ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question about Painter and Purdue BB fortunes

Jul 9, 2015
OK, it has been hashed out that Painter is/is not a fine recruiter and fine coach. Step in the Way-Back machine. Suppose Scott Martin does not transfer out after frosh year. OR suppose he does not even commit to Purdue in the first place. I have heard that Howard would have come---the same Howard who was a major contributor on back-to-back Tantalizing Two (alliteration, everyone, alliteration!) appearances with Butler. Given Howard with that recruiting class would have promised 2 Final Fours for us easily. Then, how would perception (and subsequent recruiting) of Purdue have changed?

In my humble opinion, the perception that FF appearances are completely dependent on which kids are on your team is a fallacy. Sorry to poke holes in your interesting proposition.

Add Scott Martin, or add Howard, and it makes no difference. Maybe if Purdue had the same path through the regionals, maybe, maybe not. You change one thing and everything else changes. Maybe some random team that shot poorly against Butler because they underestimated the small school, would instead, be up for playing Purdue, and shoot lights out. There are so many random variables that it makes fine tuning any specific situation a bit fruitless.

Had we made the FF in the last 10 years or so, it would be one less item used to negative recruit against Purdue. Negative recruiting is happening by several of our fellow BIG schools with regard to kids considering our school. There are a couple coaches that need to stop doing it now. It is classless and reflects badly on their athletic programs.

FWIW, Purdue would have had to offer a scholarship to Zach Hahn as well in order for Matt Howard to come. They were a package deal.

Reactions: BoilerIron
OK, it has been hashed out that Painter is/is not a fine recruiter and fine coach. Step in the Way-Back machine. Suppose Scott Martin does not transfer out after frosh year. OR suppose he does not even commit to Purdue in the first place. I have heard that Howard would have come---the same Howard who was a major contributor on back-to-back Tantalizing Two (alliteration, everyone, alliteration!) appearances with Butler. Given Howard with that recruiting class would have promised 2 Final Fours for us easily. Then, how would perception (and subsequent recruiting) of Purdue have changed?
also step back. Imagine if my mom had not met my dad but instead married Jeff Bezos, I will now be worth $50B +
How would my perception have changed?

In my humble opinion, the perception that FF appearances are completely dependent on which kids are on your team is a fallacy. Sorry to poke holes in your interesting proposition.

Add Scott Martin, or add Howard, and it makes no difference. Maybe if Purdue had the same path through the regionals, maybe, maybe not. You change one thing and everything else changes. Maybe some random team that shot poorly against Butler because they underestimated the small school, would instead, be up for playing Purdue, and shoot lights out. There are so many random variables that it makes fine tuning any specific situation a bit fruitless.

Had we made the FF in the last 10 years or so, it would be one less item used to negative recruit against Purdue. Negative recruiting is happening by several of our fellow BIG schools with regard to kids considering our school. There are a couple coaches that need to stop doing it now. It is classless and reflects badly on their athletic programs.

Can you define negative recruiting? I have a feeling as to what it means/what you’re implying, but how on earth is that classless? If Purdue wants a kid and another program who has been to multiple F4’s wants the same kid whose dream is to one day play in the F4, it’s classless to bring this up? Recruiting is part of a coaches job. In the real world, if you have a potential buyer/consumer who is interested in not only your company but also your competitor, you’re telling me you’re not telling that potential customer why he should choose you and not them? I mean it’s not like it’s your job and subsequently livelihood right? No different for a basketball coach.

It has been said many times that assistant coaches and players and recruits are also a huge part of recruiting. I know Purdue has had a lot of players and other recruits talking to other recruits. Is it possible the recruits we missed out on just didn't want to play with the recruits that were already here and signed?

I say this because one of the reasons Lebrun left Cleveland the first time was he just didn't want to play with their current players especially Mo Williams. He saw no future championships with Mo Williams as a team mate. So he went to Miami .

Is it possible the last two targets had the same feeling? They both saw the future and didn't want to be part of it and play with our future players?

Would Matt Howard have Come with a magic wand to untear Hummels ACL? If so, then I agree.

That’s hilarious! You’re going to call out other coaches for pointing out the fact that Purdue hasn’t been to a FF in 38 years? That Painter has a ‘defense first’ philosophy (true or not, but that’s the reputation) and NBA level talent can’t showcase?
Are these other coaches supposed to talk about what a great guy painter is and why they should go to P?
Give me a break. This is big boy basketball. Suck it up buttercup. It’s a tough world out there. (I’m still laughing that the other coaches should be nicer to Painter and Purdue).

That’s hilarious! You’re going to call out other coaches for pointing out the fact that Purdue hasn’t been to a FF in 38 years? That Painter has a ‘defense first’ philosophy (true or not, but that’s the reputation) and NBA level talent can’t showcase?
Are these other coaches supposed to talk about what a great guy painter is and why they should go to P?
Give me a break. This is big boy basketball. Suck it up buttercup. It’s a tough world out there. (I’m still laughing that the other coaches should be nicer to Painter and Purdue).
This. If you don't like other coaches using your history of mediocrity. Change your track record. Nearly all of his shiny things to brag about happened quite a while ago. He has nobody to blame but himself for giving other coaches a tool to use against him.

Had Luke Harangody (ND) committed...

Reactions: Roeder
In another stream of the multiverse, Purdue had three Final Fours and a Natty in 2011.
Hey, with 3 4-Stars who played/are playing in the League, a Matt Howard who played himself into an excellent college player, and a Kramer/Grant combo, I'd take my chances. Then, all of those guys we subsequently wanted would have become our 2nd choices!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT