ADVERTISEMENT

If I were king …

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
I’d play Eastern 30 minutes, Edwards 36, Cline 24, Wheeler 22 and Haarms 22, backed by Hunter 16 [at 1 and 3], Stefanovich 8 [at 2 and 3], Eifert 6 [at 3], Boudreaux 18 [at 4] and Williams 18 [at 5].

I’d have Eastern shoot free throws with the same release he uses for his teardrop -- one hand and soft as a baby blowing a kiss -- then do more driving and dishing … and dropping.

I’d have Haarms work on catching a medicine ball thrown like a dodge ball -- with Edwards working on the throws.

I’d make sure not to bench Hunter -- or anyone else -- right after they miss a shot.

I’d run an offense that doesn’t have shooters sprinting away from the basket on the catch.

I’d have a defense sticking more to 3-point shooters in favor of helping inside, where, if repeatedly beaten, we’d make use of our fouls. Hack a Happ.

I’d recruit players who can all run and jump and shoot and enjoy the game instead of reflecting my own playing days.

I like your numbers. At some point you have to start Wheeler over Eifert. To not do this would be indefensible. I am starting to lose my patience with Painter but we will see. Perhaps he will see the light.

I’d play Eastern 30 minutes, Edwards 36, Cline 24, Wheeler 22 and Haarms 22, backed by Hunter 16 [at 1 and 3], Stefanovich 8 [at 2 and 3], Eifert 6 [at 3], Boudreaux 18 [at 4] and Williams 18 [at 5].

I’d have Eastern shoot free throws with the same release he uses for his teardrop -- one hand and soft as a baby blowing a kiss -- then do more driving and dishing … and dropping.

I’d have Haarms work on catching a medicine ball thrown like a dodge ball -- with Edwards working on the throws.

I’d make sure not to bench Hunter -- or anyone else -- right after they miss a shot.

I’d run an offense that doesn’t have shooters sprinting away from the basket on the catch.

I’d have a defense sticking more to 3-point shooters in favor of helping inside, where, if repeatedly beaten, we’d make use of our fouls. Hack a Happ.

I’d recruit players who can all run and jump and shoot and enjoy the game instead of reflecting my own playing days.

You lost me after your first 5 words King

Painter is really going to test the fanbase this year with his stubbornness. Be prepared for the same lineup and rotations next game.

Yeah, I'm very interested to see what he does next game. If the same line-up starts, and TW and AW don't see significant minutes, we have our answer. And I think he loses a pretty decent portion of the fan base.

The NE free throw thing is a real problem. If we ever go up on a team what is stopping them from just hacking NE and sending him to the line? There goes our lead. He would have to go to the bench as he is a liability in that area. I'm disappointed more work was not done on this during the off season.

Painter is really going to test the fanbase this year with his stubbornness. Be prepared for the same lineup and rotations next game.
I just can’t see Haarms starting next game. Completely ineffective against ND and wasn’t exactly tearing it up before that. Williams showed a lot of promise in only a handful of minutes. And as evidenced by his postgame remarks, CMP is clearly looking for answers right now. I think TW breaks the cycle and starts against Ohio.

Last edited:
Reactions: tenwest
The NE free throw thing is a real problem. If we ever go up on a team what is stopping them from just hacking NE and sending him to the line? There goes our lead. He would have to go to the bench as he is a liability in that area. I'm disappointed more work was not done on this during the off season.
From what I hear he did put a lot of work in during the off-season on this. To me it looks like he began shooting free throws at a very young age and never unlearned some of his bad habits. When you are little you have to do a little jump or put a hitch in your shot to get the ball to the rim. Now that he is a grown young man he doesn't need to do this. He needs to have a smooth stroke from the elbow and wrist without a hitch in it. He is plenty strong enough to get the ball to the rim with a smooth stroke and no hitch or jump into the free throw shot. Perhaps he should watch some film of some good free throw shooters and then try to mimick that motion over and over. I would fix the mechanics of the shot first and the the accuracy and improved percentage will follow.

I just can’t see Haarms starting next game. Completely ineffective against ND and wasn’t exactly tearing it up before that. Williams showed a lot of promise in only a handful of minutes. And as evidenced by his postgame remarks, CMP is clearly looking for answers right now. I think TW breaks the cycle and starts against Ohio.
I kind of agree, but we have to look at match ups. Haarms might be better at defending Happ.

Well, if CMP is as good a coach as some on this board say he is, then he’ll make the necessary adjustments, win 12 B1G games, and get the team into the tournament.

It is pretty amazing that a really high level D1 guard cannot shoot free throws.

Reactions: BCBtrio
It is pretty amazing that a really high level D1 guard cannot shoot free throws.
Sometimes these tremendous athletes just get by on that growing up and don't learn to shoot. Ben Simmons in NBA, 57% free throw shooter and can't hit a jumpshot.

No one is mistaking Nojel for Ben Simmons, 1st pick in the draft 2 years ago. I like Nojel; but he knew that was probably the greatest area of improvement coming into the season being our primary ball handler. Free throw shooting is repetition, hundreds a day.
It puts him in a tough spot; as does he play with 1 min to go and we’re up 5 on an opponent. You know fouls are coming. Really that’s been most games this year.
I don’t think anyone would fault him for shooting underhand at this point; even coming in at 50% he’d be hitting twice as many as he now

Nojel only gets to play 30 minutes if he does something other than walk the ball up the court half the time. Push it up the court or let Carsen push it on occasion. It seems like he often refuses to give Carsen the ball unless initiating the weave at the top of the key.

No one is mistaking Nojel for Ben Simmons, 1st pick in the draft 2 years ago. I like Nojel; but he knew that was probably the greatest area of improvement coming into the season being our primary ball handler. Free throw shooting is repetition, hundreds a day.
It puts him in a tough spot; as does he play with 1 min to go and we’re up 5 on an opponent. You know fouls are coming. Really that’s been most games this year.
I don’t think anyone would fault him for shooting underhand at this point; even coming in at 50% he’d be hitting twice as many as he now
As you suggested, free throw shooting and shooting in general is all repetition. If you work hard enough at it, you will at least be decent at it. It makes me wonder how he spent his offseason. There has been absolutely no improvement with his shooting. In fact, his numbers are far worse this season (0% from 3. 25% from the line). He supposedly was working with a shooting coach all offseason.

until he switches hands, and it's far too late for that, based on his dominant eye, it woin't improve

Reactions: Inspector100
From what I hear he did put a lot of work in during the off-season on this. To me it looks like he began shooting free throws at a very young age and never unlearned some of his bad habits. When you are little you have to do a little jump or put a hitch in your shot to get the ball to the rim. Now that he is a grown young man he doesn't need to do this. He needs to have a smooth stroke from the elbow and wrist without a hitch in it. He is plenty strong enough to get the ball to the rim with a smooth stroke and no hitch or jump into the free throw shot. Perhaps he should watch some film of some good free throw shooters and then try to mimick that motion over and over. I would fix the mechanics of the shot first and the the accuracy and improved percentage will follow.
He must switch hands, which won't happen. He is anomalous dominant and and is shooting with the wrong hand. The basket is simply not where his weaker eye sees it. His muscles try to compensate (the hitch), but his mind doesn't go there ...

He must switch hands, which won't happen. He is anomalous dominant and and is shooting with the wrong hand. The basket is simply not where his weaker eye sees it. His muscles try to compensate (the hitch), but his mind doesn't go there ...
I've thought the same thing. I feel like he has finished more baskets this season with his right hand. His right hand floater is actually pretty good.

Would an eye patch help?

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Would an eye patch help?
"Aye, Captain!"
latest

Reactions: bonefish1

If that's the case, why was his shot so much more fluid in high school?

I'd play music while he practices, and make him shoot to the rhythm. Once he bends his knees, everything should flow without pause.

I know you're messing around, but I think this issue is quite a lot like having "the yips" in golf. The longer you stand over a putt, the worse it gets.

Just trying to lighten things up.....

all joking aside, yes, I do think there is some parallel and perhaps a component of anxiousness.....loss of confidence....a mis-connection/mis-firing. I'm confident Nojel Eastern has the skills and capability/desire to get it figured out....From others who know much more than I do on the subject.....it's appreciated to get more information and a new perspective.

Reactions: chiboiler7
Just trying to lighten things up.....

all joking aside, yes, I do think there is some parallel and perhaps a component of anxiousness.....loss of confidence....a mis-connection/mis-firing. I'm confident Nojel Eastern has the skills and capability/desire to get it figured out....From others who know much more than I do on the subject.....it's appreciated to get more information and a new perspective.

This board definitely benefits from the occasional use of humor - don't change a thing!

If that's the case, why was his shot so much more fluid in high school?

I'd play music while he practices, and make him shoot to the rhythm. Once he bends his knees, everything should flow without pause.
Yeah, that's a great question. I think it has to do with the speed of the game in regard to his jump shot, it is SO MUCH faster that the mind cannot compensate fast enough and regarding FTs, it's fighting muscle memory. Just my thoughts based on my two sons who were both anomalous dominate. One set his 5A school scoring reecord and one couldn't find the damn side of the barn with perfect form.

re: MUSIC. it should, but it won't without shooting like 2,000 FTs correctly, and during the season, that's not possible. Everything I heard was that pros were working with him every day during the past off season ... hmmmmmm

Reactions: Beeazlebub
Sometimes these tremendous athletes just get by on that growing up and don't learn to shoot. Ben Simmons in NBA, 57% free throw shooter and can't hit a jumpshot.
Jump shots are different, at least there's a bunch of factors. But when you see some schmuck brought out of the stands for a half time contest and he looks better shooting free throws than a starter on a Power 5 program, that's an issue.

I know you're messing around, but I think this issue is quite a lot like having "the yips" in golf. The longer you stand over a putt, the worse it gets.

I still get more excited about hitting it 280 down the middle of the fairway with a slight draw than burying an 8 foot putt (unless it's for bird)

It's also why Jon Lester of the Cubs doesn't ever throw to 1st to hold runners on. He's too afraid he'll spaz out and put it in the stands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT