ADVERTISEMENT

I was glad to see that Stacy

Last year we were improved, but the 14-0 spring game left me nervous going into the season. I've watched the spring game (2015) several times and this offense is better in every way...yes I know, it's only a spring game, but the players still have to block, run, throw and catch. I think that many areas of this team look much improved and there is depth on offense, everywhere but TE. Watch the video you'll see across the board improvement.
I tend to agree, but my eyes told me that when Blough ran the offense, the offense was much more potent than when Appleby ran it. People keep commenting that Appleby played against the 1st team defense more, but to me it seemed he struggled against both the 1st and 2nd team defenses. Maybe Appleby had a bad day. Etling looked flat bad. On some of those plays where Blough scrambled for first downs and the late TD pass he threw to Yancey were real beauties. had Blough's team used him more in the second half instead of Etling, Blough's team would have won that game, I believe.

Prior to 2013 season, there was a fair amount of talk with the media that Purdue would be competitive.

Yeah there was. A lot of it talked about how they could build on what was there. No one called the roster empty or rebuild at that point. We were getting promised a more physical disciplined team.

2014 we were told we'd be much improved. We actually were.

Sure. They werent constantly blowing assignments and struggling to organize players. I see your point, but no longer being way terrible doesnt do much for me. I get that its in the context of believing what your told. They still struggled heavily with a lot of stuff other teams do in the offseason. Those actions are louder.

He definitely was served a couple helpings of humble pie during last season. Woke him up

Thats great and all, but its July. Im being harsh here cause I dont know the young man, but I have very little trust in him to keep his edge when the chips are down. Sure this could be a turning point for him and his work ethic could excel. Changing internal behavior is difficult. Look at long term weight loss statistics for example. Something like 95% of people regain lost weight. Lets let the season play out before we count on him as 'back'.

Yes every team deals with injuries. This is where depth comes in. Teams that have more depth and talent can sustain. However when you don't have the depth or talent losing someone like Anthrop is huge. Hell we basically were playing with four offensive lineman the last two years. It's all relative. Not everything is on an equal playing field.
So is this another blame it all on Hope thing like BMB often does? I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like Anthrop, but it says a lot when he is your primary (headline) WR. We absolutely need Yancey, Marshall, Posey, Phillips, Hart, Young, and Mahoungou to step it up. Someone like Yancey SHOULD be your primary (headline) WR. He's got a ton of talent, as he showed flashes of in that catch against ND in the endzone and the long, over-the-shoulder catch vs. Nebraska.

Yeah there was. A lot of it talked about how they could build on what was there. No one called the roster empty or rebuild at that point. We were getting promised a more physical disciplined team.

Sure. They werent constantly blowing assignments and struggling to organize players. I see your point, but no longer being way terrible doesnt do much for me. I get that its in the context of believing what your told. They still struggled heavily with a lot of stuff other teams do in the offseason. Those actions are louder.

Thats great and all, but its July. Im being harsh here cause I dont know the young man, but I have very little trust in him to keep his edge when the chips are down. Sure this could be a turning point for him and his work ethic could excel. Changing internal behavior is difficult. Look at long term weight loss statistics for example. Something like 95% of people regain lost weight. Lets let the season play out before we count on him as 'back'.

Dude you have to argue about everything is that in your nature?

Yancey has even changed his body. He's been working hard in the weight room etc. Good athletes take turmoil and turn it into fuel and motivation. He's done that. And btw I'm not referring to GBI posts. First hand accounts are what I'm referencing from people that train with him.

Were you an athlete in high school or anything. I'm honestly curious?

So is this another blame it all on Hope thing like BMB often does? I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like Anthrop, but it says a lot when he is your primary (headline) WR. We absolutely need Yancey, Marshall, Posey, Phillips, Hart, Young, and Mahoungou to step it up. Someone like Yancey SHOULD be your primary (headline) WR. He's got a ton of talent, as he showed flashes of in that catch against ND in the endzone and the long, over-the-shoulder catch vs. Nebraska.

Umm who would you lIke to blame the lack of depth on? Joe Tiller?? It's not fair to blame Hope for everything. But my God, he was fired for a reason. He was the head of the program for 4 years

Dude you have to argue about everything is that in your nature?
Haha, I get that alot. My best guess is that I’m more analytical(other's words not mine) than most so I just argue things until they are directly acknowledged or something of that nature. It doesn’t look that way from my end, but when I dig into similar conversations with friends and family they have to remind me 'most people don’t think like that'.

From my perspective my point has always been, 'it’s the offseason of course they think they are doing a good job' for more than a few posts now. So maybe someone is saying, 'yes, every team ever is confident in the offseason, but I think this is different because of x, y, and z', and I’m not getting it. I mean Dan Dierking was walking rose bowl his junior or senior year. And all Im getting out of these posts is, 'no really, hes trying now'

Were you an athlete in high school or anything. I'm honestly curious?

Lots of pick up sports. I couldnt handle the cliques/drama of my high school. Spending more time there sounded insane.

Ironically, I did return to high school to coach for a while. I would love to do it again in the future when I’m fully credentialed.

Yancey has even changed his body. He's been working hard in the weight room etc. Good athletes take turmoil and turn it into fuel and motivation. He's done that. And btw I'm not referring to GBI posts. First hand accounts are what I'm referencing from people that train with him.

Thats awesome. his potential is off the charts. Hes a great example of how I feel about this team. I fully expect them to cave after getting punched in the mouth like they did last year after a few close losses or mail in effort after a good win. Its nothing personal. Its just what watching the last 3-5 years of Purdue football has be believing what will happen.

JC player Young will be there this fall, and we have Posey (who was great in the spring game), Monteroso and Norwood. We have plenty of guys to throw the ball to.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Haha, I get that alot. My best guess is that I’m more analytical(other's words not mine) than most so I just argue things until they are directly acknowledged or something of that nature. It doesn’t look that way from my end, but when I dig into similar conversations with friends and family they have to remind me 'most people don’t think like that'.

From my perspective my point has always been, 'it’s the offseason of course they think they are doing a good job' for more than a few posts now. So maybe someone is saying, 'yes, every team ever is confident in the offseason, but I think this is different because of x, y, and z', and I’m not getting it. I mean Dan Dierking was walking rose bowl his junior or senior year. And all Im getting out of these posts is, 'no really, hes trying now'

boiler17, I'll give you this--your points of view are stated clearly and concisely and explain where you are coming from. It's a challenge to post the opposing point of view to a guy who spells out the other side as clearly as you. It's also clear that you aren't just a negative guy, but instead a guy who is not sold on this team yet.

Lts of pick up sports. I couldnt handle the cliques/drama of my high school. Spending more time there sounded insane.

Ironically, I did return to high school to coach for a while. I would love to do it again in the future when I’m fully credentialed.

Thats awesome. his potential is off the charts. Hes a great example of how I feel about this team. I fully expect them to cave after getting punched in the mouth like they did last year after a few close losses or mail in effort after a good win. Its nothing personal. Its just what watching the last 3-5 years of Purdue football has be believing what will happen.

boiler17, I'll give you this--your points of view are stated clearly and concisely and explain where you are coming from. It's a challenge to post the opposing point of view to a guy who spells out the other side as clearly as you. It's also clear that you aren't just a negative guy, but instead a guy who is not sold on this team yet.

Thanks! I started posting here an an exercise to do exactly that since professional email communication in the insurance industry is a key skill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT