ADVERTISEMENT

how good would this team be with brey coaching?

Mar 9, 2004
Does Brey get the best out of that team or what? No depth no heighth and a couple of YMCA kids. When was the last time we saw a kid from Purdue play his heart out?. Not this year. Look at the kids we have and tell me we can't be better. This was a great chance to be a great year. A great mixture of experience and youth unbelievably great heighth and a deep bench. 4 yrs of AJ and we'll be lucky as he'll so see sweet 16. I'm not a naysayer just speaking the truth.

Does Brey get the best out of that team or what? No depth no heighth and a couple of YMCA kids. When was the last time we saw a kid from Purdue play his heart out?. Not this year. Look at the kids we have and tell me we can't be better. This was a great chance to be a great year. A great mixture of experience and youth unbelievably great heighth and a deep bench. 4 yrs of AJ and we'll be lucky as he'll so see sweet 16. I'm not a naysayer just speaking the truth.
While I agree with most of this and am not a CMP fan, I don't think much of Mike Brey either. I will love and follow Purdue no matter who the coach is, but I can think of a lot more coaches I'd rather have that Purdue could get than Mike Brey or CMP

Hum, another low message count poster suggesting that our in state rival has a better coach. Makes you think about the sincerity of this post, doesn't it?

:cool:
While he probably is a troll, I do think his point is valid about this team underachieving this year. With the talent we have, I do think this team should be much better. I still have hope that this team will peak in March when it counts.

Reactions: BTFU22
While he probably is a troll, I do think his point is valid about this team underachieving this year. With the talent we have, I do think this team should be much better. I still have hope that this team will peak in March when it counts.
When you talk about the talent we have, do you mean the 3 & 4 star guys we have starting? I think Biggie is our only 5 star. Maryland has about 3-4 5 star guys, including Suliman, who is an upper classman, and former starting guard on the FF DUke team. Stone and Trimble are both Burger ABoys IIRC. Not sure why you would think we are underachieving based on this talent assessment, but okay. I would say don't get too caught up in the idea that somehow we have a team of world beaters when announcers talk about how "big we are". This is a team game, and Hammons can only do so much.

When you talk about the talent we have, do you mean the 3 & 4 star guys we have starting? I think Biggie is our only 5 star. Maryland has about 3-4 5 star guys, including Suliman, who is an upper classman, and former starting guard on the FF DUke team. Stone and Trimble are both Burger ABoys IIRC. Not sure why you would think we are underachieving based on this talent assessment, but okay. I would say don't get too caught up in the idea that somehow we have a team of world beaters when announcers talk about how "big we are". This is a team game, and Hammons can only do so much.

You're attempting to have a reasonable conversation with a person who thinks Kendall is a good shooter.

Reactions: Cleanface

I take * rankings with a grain of salt. IU has 3 or 4 5 stars also and I think we are more talented then them. I would take Vince every day of the week over a Blackmon. If you think we should be losing to teams like Illinois, Butler and even blowing a 17 pt lead at home to Iowa, then that's your opinion. I think we are better than that. I could take a loss to Maryland, if it wasn't the same pattern as the other losses. That game was there for the taking and we let it get away.

I take * rankings with a grain of salt. IU has 3 or 4 5 stars also and I think we are more talented then them. I would take Vince every day of the week over a Blackmon. If you think we should be losing to teams like Illinois, Butler and even blowing a 17 pt lead at home to Iowa, then that's your opinion. I think we are better than that. I could take a loss to Maryland, if it wasn't the same pattern as the other losses. That game was there for the taking and we let it get away.
You and I are closer to agreement than disagreement. Let me start with that first. I think the Iowa loss at homw was one of those games when the other team hits 11/13 contested 3-pt shots, there is not much you can do. No excuse for the Ill game, but those happen with college kids.

I have lived in the South Bend area for as long as Mike Brey has been coach at Notre Dame. Do you want to know something? Notre Dame has let Brey work through alot of "mediocrity" to get to where their program is today.

Notre Dame went to the NIT in Brey's 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons at Notre Dame. They were again an NIT team in his 9th season and didn't make the postseason at all in year 14.

In 10 NCAA appearances, they lost in the first game 4 times and the second game another 4 times. They've made it to the Sweet Sixteen twice and didn't advance past that until last year in his 15th season.

So if you like Mike Brey, I don't think you should be all that disappointed in what Painter has done to date. It's actually very similar especially considering Brey has been at Notre Dame 5 years longer. Bo Ryan also took 13 years at Wisconsin to get to a Final Four.

Most of us feel Coach Painter had put together a Final Four team before Hummel got injured and that was in his first 5-6 seasons at Purdue. The program slipped after that but he seems to have recovered to the point where some people actually are disappointed in a 19-5 top 25 team in February. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure as hell willing to wait and see what the next 5 years has in store for us. Keep in mind that almost nobody in college basketball had us in their top 10 in the preseason and most projections didn't have us in the top 3 in the Big Ten. What we're doing this season, we're doing without dynamic guard play.

At the end of the day I'm a little disappointed on some of the opportunities we've let slip this year too but let's take a step back and realize that we are disappointed because we are operating in the top level of college basketball and to this point have been on the wrong end on a razor-thin margin of error that is separating teams 15-25 this season from teams 1-10. All in all, it's not a bad place to be in and everything is still on the table when it comes to March.

One final thought as I attended the UNC/ND game Saturday night. During the first half when UNC was building a 15 pt lead on ND primarily by pounding them on the interior and on the boards, I was thinking to myself that UNC (#2 in the country last week) could be in trouble if they faced a team that could control their post players and out rebound them. Can you guess who I thought of first?

Brey. I think you spelled it wrong. It's Bray and it's the sound a donkey makes. BTW. You gone.

I have lived in the South Bend area for as long as Mike Brey has been coach at Notre Dame. Do you want to know something? Notre Dame has let Brey work through alot of "mediocrity" to get to where their program is today.
This made me laugh.... They are still mediocre.

This made me laugh.... They are still mediocre.

True but last season they were legitimately very good. I was just a little stunned to see someone pick him out as a coach we would rather have coaching this team.

True but last season they were legitimately very good. I was just a little stunned to see someone pick him out as a coach we would rather have coaching this team.
he's been okay, as has CMP. If Purdue fired CMP & hired Brey, I wouldn't be real excited about it... & I'm not a CMP supporter.

Brey has done a reasonable job at ND. Let's give credit where due. I don't think his accomplishments are significantly different than Painters at this point. We can look at ND as a good example of how a program imporves. It is done gradually, a player at thime. It is not linear. Each year doesn't get better than the last by any means. You don't get to the FF every year once you acheive it once. The season is filled with bumps and valleys.

Bottiom line: Don't want Brey here.

Reactions: chaspark
Well...we would have blown a huge lead to Tommy Cream in the Crossroads. Lost to Monmouth..u know the team with the cool bench. Lost to Alabama, Pitt @ home...didn't Painter beat Pitt??? Gotten abused by one of the most mediocre Orange teams in many years...

Now step back from your computer/phone and stop with this how good/what if crap.

Does Brey get the best out of that team or what? No depth no heighth and a couple of YMCA kids. When was the last time we saw a kid from Purdue play his heart out?. Not this year. Look at the kids we have and tell me we can't be better. This was a great chance to be a great year. A great mixture of experience and youth unbelievably great heighth and a deep bench. 4 yrs of AJ and we'll be lucky as he'll so see sweet 16. I'm not a naysayer just speaking the truth.[/QUOT

Give me the tan man.

You guys can't be serious

I am pretty sure that Chris Kramer play his heart out every time he went out us
I totally agree with the Kramer reference.my favorite Kramer moment was when in the Maui he missed a layup and was so pissrd off he sprinted back on d and slid on the floor to knock the ball away.

Do you think that he has a Commie flag on the wall inside of his garage ?
No unfortunately no commie flag just a good old red white and blue. Love it when I get called a troll. Pretty sure I could hold my own with anybody on here with purdue knowledge. I unfortunately love this program for over 40 yrs. Went through ball camp every year as a youngster and just fell for the program. Nothing broke my heart more than when Jerry missed that sideline jumper in 79. He showed up at camp every year and was a he'll of a guy. Those 1 week camps showed me how basketball should be played. So I thank Fred.Lee and Gene with their great staffs. So go ahead and call me a troll.

No unfortunately no commie flag just a good old red white and blue. Love it when I get called a troll. Pretty sure I could hold my own with anybody on here with purdue knowledge. I unfortunately love this program for over 40 yrs. Went through ball camp every year as a youngster and just fell for the program. Nothing broke my heart more than when Jerry missed that sideline jumper in 79. He showed up at camp every year and was a he'll of a guy. Those 1 week camps showed me how basketball should be played. So I thank Fred.Lee and Gene with their great staffs. So go ahead and call me a troll.
Yeah, since you have a life & not a gazillion posts you may be labeled a troll, or worse yet, people may put you on ignore (GASP!!). Personally, after reading your post I immediately thought Al Queda operative this one is.

I have become highly suspicious of posters with low message counts that propose odd things, like how good our ND rivals coach seems to be. After the influx of trolls we suffered last year, you will pardon me if I have suspicions. If you really are a boilermaker, welcome.

Reactions: punaj
Mike Brey has been a consistently solid coach, no question about it. He usually gets the most out of his guys, and he's done well in two tough basketball leagues.

That said, his NCAA success has mostly paralleled Purdue's. I don't think he's really better than Keady or Painter. Maybe his low points haven't been as low, but his ceiling seems to be about the same.

I totally agree with the Kramer reference.my favorite Kramer moment was when in the Maui he missed a layup and was so pissrd off he sprinted back on d and slid on the floor to knock the ball away.

Wasn't that in Puerto Rico? Against Tennessee?

Um, Brey has a pretty damn good roster. The starting five were all pretty highly recruited. They have depth, too. Depending on what recruiting site you look at - the entire starting five were four star guys. Jackson was a McDonald's All-American and really a five star talent. First two guys off the bench are four star kids. One being one of the top players out of California and the other being Mr. New York. Brey typically does really well in the regular season, but has troubles in the post-season. Last year not being the norm, but that roster was really, really good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT