ADVERTISEMENT

How is George Karlaftis?

He was walking on the sidelines, so unless we have a group of morons running things I think he’s probably not out for the year or a long time

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Looked like an ankle. Will probably know more the next day , or so. Depends on swelling. Big Question is Grant ok? Almost looked like a possible shoulder injury. He showed today why we need him in for Ole number 38. He was totally owned again out there today !!!

Looked like an ankle. Will probably know more the next day , or so. Depends on swelling. Big Question is Grant ok? Almost looked like a possible shoulder injury. He showed today why we need him in for Ole number 38. He was totally owned again out there today !!!

Just not a big ten player

Reactions: JRowdy20
Saw Grant got banged up a bit, but didnt think too much of it. Is there some word out that it may be serious?

Last edited:
Any Updates??? We need Karlaftis if we are going to get to the next level this year! Any updates on Rondale? Still hoping to see Bell and Moore on the field at the same time. That would be exciting!

I seem to remember people saying that about #40 last year!

I didn’t think he was at the time. As it stands I think he’s a really good number two who just finished three games against bad defenses. He’s gotten better and teams can’t exploit him.

38 is NOT 40 by a long shot ... not even close.

I didn’t think he was at the time. As it stands I think he’s a really good number two who just finished three games against bad defenses. He’s gotten better and teams can’t exploit him.

38 is NOT 40 by a long shot ... not even close.

Of course that's not my point. There were posters who said "we've got a walk-on carrying the ball - shesh - he's not big Ten caliber!"

As a coach of over 15 years, there are certain intangibles that players bring to the table. Both 38 and his brother (at least in the minds of the coaches) lead the defense and make the calls.

Most gifted defenders? Maybe not.

Best players to have on the field? According to the coaches, at this point - yes.

Personally, I'll trust the coaches who see them in practice, in the weight room, at the training table and in the meetings!

Finally, I have this aversion to people who 'dis' any of our players!

Of course that's not my point. There were posters who said "we've got a walk-on carrying the ball - shesh - he's not big Ten caliber!"

As a coach of over 15 years, there are certain intangibles that players bring to the table. Both 38 and his brother (at least in the minds of the coaches) lead the defense and make the calls.

Best players to have on the field? According to the coaches, at this point - yes.

Personally, I'll trust the coaches who see them in practice, in the weight room, at the training table and in the meetings!

I really don’t care if you like me or not. I’d prefer you didn’t? You seem painfully unaware that there’s a difference between dissing a person as a person and dissing their performance. My kid brother is a nice guy.. he’s not a legitimate big ten safety either.

And sometimes coaches believe in a player and opposing coaches make them pay through the nose.

38 is not Jake. Not even close. Coaches should be working very hard to get Marvin grant, TJ Sheffield and Gus hartwig up to speed as fast as possible.

And I don’t even need Marvin to be a superstar... since Ralph turner left .. save the one year of Stu and pollard, id be overjoyed to have two safeties neither of whom play worse than turner ... and turner was hardly a star.

They’ll need Marvin when Ramsey is out there able to expose defenders in space not only passing the ball but running it

Ditto Martinez and penix. And if you don’t think so.. we will talk.

I bet some talented kids missed out on opportunities under your watch because you liked some other kids intangibles... or probably just liked them as a person

Thank you for pointing this out. Sparks is one that often falls into this category. While I agree it is frustrating when he drops catchable passes, he is a willing blocker and does well setting up other receivers. For comparison - Anderson is a willing blocker, but given his size he often loses these battles. For those reading this that need examples, you could see textbook cases of both in the Iowa game.

Thank you for pointing this out. Sparks is one that often falls into this category. While I agree it is frustrating when he drops catchable passes, he is a willing blocker and does well setting up other receivers. For comparison - Anderson is a willing blocker, but given his size he often loses these battles. For those reading this that need examples, you could see textbook cases of both in the Iowa game.
Sparks is a good blocker. But we have talent that can block and actually catch the ball when it's thrown to them. If I were Brohm or O'Connell, I'd never trust Sparks in a critical role again.

People need to get off Sparks' jock about that drop. It was catchable, but I remember when Tiller's teams would have 8 or 9 of those per game like it was nothing. We've become spoiled by the likes of David and Rondale catching everything. For a converted 2* QB who had no business as a starting WR in the Big Ten, he has settled into a nice reserve role and brings some things to the table at 215 lb.

People need to get off Sparks' jock about that drop. It was catchable, but I remember when Tiller's teams would have 8 or 9 of those per game like it was nothing. We've become spoiled by the likes of David and Rondale catching everything. For a converted 2* QB who had no business as a starting WR in the Big Ten, he has settled into a nice reserve role and brings some things to the table at 215 lb.

Admit it.. there was a time you thought he would be good with no rational basis for thinking that

Admit it.. there was a time you thought he would be good with no rational basis for thinking that
Compared to what we had in the Hazell years, yeah he could have been good. Compared to the talent Brohm brought in, no chance of seeing the field for more than a few snaps.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I don't think they're getting into Sparks "jock" for just that drop. He hasn't been able to effectively catch passes for the past couple of seasons. Again, he's probably a good blocker, but we have much better talent that should be on the field in crunch time.

I don't think they're getting into Sparks "jock" for just that drop. He hasn't been able to effectively catch passes for the past couple of seasons. Again, he's probably a good blocker, but we have much better talent that should be on the field in crunch time.

Not only that but he’s not that fast either.

But more so it was the way some people insisted he’d be good and when you asked “based on what,” they’d flip out

Not sure I ever had high expectations for Sparks. Maybe a slightly better version of Bilal Marshall if you consider that good. When he was getting passed by JuCos the writing was on the wall.

Not sure I ever had high expectations for Sparks. Maybe a slightly better version of Bilal Marshall if you consider that good. When he was getting passed by JuCos the writing was on the wall.

Going forward I will assume you are correct about most things

At that particular point they were protecting a 14 point lead and trying to run clock. I believe there was still over 10 minutes left in the game and they were simply going through normal substitution patterns. It was 2nd down. Not sure what constitutes any of that as crunch time. In "crunch time" at the end it was Bell, Wright, and Anderson on the field as it should be.

Reactions: Riveting
Ok I guess if that floats your boat.. not really what I was going for. Just think you picked the wrong guy. I was here 2 years ago saying Sparks was going to get passed over immediately by Bell and the other youngsters. But now I guess I am defending him also because I respect him for sticking with his role.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/next-year-wrs.158577/#post-1975635

I don’t think he deserves to be called someone who doesn’t stick with things or play his role. He just isn’t very talented. He’s a gamer...

By the way I’d hardly say sparks pissed me off. That was a huge drop and other guys should get their opportunity

When I think pissed off im thinking the lapse by Alfred. You can’t be a walk-on and be costing the team like that. Last year when you had Horvath and true freshmen? Ok. This year? Ehh

Sparks is a good blocker. But we have talent that can block and actually catch the ball when it's thrown to them. If I were Brohm or O'Connell, I'd never trust Sparks in a critical role again.
I sort of agree. I would like to see how Rice and Carr hold their own in the BIG, but we will have to wait until they get back from injury.

Right. You see the same thing in the backfield. The guys that practice consistently are dependable, like Horvath. I think we would all like to see King and Hewitt get some room to operate, but unfortunately injuries are part of the game. I will never argue against the fact we have more talent on the outside over Sparks, but those guys that can exceed his skillset need to stay off the injury pine.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
Right. You see the same thing in the backfield. The guys that practice consistently are dependable, like Horvath. I think we would all like to see King and Hewitt get some room to operate, but unfortunately injuries are part of the game. I will never argue against the fact we have more talent on the outside over Sparks, but those guys that can exceed his skillset need to stay off the injury pine.
Brohm sounded frustrated with Rice's lack of availability in the recent interview. Almost came across as questioning his toughness or willingness to play through a minor injury. As they say, one of the best abilities to a coach is AVAILability.

Brohm sounded frustrated with Rice's lack of availability in the recent interview. Almost came across as questioning his toughness or willingness to play through a minor injury. As they say, one of the best abilities to a coach is AVAILability.

That said I’ve seen Collin Sullivan (not from the departed) and yaseen dressed on the sidelines

Wouldn’t mind it if I saw them. Brohm likes to protect the bottom line more than push the top line. If Brian was making more decisions I feel like we would be pushing the envelope

I really don’t care if you like me or not. I’d prefer you didn’t? You seem painfully unaware that there’s a difference between dissing a person as a person and dissing their performance. My kid brother is a nice guy.. he’s not a legitimate big ten safety either.

And sometimes coaches believe in a player and opposing coaches make them pay through the nose.

38 is not Jake. Not even close. Coaches should be working very hard to get Marvin grant, TJ Sheffield and Gus hartwig up to speed as fast as possible.

And I don’t even need Marvin to be a superstar... since Ralph turner left .. save the one year of Stu and pollard, id be overjoyed to have two safeties neither of whom play worse than turner ... and turner was hardly a star.

They’ll need Marvin when Ramsey is out there able to expose defenders in space not only passing the ball but running it

I bet some talented kids missed out on opportunities under your watch because you liked some other kids intangibles... or probably just liked them as a person

I'll take the 80% winning percentage over the years without "dissing any kid's performance."

If I had a discussion with a player about how he performed, it was NEVER in public! And I never said "you can't play at this level" (and believe me, I had kids who were overmatched, but they still got a chance).

Finally, no kid who ever worked hard was overlooked.

You prefer that I didn't like you . . . . interesting!

I hated to see that drop! With a catch, we probably essentially end the game with a score (and more time off the board).

But once again, we will defer to the coaches. What other aspects of his game can we appreciate? He's made some outstanding blocks over the years.

BTW, his 'catch' against Missouri (when we settled for a FG and tie) was outstanding!

Ralph Turner? Not a star?

Ralph Turner was an exceptional player. He was a co-captain and a borderline NFL player (I don't think he really played meaningful time in the NFL).

If memory serves, he was a HS QB, came in with 4.5 speed, in training camp his FR year was asked to move from WR to defense, and earned PT.

Ralph Turner? Not a star?

Ralph Turner was an exceptional player. He was a co-captain and a borderline NFL player (I don't think he really played meaningful time in the NFL).

If memory serves, he was a HS QB, came in with 4.5 speed, in training camp his FR year was asked to move from WR to defense, and earned PT.

Yeh boy. He was a good player. Way way north of thienemanns

Reactions: Roeder
What’s the story with rice
Rice got hurt early in training camp last year and was redshirted. We could have used him if healthy, because our WRs were going down like flies at the end of last year. This year was having a great camp, according to Brohm, and got hurt toward the end. No additional details of the type of injury or if or when he could be available this season.

With his size and match up problem, I would like to hear an update on Carr. He looked good against Iowa on a couple of plays. He looked like he rolled an ankle on the play he was hobbling off on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT