer portal that makes it easier for teams to reload quickly. I’d love it if all schools had 4 year players but that isn’t today’s reality.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Matta will absolutely steal some...perhaps more than just some. His health is significantly improved, and he's a great guy who loves his alma mater. Butler has a cool, successful and recent tradition and is located in a sizable city. It's an uphill battle for Butler to compete at a high level in the Big East, but I think he's the right guy to do it. He's got lots of folks in Indy pulling for him.

Yep and Texas Tech bounced back after the Knight experiment. BTW how many F4’s did TT get too vs Purdue during this time frame. BB has changed with one and done players along with the transfer portal that makes it easier for teams to reload quickly. I’d love it if all schools had 4 year players but that isn’t today’s reality.
How many years was TT down before they "bounced back"?

Reactions: Level 42
if i was a D1 bball player looking for a new home, and i was transferring from St Peters, I'd first look in the mirror and get a dose of reality and tell myself there is no way I'll ever make the pros. and I'd select the school that offered me the best academic degree. I'd choose Northwestern or Stanford, or Michigan and Duke or an ivy league school. At some point players will realize going to a real job interview has much greater rewards than going to the March dance and combine. .

Woodson. I remember him as a player. He was great and knows the game.

He's hit some speed bumps getting started but he's recruiting well and I think the rivalry will return to the Knight-Keady days.

Matta's first recruit from the portal is a pretty good one.
6'8" Akron Zips Ali Ali led the Zips this year in points per game (13.9), assists (2.6) and 3-point percentage (.407). He made as many 3-point baskets (48) as Butler’s top scorer, Chuck Harris (11.4 ppg).

Ali made the Mid-American Conference all-tournament team, in which he scored 47 points in three games, and All-MAC second team while leading the Akron Zips to the NCAA tourney.

Wonder if this thing has been in teh works for a while? According to my sister he lives across the street from Barry Collier...

Why the hate for Butler?
Bc they are a (potentially) competitive Power 6 program that lies within the same state as Purdue, and could potentially fight us for and take in-state recruits? That’s hard to figure out?

I’m a Purdue alum and fan. Why would I have anything but distaste for any other CBB programs within the state of IN, or anywhere else for that matter??

Awww, Butler? Don’t be mean to little Butler. Seriously?? POTFB(ulldogs)

Agree with you. Never figured that one out other than they came out of nowhere to go to back to back F4’s while we have been waiting 42 years to return. Seems petty to me
I bet you were one of those IN rubes that bought Wal-mart Butler t-shirts and sweatshirts and cheered for them when they went to the Finals w Stevens. Amirite?!? Go Bulldogs!

• Haha
Reactions: BSIT and TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT