ADVERTISEMENT

If you can only pick one player...

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
...to make sizable improvement from this past season to next, who would you choose? Another way to phrase it would be which one player's improvement is the most crucial to the team's success next season?

Myself, I would pick Matt Haarms. If he can find his perimeter shooting stroke to go with a stronger low-post game, the Boilers will give opponents fits.

Last edited:
...to make sizeable improvement from this past season to next, who would you choose? Another way to phrase it would be which one player's improvement is the most crucial to the team's success next season?

Myself, I would pick Matt Haarms. If he can find his perimeter shooting stroke to go with a stronger low-post game, the Boilers will give opponents fits.
I dont know if he counts, but I would say Wheeler. He has the size and athleticism to be scary good.

I'd say Matt Haarms. If he does find a consistent 3pt shot, he would be a unicorn. He's a great defender, pretty damn athletic for his size, and he has a motor unlike any other I've seen since Kramer.

Reactions: Schnelk
...to make sizeable improvement from this past season to next, who would you choose? Another way to phrase it would be which one player's improvement is the most crucial to the team's success next season?

If I were to pick the one player that I would most want to make sizable improvements it would be Nojel so the forum is more peaceful this season if you no what I mean!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!

I actually expect a more than sizable improvement from Mr Eastern, but I agree that a Haarms that can hit the three AND dominate the paint would be huge and open things up for everyone.

If we are talking like you said, from last season to this season, then "newbies" are out...…….and I agree with your choice of Haarms. Like everyone else, if he develops from outside, that would be fantastic. However, I don't want him shying away from contact either. There's a time to be nice and a time not to be nice.
th

Make him get a buzz cut and slap him around a bit before each game...…...and PU will be golden.

BTW, how's this years team going to be at shooting FTs?

I’d love to see Tommy Luce improve enough to become the next Earl Boykins (EMU). And then see him make monkeys out of the indiana hoosiers. But of course I repeat myself.

Nojel....

If I were to pick the one player that I would most want to make sizable improvements it would be Nojel so the forum is more peaceful this season if you no what I mean!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!

I actually expect a more than sizable improvement from Mr Eastern, but I agree that a Haarms that can hit the three AND dominate the paint would be huge and open things up for everyone.
I no what you mean sir

Reactions: Boiler Buck
...to make sizable improvement from this past season to next, who would you choose? Another way to phrase it would be which one player's improvement is the most crucial to the team's success next season?

Hard to argue with Haarms here. This team NEEDS him to be consistent scorer and rebounder if they want to contend for another B1G title and make a NCAA tourney run.

I'd say Matt Haarms. If he does find a consistent 3pt shot, he would be a unicorn. He's a great defender, pretty damn athletic for his size, and he has a motor unlike any other I've seen since Kramer.
Boogie has had some great comments on Matt...even saying he has ‘guard feet’ and that his skill set wasn’t really used last’s year bc of the offense built around the 4 seniors. I think Haarms is the default answer because of his potential to become the second option to Boogie...but I’m going to go with someone else.

Sasha. Given the offense will be tailored more to Haarms’ strengths in the PNR and getting him to get the posts away from the basket, I think a bump in improvement is likely to occur no matter what. He also shouldn’t have the usual sophomore struggles because technically he is a junior. If Sasha has developed a more consistent game as a shooter and defender (he is more athletically gifted than Cline is), that could go a long way in developing a deeper bench to play with on the wings. If Carsen, Nojel, Cline, and Wheeler (and lesser extent Evan) are the consistent wings...Sasha making a big improvement goes a very long way to maintaining the space on the floor for Nojel, Wheeler, and Boogie to attack the lane. It could also allow more ease for Haarms to operate more freely as well.

***just trying to make a case for a player not named Haarms***

Eastern

JUST KIDDING!!!

he doesn't even have to go that far...just be a threat out to 15 and he opens it up...for himself to drive AND others...

I’m gonna say Cline bcuz now he will have his opportunity to showcase what he can do bcuz he’ll get the minute to showcase some of his abilities to get to the basket off the dribble that would make teams guarding him not expect that from him. Dunkin Robinson proved that last a game ago by showing he can take you off the dribble and get the the basket and he dunked on that player when he did it. Cline similar to Robinson known as spot up shooters in college but probably can do a few more things with the ball than what has been shown. I expect big season from him. Didn’t pick my son bcuz I expect nothing but for him to do what god gave him the talent to do HOOP. He’s mentally and physically ready more focused than I’ve ever seen him and the things he said he would work on in the off season he has and still is. What a difference it makes when you gain confidence knowing you gonna play and getting plenty of reps up everyday can do for a player when you got the time to work on it. He got his swagger back is what I see the most.

Eastern.

Has the tools to simply dominate opposing guards. Looking forward to seeing this happen on the court. And looking to see how coach exploits him offensively as an obvious mismatch for most teams this year.

Eastern developing all-around offensively. Although Haarms developing a better offensive game (jumpshot) would probably be a close second.

Reactions: nagemj02
Boogie has had some great comments on Matt...even saying he has ‘guard feet’ and that his skill set wasn’t really used last’s year bc of the offense built around the 4 seniors. I think Haarms is the default answer because of his potential to become the second option to Boogie...but I’m going to go with someone else.

Sasha. Given the offense will be tailored more to Haarms’ strengths in the PNR and getting him to get the posts away from the basket, I think a bump in improvement is likely to occur no matter what. He also shouldn’t have the usual sophomore struggles because technically he is a junior. If Sasha has developed a more consistent game as a shooter and defender (he is more athletically gifted than Cline is), that could go a long way in developing a deeper bench to play with on the wings. If Carsen, Nojel, Cline, and Wheeler (and lesser extent Evan) are the consistent wings...Sasha making a big improvement goes a very long way to maintaining the space on the floor for Nojel, Wheeler, and Boogie to attack the lane. It could also allow more ease for Haarms to operate more freely as well.

***just trying to make a case for a player not named Haarms***

I’d agree with the continued development / breakout from Haarms being the most vital to team success. If I were to pick someone other than Haarms I’d go with Nojel followed by Cline. If Nojel can become a bigger version of Chris Kramer with better offensive skills he’d be a heck of a contributor. I have a hard tome seeing Cline becoming a star but if he can be the guy that you can’t leave open from deep, play smart defense and make good passes it would be a great jump for him and a big plus for the team.

I’d agree with the continued development / breakout from Haarms being the most vital to team success. If I were to pick someone other than Haarms I’d go with Nojel followed by Cline. If Nojel can become a bigger version of Chris Kramer with better offensive skills he’d be a heck of a contributor. I have a hard tome seeing Cline becoming a star but if he can be the guy that you can’t leave open from deep, play smart defense and make good passes it would be a great jump for him and a big plus for the team.

Your description is already what Cline is though. He is widely considered the best post entry passer, hits threes at a great rate, and plays smart defense (he does make some bad fouls at times but I chalk that up to over effort rather than stupidity given his limited minutes). Cline needs to show an ability to put the ball on the floor and hit a pull-up 12-18 foot jumper.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Your description is already what Cline is though. He is widely considered the best post entry passer, hits threes at a great rate, and plays smart defense (he does make some bad fouls at times but I chalk that up to over effort rather than stupidity given his limited minutes). Cline needs to show an ability to put the ball on the floor and hit a pull-up 12-18 foot jumper.

I agree with you for the most part as I’m a fan of Ryan’s, but I’d like to 1) see him do it consistently for 25 to 30 mpg and 2) show that he’s not just a good 3 pt shooter but rather a 45% guy who will make you pay every time you leave him unattended.

If he can add a mid range game and ability to drive that’s gravy, but I would be pleasantly surprised to see that at this point.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

Completely agree with Haarms. If he becomes a major scoring threat, this team's gonna be really dangerous.

My second choice is Eastern. He's just that good defensively. And I don't think he needs to be an outside threat to be a huge difference maker offensively.

Wheeler is the key

Reactions: LionBulldog83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT