ADVERTISEMENT

How much of it’s talent?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I can’t believe we have that much of a talent deficit to the point where we’re not even competitive.
Granted, we don’t have Bama, ND or Texas talent, but we’re not a MAC level either.
In my opinion, it’s a lot of scheme and just not having guys ready or in position or maximizing what they do well while minimizing what they don’t.

I can’t believe we have that much of a talent deficit to the point where we’re not even competitive.
Granted, we don’t have Bama, ND or Texas talent, but we’re not a MAC level either.
In my opinion, it’s a lot of scheme and just not having guys ready or in position or maximizing what they do well while minimizing what they don’t.
Pretty wide gap last night but on the whole no…there were 8 teams in Thais schedule we should beat or compete with.

Reactions: Bippus33
It is definitely coaching, but it is also definitely a talent deficit. That game last night showed both. Yes, they only beat us by 35, but it could have been so much worse.

We have no pass rushers. Their QB could have written a book out there last night. Their WRs had so much more speed and athletic ability than our secondary. Their DL had Browne running for his life all last night. Our WRs are the worst WR group in the BT. That is why we run the ball so much, because our OL is so porous and the WRs cannot create separation, catch the ball, come back to the ball to help the QB, etc.

The only positive on this team is that Mock and Love had looked good at times, because of the lack of WRs. Browne could be good, if he could get a line to help him out and a couple of WRs to catch the ball.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Maybe not that many but we sure as hell wouldn’t get blown out every game.

We need a coach who can do more with less rather than less with less.
For the record I am including a bowl game, this is an absolutely brutal schedule. Though, between our idiotic non con scheduling and no conference divisions, these types of schedules are going to be a lot more common.

Maybe not that many but we sure as hell wouldn’t get blown out every game.

We need a coach who can do more with less rather than less with less.
I hate the ‘do more with less’ philosophy. These kids are all high level athletes. It’s the coaches job to scheme a plan to neutralize the other teams advantages, which is usually just speed.
I watched a high school sophomore QB last night that will be a major high level P5 dual threat. But, he’ll go SEC.

Reactions: NVboiler
it's not about talent. It's about the development of that talent. when first recruited out of high school, the talent level was close to being equal. the problem is Purdue never develops any of the talent it recruits.

look at Moore and george K. how much did either player develop after they arrived at Purdue ? were they better their last year at Purdue verses their first year ? How much has Hartwig developed ? he started as a freshman. has ay player that redshirted actually improved and benefitted for being redshirted ?

Purdue has not really developed anybody in over a decade. Look at how many 4 star athletes Purdue recruited that were total busts. It's not because they were over hyped. it's because Purdue never developed their talent.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
We definitely have a talent deficit relative to just about every team in the B1G. I don’t believe there is a guy from the front 7 of our defense who would start on any other team in the league. They are really bad, each and every one of them. On offense, 3 of the 5 OL are awful and there is not one playmaker at WR.

I think we lose because of talent and we get humiliated because the coaching staff doesn’t know what they’re doing. This should be a 4-5 win team IMO but they’re going to get 2 max due to coaching.

We definitely have a talent deficit relative to just about every team in the B1G. I don’t believe there is a guy from the front 7 of our defense who would start on any other team in the league. They are really bad, each and every one of them. On offense, 3 of the 5 OL are awful and there is not one playmaker at WR.

I think we lose because of talent and we get humiliated because the coaching staff doesn’t know what they’re doing. This should be a 4-5 win team IMO but they’re going to get 2 max due to coaching.
I gotta disagree. I think most of our DL was well recruited by other P5 schools. For example. Brevard was at PSU. He’s high level.
I still would love to see a player by player position comparison between Purdue and say, MSU.
Height, weight, 40 time, 225 res, shuttle run, etc. I bet the Purdue roster is very similar in those measurablea to most other B10 teams.

I gotta disagree. I think most of our DL was well recruited by other P5 schools. For example. Brevard was at PSU. He’s high level.
That means nothing. We have 4 highly recruited Georgia transfers who have done next to zilch.

Penn State and Georgia recruit some busts too..

Another decommit today so talent and depth will only get worse. And I'm sure several others will be putting their names in the portal if we keep this staff. I'm not sure we'll even have enough players to field a team if we don't fire Walters.

Another decommit today so talent and depth will only get worse. And I'm sure several others will be putting their names in the portal if we keep this staff. I'm not sure we'll even have enough players to field a team if we don't fire Walters.
Our only hope is to hire a successful coach from a mid-level like James Mad who will bring a team with him.

Walters is done. Not only did he accomplish the once thought impossible feat of being worse than hazel, there’s a ton of smoke about stuff he’s been doing off the field as well. Some of his assistant coaches have been an embarrassment as well off the field according to comments I’ve read on gbi. I would guess we’ve been sending feelers out to potential coaches.

We are mac level at a lot more places than you think. If you look at pff grades, and you didn’t know anything about the guys on the DL for example, you’d predict that they’d get about as much penetration as they’ve gotten. None.

Anderson
Mba
Yanni
Stevens
Alisandro
Green
Moussa
Wingfield
Tibbs
Rigby

At the very least would only be good starters in g5

Pboiler will read the above and decide that that says “Walters is really good.” He’s not. But that doesn’t mean the next coach is going to come in here and get something out of Yanni if he has eligibility. Yanni’s only big offer was Wisconsin at fullback. When commitable offers went out

Walters is done. Not only did he accomplish the once thought impossible feat of being worse than hazel, there’s a ton of smoke about stuff he’s been doing off the field as well. Some of his assistant coaches have been an embarrassment as well off the field according to comments I’ve read on gbi. I would guess we’ve been sending feelers out to potential coaches.
Tell us more about off field embarrassments. What are you hearing?

I still would love to see a player by player position comparison between Purdue and say, MSU.
Height, weight, 40 time, 225 res, shuttle run, etc. I bet the Purdue roster is very similar in those measurablea to most other B10
Of course some of them have the measurables. M’ba looks like he should be on the Chicago Bears. Leland Smith physically looks like if you programmed a machine to produce the perfect WR that’s what it would spit out. You still gotta be able to play, and these dudes can’t. You do not want to know what Yanni’s 40 time is btw 🤣

Tell us more about off field embarrassments. What are you hearing?
I’ve read about the assistant coaches acting very immature when they first got here. No specifics really. Harrell I read was messing with co eds and walters with a staff member. I’m sure the people that are in the know will come out with all of it after everyone’s fired. I’m not connected whatsoever, just stuff I’ve read on gbi.

We are mac level at a lot more places than you think. If you look at pff grades, and you didn’t know anything about the guys on the DL for example, you’d predict that they’d get about as much penetration as they’ve gotten. None.

Anderson
Mba
Yanni
Stevens
Alisandro
Green
Moussa
Wingfield
Tibbs
Rigby

At the very least would only be good starters in g5

Pboiler will read the above and decide that that says “Walters is really good.” He’s not. But that doesn’t mean the next coach is going to come in here and get something out of Yanni if he has eligibility. Yanni’s only big offer was Wisconsin at fullback. When commitable offers went out
Yanni had offers from Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Michigan and Notre Dame as well. Pretty sure he was rated a 4* recruit. Now, he failed to live up to that potential, but to say his only other big offer was Wisconsin at fullback is a blatant lie. IU seems to be doing fine with guys that were only good starters in G5 before they followed their competent coach to IU.

Of course some of them have the measurables. M’ba looks like he should be on the Chicago Bears. Leland Smith physically looks like if you programmed a machine to produce the perfect WR that’s what it would spit out. You still gotta be able to play, and these dudes can’t. You do not want to know what Yanni’s 40 time is btw 🤣
That’s my point: the guys have the physical tools, size and speed. It could be that they’re just not good at football. But that still seems like a coaching/scheme issue, not talent.
As for Yanni, wasn’t there some weird circumstance that forced him into a starting role?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT