ADVERTISEMENT

I wondered if this team under performed the last few seasons......

TMA62

Junior
Nov 3, 2001
.....the last three games have answered that with a resounding, "Ya think?!?"

I was on here last year telling folks we had talent at the skill positions last year on both sides. The line was just terrible as well as the coaching (obviously).

the line has been bad on both sides for at least the last 4 years I remember one recruiting class that I believe had only 1 offensive lineman, and I was saying what????? Offensive lineman should be your #1 priority if you want to have any type of offense. and they were treated as an afterthought.

Dare I mention the names Cronk and Knight again? both players are now 6'5 , 305 lb starters for the wrong team. Both players could have and should have been playing for Purdue.

Line has 1.5 starters from last year on O (with McCann switching to G). That's why the OL looks different and better.

DL getting more out of guys who have always had the talent.

LBs have been huge for us and have taken a lot of the burden off the unit behind AND in front of them.

WR is still a position of need long term but we have some guys who can play.

We all knew we had some decent TEs and now we have the right coach to get them involved.

Excited about where the season could head.

I don't think Brohm would have played Appleby. He would have made Etling into a star.

I would agree. I always thought Etlin had more talent, and Applebee was more efficient, primary because he always made the short , safer passes.

I would agree. I always thought Etlin had more talent, and Applebee was more efficient, primary because he always made the short , safer passes.
Really?

Blough beat both these guys out as. RS Fr.

Looking at where things ended up in those 2 guys careers even Hazell made the correct choice.

People get jaded on those two because they ended up at 2 SEC schools with decent names and past success but Both schools had pretty miserable QB situations. 1 bad enough to get a coach fired and one bad enough that Appleby was clearly the best available option. Yikes!

Really?

Looking at where things ended up in those 2 guys careers even Hazell made the correct choice.

People get jaded on those two because they ended up at 2 SEC schools with decent names and past success but Both schools had pretty miserable QB situations. 1 bad enough to get a coach fired and one bad enough that Appleby was clearly the best available option. Yikes!
If Etling can start for two years at LSU, he's good enough for Brohm to turn him into an excellent QB. He got thrown into the fire way too soon by Hazell and Shoop destroyed his confidence with his offense. He had to leave.

Really?

If Etling can start for two years at LSU, he's good enough for Brohm to turn him into an excellent QB. He got thrown into the fire way too soon by Hazell and Shoop destroyed his confidence with his offense. He had to leave.

QBR rating of 10 yesterday for Eting in his 2nd year and 2nd Spring Training at LSU...just sayin'

Reactions: pboiler18

No. Lol.

He's just not as good as his ranking and the hype suggested. He's not going to make it through this season as the starter at LSU and only made it through last year because they were completely devoid of talent at the position.

If you can't see that Blough was the most talented of the 3, there's no helping you.

Blough was subject to 2 years of the same Shoop/Hazell coaching.

I don't think Brohm would have played Appleby. He would have made Etling into a star.
Appleby had the same problem as Sindelar - he throws too damn hard. If Brohm is able to correct it with Sindelar, he probably could have corrected it with Appleby. Appleby had great size and would be great to use in situations where you know the o line will be outmatched like against Michigan next week or Penn st, etc.
I apologize to any English teachers reading this as I notice my verb tenses are a mess in this post. :)

Appleby had the same problem as Sindelar - he throws too damn hard. If Brohm is able to correct it with Sindelar, he probably could have corrected it with Appleby. Appleby had great size and would be great to use in situations where you know the o line will be outmatched like against Michigan next week or Penn st, etc.
I apologize to any English teachers reading this as I notice my verb tenses are a mess in this post. :)
don't have to worry about psu this year.

I was never a fan of Applebee. He had a nice rating, but could never lead the team to score, especially in a 2 minute offense. What he did, he did well! But half of our offensive playbook was thrown out to accommodate his limitations!

We don't talk about it much, but Schoop came to Purdue with a complex and creative offensive playbook. And then threw half of it out because we didn't have an offensive line or talented enough players to execute his plays! And you could see it everytime we ran a trick play, it failed!

I still believe Etlin had the most talent. Blough proved he was the best of the three under Hazell's direction is rather laughable like Hazell would actually know how to utilize a QB's talent! If Etlin was provided an offensive line that could give him 4-5 seconds to drop back and throw, rather than running for his life, I believe you would have seen different results

No. Lol.

He's just not as good as his ranking and the hype suggested. He's not going to make it through this season as the starter at LSU and only made it through last year because they were completely devoid of talent at the position.

If you can't see that Blough was the most talented of the 3, there's no helping you.

Blough was subject to 2 years of the same Shoop/Hazell coaching.
When did I say that I thought Etling was better than Blough? HINT: I didn't. That said, Etling, would have flourished under the offense and coaching of the Brohms.

When did I say that I thought Etling was better than Blough? HINT: I didn't. That said, Etling, would have flourished under the offense and coaching of the Brohms.

Disagree here. Matt Canada is a great OC. Etling seems to be struggling there just as much as he did here.

I think Brohm would have found a way to make all 3 of them effective if needed, but Blough is the most complete of the 3. Appleby had no touch, and Etling had no presence.

As far as the talent goes, keep in mind how much Brohm had to bring in terms of fifth year transfers and Jucos to put this roster together. We were missing capable bodies at specific positions that were never even addressed by the previous staff.

Reactions: tjreese
I still believe Etlin has the most talent of the three! I also believe Sindelar has a better arm than Blough. However, Blough seems the best at moving the football! I'm concerned about Blough's lack of a deep vertical game and quick score ability! I'd like to see some more more home run balls and fly patterns to Holmes! You can't tell me Holmes needs 4 weeks to learn how to run a fly pattern !

He uses a run first offense - he's not a QB whisperer like Brohm.
Everything is superior there as far as talent around him.

I didn't think he was going to be successful. For us, or anybody else. Never mobile enough for the college game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT