ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosier Take on Braden Smith

Apr 30, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Hoosier Take on Braden Smith

I watched him when he played against my school this year. Elite passing ability and can score whenever he wants.

He has flirted with a triple double a few times this year.

He's going to be a Hoosier.

He led his team in rebounds last year as a freshman PG and is only about 5'10. I wouldn't be surprised if he can dunk already (or soon will) even at his height.

I can guarantee he can dunk.

When IU offers...he will commit!

If Smith truly gets to 6-1 or taller, he will blow up.

IU has been contacting Braden weekly, as has a list of other schools, including the guys in W Laf. Braden hit a growth spurt this summer. He has grown 2 inches and is now over 6ft.

I just wish they would offer. Excited about this young man.

I am no talent scout but I can tell you we will not be disappointed if we land Smith. Do not let the rankings fool you. He has some things that many of the top PG prospects are lacking.

Still feel he is our first 22 committ . Can't imagine he would wait too long after getting the offer. Like a lot about this young man.

"Braden, we officially offer you a scholarship to play basketball at Indiana Univ - - "
"I accept."

Everyone knows the kid is a hard IU lean....but I like our approach. No reason to not set the tone early on with who is in charge. My guess is that when he's offered he might say yes faster than Hulls or Hartman...but he'll say yes quickly.

Personally, I'd rather have this kid than a higher ranked prospect who thinks college is just an audition for the NBA.

He is not 5'10 anymore, he is 6'1. He has also put on muscle and can dunk pretty easily now. Kid is flying under the radar nationally.

I want this kid candy stripes if not he will be a dagger in our hearts for 4 years. Not a thorn in the side dagger in heart!!

Smith is special and that's an understatement. I think CAM makes a huge mistake if this guy isn't wearing candy stripes. I don't think CAM makes a huge mistake.

Braden had 30/9/9 last night and Westfield won first conference title ever in 4A. I know why some coaches including IU aren't offering but man this kid can play. I'll be a fan wherever he ends up.

Love what I see of the kid...just don’t see B1G conference ability. Night in and out the toughest, most physical, talented conference in America. I think he will make an absolute great college player...but I don’t think he nor the team would be better off him coming here.

Michigan’s starting guards today were 5’11 and 6’1. I understand they have high quality bigs, but they get the job done.

37 points last night. 6/6 from 3. 7 assists. 6 rebounds.

I will lose all faith in Archie if this kid does not get an offer.

Sounds like a perfect IU player to me who is a hard nose bull dog.

41 points tonight in a sectional semi final win over Noblesville

We need a kid who can’t live with a loss to Purdue. We don’t have that right now, top down. Braden will bring that IMO. We are getting into no-brainer territory on this one.

I love his game and would have offered hi a scholarship on the spot. He plays with an edge that this team doesn't have. He is in your face eon the defensive end and makes it hard on the other team. He is a good shooter and has a lot of confidence in himself which is also needed with this team.

Gonzaga (yes, that Gonzaga) and Oregon have reached out after his sectional performance last week. Kid is gonna be a solid 4 year player for somebody...just hope it´s us.

Understand what you're saying. I think the P5 offers are going to come. If he ends up at Purdue, we're going to be upset for 4 years.

I have seen IU pass on a guy like this and then he will come back to haunt us. He is 6'1" and shoots 45.6% from 3. We need shooters and this is a guy that can shoot. I have seen him play and his court savvy males up for his lack of athleticism. This is why maybe we don't have those kind of Shooters at IU. It seems that IU needs this type but always seem to find reasons that he shouldn't be recruited. Braden Smith is a gamer he is a winner he loves IU he can shoot lights out ( no one on roster now like that) and he would bleed cream and crimson. I. All for adding this kid either by preferred Walk-on or even a scholarship. This may be why Indiana is not where we used to be because we feel we are to good for a kid like this. Maybe I am wrong but I feel he would be an asset and at least a spot up shooter we don't have now on our roster.

Hopefully IU doesn’t get screwed by waiting too long to offer.

If and when IU offers he will be a Hoosier shortly there after.

PG spot is getting crowded. I’d love Smith as a preferred walk-on possibly playing his way to a scholly after RP graduates.

We’ve got 16 pages of guys like me and Billingsley exhorting IU to get this guy. I stand by it and believe we will be vindicated. This is my kind of player. Whether he can start or not, I have no idea. But I want him in the locker room. He’s not going to be afraid playing on the road in the B1G. And that competitive attitude will spread through the whole roster. Especially with a 13 man scholly limit, we have room to get this kid.

Hopefully he is someone that Coach Woodson prioritizes, whoever he compares to lol.

I'm 100% sold on Braden Smith. I had no clue his numbers so good until yesterday and today. 22p 6a 5r 3s 55% from the field, 45% from 3, and 83% from the line. He's the guy.

Also to add to this stats he shot over 6 3s a game. So that 45% is legit.

Read where Smith was playing well this Spring...and has grown over 6' tall now..lot more athletic

He’s been 6’1 or slightly taller for a while. Plus he has a larger wingspan than his height.

I think with the new focus of the staff and their connections....they are on bigger fish.

That's the thing... Smith is the big fish.

I bet we take a good look. Matta is also working behind the scenes. He had Aaron Craft and knows how productive he was. I bet he makes a good evaluation on Braden and how his skill set translates to the B1G.

"Sources tell The Daily Hoosier that the remaining IU staff focused in on Smith, Gary’s Jalen Washington, and verbal commit C.J. Gunn when it came to the in-state class of 2022."

Stop and pop at will, quickness to drive to the lane, vision to pass to an open teammate and even have the IQ to step in the passing lane for a quick steal. 6-4 or 5-10 doesn't matter as long as you have this skillset correct? Anybody on our current roster with this resume? NOPE

Well, looks like Braden Smith is no longer without P5 offers....the PUkes just offered him. I'm not certain we'll have a 'ship for him, but this will be interesting to watch develop.

Ugh!

I'm hoping this will force our hand.

I will puke if this kid ends up a Toiletmaker!

One of the valuable things I see in someone like Braden Smith is it seems like he’s willing to go to IU and sit on the bench for a couple years without transferring.

I have only saw Smith a couple of times on TV but he reminds me of Aaron Craft but with a shot.

A junior Braden Smith put up similar numbers as a senior Kyle Guy who won Mr. Basketball and almost every IU fan wanted. Smith also had the higher 3 point percentage as well. The only big difference is a couple inches in height at most.

Smith really needs to be a Hoosier! Be a shame to see him go somewhere else.

I just don’t know basketball I guess because all I see is a winner and kid that would be a great 4 year guy. He is going to make a lucky team very happy and be a pain in Hoosiers side.

Just committed to Purdue!

They got a very good one. This kid and Washington were the 2 I wanted most. I will gladly eat my crow if he doesn't become a very very good player and I will be shocked if he does not light the Hoosiers up. I trust our staff but this was a big miss.

I guess Painter is locking up the state.

Wow....i hope this isn't a piss poor decision on IU'S part...Purdue is cleaning the state up of quality players...i don't care how good IU gets it is going to be tough playing at PU for years to come with all the State kids going there.

I saw a tweet he put out that said Boiler up, and I think I did cause I felt a little vomit in my mouth. I brushed my teeth though and am all better now!

Sucks.

I been an IU fan for 40 years and it pains me to see players of his caliber not be in candy stripes...imo he would have been a good addition...maybe i'm wrong....knowing that he is at PU bothers me...Painter has done well in the State lately.

This one looks like a mistake and we will be here for four years talking about it if it comes to fruition. I’m surprised Woody, Fife and Matta couldn’t connect the dots on this one.

I thought IU was his dream school?

Maybe he was told no offer was coming. Why not go to the program that has owned IU past 4 years and give them a close up look of what they misses. He will be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder especially against IU. I will compare it to a girl breaking your heart and then you hook up with her sister and also be sure that she hears you in the next room.

IU will be just fine without him. The blueprint is becoming more clear. IU is going big time again. The offer list so far is length. The latest being a 6'10" kid that can shoot. The guards are built like brick houses that can still do it all.

Purdue plays to win the state. IU plays to win the National Championship. Might help bringing in local kids in beating us in a rivalry game but I don’t see it helping them win a NC. I trust the staff to bring in nba talent to run their nba sets.

Amen! I don't care if Purdue sweeps us every year, as long as we are competing for National Titles or deep runs often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News