ADVERTISEMENT

Historic defensive turnaround

rgarlitz

All-American
Jun 16, 2012
According to BTN, Purdue is giving up 19 ppg in B1G games this year after giving up 42 in conference games last year.

If it holds up against Indiana, it will go down as the biggest single-season turnaround in points given up in conference games some Tulane in 2001 and 2002.

This is also the first time Purdue has held three straight opponents under 100 yards rushing since 2004.

it is amazing basically w/ the same guys but with everyone tooting the D's horn, all the more teams will knocking on Holt's door.

Poindexter should be credited here as well. They are co-coordinators and the DB's speak so highly of him. Holt is a beast, however plenty of credit to go around to the entire staff. DL coach was instrumental in landing Karlaftis.

Well, we have some help in personnel as well this year. How many transfers have we got that immediately impact the season? Making or breaking a season can be due to a few plays that can decide the outcome. From that sense, we had a bare minimum last season. Deep in 3rd and 4th qtrs were always mean troubles.

But, coaches really gotta know ins and outs of their players for schemes. I would give credits for 70%/30% to coaching and 30% to additional players, respectively, for this year's success.

Reactions: rgarlitz
actually, the defense is playing without a couple of guys upfront whom a lot of posters seemed to like a lot. if you look at our defense, there are a lot of players who are no longer here. As I look back, a lot of our former players would look ok the first half, and then wear down the third qtr, and get run over in the 4th.

I have to believe our coaching has made a tremendous difference in both game preparation and also player conditioning. But, I also believe some popular Purdue players were not as good as their fans thought they were.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Granted that most of the staff came from WKU with CJB but at some point this was a staff that he put together. So with success in the coming years as the staff is recognized with better offers elsewhere we can at least take comfort in his demonstrated ability to recognize coaching talent and count on him to be able to maintain a high standard going forward.
I know many on here find such references objectionable but we have all recently seen the consequences of a head coach who does not seem to be able to recognize or attract coaching talent. Methinks this will not be a problem with our current head coach. He is the only one we really need to worry about losing. And given the alignment between his character/personality and the institution he is representing (ie, a match made in football heaven) I would not be at all surprised that if he sees the success at Purdue we are all anticipating that he becomes a lifer like Painter.

Reactions: Bippus33
They seem to play so hard this year. The players have really bought in.
They definitely go hard through the entire play. Instilling confidence in these kids was a big factor. It would have be easy to lose them after the sustained drives by Nebraska. Thats the game I would call our low point. Whatever is said and done, hats off to this D staff and the kids who finally believe in themselves

Well, we have some help in personnel as well this year. How many transfers have we got that immediately impact the season? Making or breaking a season can be due to a few plays that can decide the outcome. From that sense, we had a bare minimum last season. Deep in 3rd and 4th qtrs were always mean troubles.

But, coaches really gotta know ins and outs of their players for schemes. I would give credits for 70%/30% to coaching and 30% to additional players, respectively, for this year's success.
So true......but Hunt has played his ass off this year as well as Jacob Thienemen!!!!!

They seem to play so hard this year. The players have really bought in.
And we need to show our appreciation for the coaches and the players efforts by selling out Ross Ade for the Bucket Game!!!!! My wife and I bought 3 extra tickets to fill out our row of seats.
Boiler up!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT