ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question Re: Painter, Brohm

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Since the Missouri drama, have there been any rumors about another school coming after Painter? Schools coming after Brohm is becoming an annual event. And the general thought is that as long as Purdue football is doing well, he will always be in the rumor mill.

So I am wondering why this wouldn’t be the case with Painter. They are essentially the same age, but Painter has a much stronger resume. Is it because we are believed to be more invested in basketball, and therefore competition sees us as stronger and more difficult to pry a coach away from? Is it Painter’s loyalty as an alum? Or is what Brohm has done with the football team thought to be more impressive than what Painter has done with the basketball team. Or is he getting courted but it is not made public for some reason. Thoughts?

Since the Missouri drama, have there been any rumors about another school coming after Painter? Schools coming after Brohm is becoming an annual event. And the general thought is that as long as Purdue football is doing well, he will always be in the rumor mill.

So I am wondering why this wouldn’t be the case with Painter. They are essentially the same age, but Painter has a much stronger resume. Is it because we are believed to be more invested in basketball, and therefore competition sees us as stronger and more difficult to pry a coach away from? Is it Painter’s loyalty as an alum? Or is what Brohm has done with the football team thought to be more impressive than what Painter has done with the basketball team. Or is he getting courted but it is not made public for some reason. Thoughts?
I know this wasn't your intent, but I am calling it now there will be a ton of negative posts about this.

That said, I think it is because we are heavily invested in Basketball and weren't so much in Football. Painter is consistently a top 20 coach so I think that the schools that wouldn't be a giant step down aren't currently looking for coaches or are wrapped up in some legal issues.

Flip side, what Brohm has done with the football team is miraculous. Painter while an excellent coach, didn't have to dig out of a hole nearly as big.

Helen Keller could see the train wreck Purdue football was pre-Brohm. He made significant strides in year 1—and followed with moments in year 2. BB program in much better condition when Painter took over.

Painter’s home, Brohm isn’t.

I dont know that I'd agree the BB program was in better shape when CMP took over. His year under Coach Keady they were 7-21. CMP'S first year at the helm he was 9-19. In year 2 he won 22 games. So I call that an improvement.

Last edited:
It comes down to us being much closer to the top in terms of basketball programs than in football. How many basketball programs would be considered "better" than Purdue? I'd say <20 for sure.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt

Painter is a Purdue guy. When he passed up the Missouri offer, it may have sealed it. But weren't there rumors that Louisville was interested after Pitino left? Not too many other high profile openings in the past 5 years.

Painter is a Purdue guy. When he passed up the Missouri offer, it may have sealed it. But weren't there rumors that Louisville was interested after Pitino left? Not too many other high profile openings in the past 5 years.
easier to turn around a B Ball too, hard comparison

It would take a blue blood school to even entice painter just a bit to make the move. How many of these schools have opened up in the last 10 years? Pretty much none, and Painter would never leave for a lateral or even slightly better job since he is happy and succeeding at Purdue. Also, these big time schools would not recruit painter since he has not made a deep run in the tourney as of yet. If that day ever came that we made the final four interest would spike considerably to pull Painter away.

I know this wasn't your intent, but I am calling it now there will be a ton of negative posts about this.

That said, I think it is because we are heavily invested in Basketball and weren't so much in Football. Painter is consistently a top 20 coach so I think that the schools that wouldn't be a giant step down aren't currently looking for coaches or are wrapped up in some legal issues.

Flip side, what Brohm has done with the football team is miraculous. Painter while an excellent coach, didn't have to dig out of a hole nearly as big.
Hope this doesn’t turn negative, although I suppose most threads do eventually.

I have my thoughts on this but I appreciate reading others’.

I think it's as simple as painter is home (as 2nd poster said). If brohm does take the Louisville job, I would think the rumors would stop unless the nfl comes calling.

Also as others have said, how many programs could even make a run at painter? Those that would dont really need to.

The brohm thing is part of life as a Purdue football fan. It's one of the lower tier p5 jobs. The guy who elevates it out if that would clearly be in high demand. It's just too bad brohm didnt have a little more success before all this to bring Purdue up first. Him leaving so fast is a 2018 'I want everything immediately and definitely' phenomena.

I encourage all Purdue fans just to stop reading about it for your own health. The answer will come after the bucket game. I think our best hope is that he stays here for a couple more years planning his next job in the nfl.

You think if Brohm grew up in West Lafayette and played at Purdue, Louisville would have offered him?

It comes down to us being much closer to the top in terms of basketball programs than in football. How many basketball programs would be considered "better" than Purdue? I'd say <20 for sure.
Agree and how many of those <20 programs are better and also aren't gonna get caught up in the FBI investigation.

I tend to agree with most of what has been said here. There are many factors. It seems most do agree that Painter has likely not been approached much by other programs.

There is one additional factor at play here, and why I think at some point, even if he were to stay, Brohm would likely be approached with fewer offers in the future (like Painter). When a coach first enters a program that is down, and succeeds in turning it around, that coach will likely never be in greater demand. That is where Brohm is right now. People see the increase from 2 wins to 7 and think it will be only a matter of time until 7 win turns to 10 or 11 and a CFP appearance. Or in basketball terms, a final four. But the longer the coach stays in place, the more he owns the state of the program. And at that point unless he is exceeding all expectations, the optimistic hope-based projections are replaced by the accuracy of reality. The final four or CFP dreams become “very good but not great” reality. Fans feel entitled to wanting more and it bleeds over to the perception of the coach. That is where Painter is. And that is likely where Brohm will be within 5-10 years. That’s just stating the odds.

On the mountain that everybody is trying to climb very few make it to the top. And it is much easier to get from ground level to base camp than it is to proceed from base camp to the summit.

It would take a blue blood school to even entice painter just a bit to make the move. How many of these schools have opened up in the last 10 years? Pretty much none, and Painter would never leave for a lateral or even slightly better job since he is happy and succeeding at Purdue. Also, these big time schools would not recruit painter since he has not made a deep run in the tourney as of yet. If that day ever came that we made the final four interest would spike considerably to pull Painter away.
That’s a fans perspective. Other coaches and AD’s are perfectly aware Painter and his success. USA basketball sure thinks highly of him and guessing by the attendance of other high profile coaches at his teaching events he is well regarded. Maybe some of the so called better jobs know he would never take the job and the skank that goes along with it.

I can’t wait til Ol’ Roy Williams steps down at UNC, Painter takes his job, Brohm leaves for L’ville and we hire Cuonzo and Kevin Sumlin and finally be able to recruit at this damn school!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT