ADVERTISEMENT

How did Illinois beat Purdue

FLAG HUNTER

Junior
Oct 2, 2014
Watching the IU/Illinois game, how did Purdue lose to Illinois? Illinois looks awful, must have been one of those nights!

IU doesn't look very good tonight either, I guess I started watching when IU went on a run and Illinois looked really bad, I probably shouldn't have posted this, but still think Illinois is not a good team

Watching the IU/Illinois game, how did Purdue lose to Illinois? Illinois looks awful, must have been one of those nights!
I didn't see the Purdue/Illinois game so I can't speak to your question, but with respect to IU/Illinois game... this was going to be an uphill battle for IL from the start. They are a very perimeter-oriented team with only 1 true post player and a style not unlike IU's; however IU is as-good or better at nearly every position (Nunn might be the exception, especially given that Johnson sat with an ankle injury). In that sense, IL's best bet for this game was to channel some inner-anger and gumption in retaliation for the curb-stomping they received in Bloomington. But after a solid first half, their jumpshots didn't fall right away in the second and they got ran out of their building.

To the point from @Cleanface, I posed that exact same question to a friend of mine before the season even started. It seems like Groce has reasonable talent each year, but they are far and away the most undisciplined team in the B1G on the offensive end (re: shot selection).

Last edited:
More accurate answer, the refs. They would not allow us to play defense. In the past now, don't want to relive this one anymore anyway.

I could ask the same of how Maryland got beat at Minnesota and arguably Maryland is better than Purdue and Illinois is better than Minnesota. On the road, in the B1G...anything can happen if you don't bring your best game. If Purdue played their away games like they did against Rutgers, Purdue wouldn't have lost to Illinois.

I could ask the same of how Maryland got beat at Minnesota and arguably Maryland is better than Purdue and Illinois is better than Minnesota. On the road, in the B1G...anything can happen if you don't bring your best game. If Purdue played their away games like they did against Rutgers, Purdue wouldn't have lost to Illinois.

True, if we played Rutgers every week, we'd look a lot better.

Fact is, Illinois has one -- and only one -- win over a team with (currently) a winning record in Big Ten play, and that was our Champaign swoon.

We couldn't have played worse if we'd had the Beef House cater in at halftime.

True, if we played Rutgers every week, we'd look a lot better.

Fact is, Illinois has one -- and only one -- win over a team with (currently) a winning record in Big Ten play, and that was our Champaign swoon.

We couldn't have played worse if we'd had the Beef House cater in at halftime.
Ill guards hit a lot of big shots

I didn't see the Purdue/Illinois game so I can't speak to your question, but with respect to IU/Illinois game... this was going to be an uphill battle for IL from the start. They are a very perimeter-oriented team with only 1 true post player and a style not unlike IU's; however IU is as-good or better at nearly every position (Nunn might be the exception, especially given that Johnson sat with an ankle injury). In that sense, IL's best bet for this game was to channel some inner-anger and gumption in retaliation for the curb-stomping they received in Bloomington. But after a solid first half, their jumpshots didn't fall right away in the second and they got ran out of their building.

To the point from @Cleanface, I posed that exact same question to a friend of mine before the season even started. It seems like Groce has reasonable talent each year, but they are far and away the most undisciplined team in the B1G on the offensive end (re: shot selection).

I have a feeling Groce's stay in the B1G is probably going to be short lived from this point forward. He's had time to build his roster the way he wanted and they have an abundance of talent at the guard positions. With Hill, Nunn, and Coleman, there's really no excuse for their record. IU recruited two of those guys pretty heavily so I'm familiar with their skill sets. Most coaches in the league would be able to excel with that lineup at guard.

Groce may be responsible for their transfers/defections,
But in his defense for this season, they've been plagued pretty hard with injuries

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT