ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to believe GILLIS wont be with us, he will be playing on another team projected as FF.

Still not sure I understand why he couldn't have stayed one more year, personally we could use his skills and leadership. Now DUKE will get them , which is gamechanger for them.
Where would his mins come from? Or he would take away from kids that don’t have that extra covid year that have been waiting on the team to play. Love Gillis but it was a good separation for both parties. He got to continue his masters at his dream school, prob got paid well and play with future nba guys and maybe make another deep run.

Purdue gets a new look with new guys and again, love Gillis, but he wasn’t going to give us a ton more wins by himself.

south park beat a dead horse GIF

Don't disagree. Much more valuable than most realize. especially -Zach. But he's getting a nice payday, so happy for him there.
Some Need to understand that it’s more
Important for the younger guys to gain experience for this team to be successful down the stretch this year and for next year. Gillis has nothing left to accomplish here…while he was a favorite player of mine, he has a greater chance of a final four and NC at Duke this year than here. And he got paid more.

Some Need to understand that it’s more
Important for the younger guys to gain experience for this team to be successful down the stretch this year and for next year. Gillis has nothing left to accomplish here…while he was a favorite player of mine, he has a greater chance of a final four and NC at Duke this year than here. And he got paid more.
Understand what your saying , I just felt and still do we are missing some confidence leadership down low. Realize his space gives someone else a place to step into. If Edey would have played an extra year looking for a championship would we have just assumed-wanted him to go on ? I don't think so. Anyways wish him well and glad he is playing with a high level group, I'm sure he will make a difference there , as he would have here.

Understand what your saying , I just felt and still do we are missing some confidence leadership down low. Realize his space gives someone else a place to step into. If Edey would have played an extra year looking for a championship would we have just assumed-wanted him to go on ? I don't think so. Anyways wish him well and glad he is playing with a high level group, I'm sure he will make a difference there , as he would have here.
I think Braden and Fletch will have something to say about leadership.

Understand what you’re saying , I just felt and still do we are missing some confidence leadership down low. Realize his space gives someone else a place to step into. If Edey would have played an extra year looking for a championship would we have just assumed-wanted him to go on ? I don't think so. Anyways wish him well and glad he is playing with a high level group, I'm sure he will make a difference there , as he would have here.
It’s not like Painter told him “no”….

But if comparing the two, Edey wins you games by himself. Mason did and will not. Again, love the kid and all he did for us and what he represents as a person a player. But if edey came back, we would have taken him instantly. And if Gillis had decided to come back at the start of last year, he would have been taken back too by painter (he said he made them all decide at beginning of the year prior to the season starting).

TKR is a leader down low. Furst and Berg too…they’ve been competing vs one another and the NPOTYx2 for 2 years and have seen him be a leader. They’ve also watched Mason and Morty be leaders as well and one would hope that has rubbed on them!

I think a lot of Mason's success was his team mates finding him open for his shot.
Unselfish play all the way around.
Mason wasn't a shot creator for himself.
I fear these young studs at Duke will want their own and Mason will not have a good stat year.
He will add maturity to a young Duke team.

I have little doubt that if Mason wanted to stay, he could have as there is just no way I see Painter turning him away. But as many others have said, he accomplished all he was going to most likely here and got a huge chunk of change from Duke.

It's like leaving a job you love but reached a place where you couldn't grow anymore, for a company you like or have always liked that has a better set of opportunities for you.

I have little doubt that if Mason wanted to stay, he could have as there is just no way I see Painter turning him away. But as many others have said, he accomplished all he was going to most likely here and got a huge chunk of change from Duke.

It's like leaving a job you love but reached a place where you couldn't grow anymore, for a company you like or have always liked that has a better set of opportunities for you.
Yup. I don’t think ppl realize that it was Purdue saying “you can’t come back”.

Paint said in a podcast he would have taken all 3 back if they wanted to come back but they had to make a decision before the season started last year. I assume it was to make sure they could hit the portal asap for the best possible place to go and get that NIL. And from paints side he’d know how many open spots he could recruit for.

I fear these young studs at Duke will want their own and Mason will not have a good stat year.
Your prediction may be closer to the truth than many realize. Here's a Duke summer practice clip from a couple months ago. Of course things can change as Mason gets settled in, but at least in this video he didn't touch the ball very much.

Lots of ball hogs on that Duke squad.

Your prediction may be closer to the truth than many realize. Here's a Duke summer practice clip from a couple months ago. Of course things can change as Mason gets settled in, but at least in this video he didn't touch the ball very much.

keep in mind they showed highlights and not the full practice/scrimmage so he could have touched it a lot more.

Masons role will be to hit pocket 3s, toughness (protect the number 1 overall pick) and leadership. Probably will average 15-20 min a game and 4-7 ppg.

Yup. I don’t think ppl realize that it was Purdue saying “you can’t come back”.

Paint said in a podcast he would have taken all 3 back if they wanted to come back but they had to make a decision before the season started last year. I assume it was to make sure they could hit the portal asap for the best possible place to go and get that NIL. And from paints side he’d know how many open spots he could recruit for.
On that note, thank God the Covid year is done.

I think a lot of Mason's success was his team mates finding him open for his shot.
Unselfish play all the way around.
Mason wasn't a shot creator for himself.
He will add maturity to a young Duke team.
if scoring is all you count, then it might be. Otherwise he will have a very good year.

summer practice ain't the season, and Mason doesn't need to score (much) to be a valuable piece.

I highly doubt Mason will come close to getting the minutes or stats he generated at Purdue. And I believe Mason knows that. He didn’t go to Duke for a chance to be a star. I see him going to Duke as sort of an assistant coach.

I can’t really see Mason as having any pro prospects. I can see him becoming a successful coach. Going to Duke affords him the opportunity to work with another awesome head coach and an opportunity to design x’s and 0’s. And plays against a different style of basketball.

duke may win a championship. But it won’t be with Mason leading the way. But he could prove to be a very good mentor and steadying factor to their young one and done players.

I wonder how Purdue fans would have reacted if Edey had decided to stay in college but decided to transfer to another school saying he did all he could at Purdue and it was time to move on . That’s exactly what Dickinson did transferring to Kansas. What if Edey had decided to follow Dickinson’s lead and example? Edey could probably have made more money staying in college than playing for The NBA.

I believe Gillis made the right decision.

Ask yourself, why did you choose to attend Purdue over IU? It may make sense if you are an engineer or ag major. But if you are an education or business or pre med major, it seems rather stupid to select Purdue! Do you allow others to make your decisions for you? Did you go to Purdue because your friends and family wanted you to go to Purdue?

It’s the same for Sisley and Edey and Gillis. Ultimately it’s their decision and not yours!

• Wow
Reactions: Riveting
I highly doubt Mason will come close to getting the minutes or stats he generated at Purdue. And I believe Mason knows that. He didn’t go to Duke for a chance to be a star. I see him going to Duke as sort of an assistant coach.

I can’t really see Mason as having any pro prospects. I can see him becoming a successful coach. Going to Duke affords him the opportunity to work with another awesome head coach and an opportunity to design x’s and 0’s. And plays against a different style of basketball.

duke may win a championship. But it won’t be with Mason leading the way. But he could prove to be a very good mentor and steadying factor to their young one and done players.

I wonder how Purdue fans would have reacted if Edey had decided to stay in college but decided to transfer to another school saying he did all he could at Purdue and it was time to move on . That’s exactly what Dickinson did transferring to Kansas. What if Edey had decided to follow Dickinson’s lead and example? Edey could probably have made more money staying in college than playing for The NBA.

Ask yourself, why did you choose to attend Purdue over IU? It may make sense if you are an engineer or ag major. But if you are an education or business or pre med major, it seems rather stupid to select Purdue! Do you allow others to make your decisions for you? Did you go to Purdue because your friends and family wanted you to go to Purdue?

It’s the same for Sisley and Edey and Gillis. Ultimately it’s their decision and not yours!
1. We know it’s their decision
2. You don’t think Gillis can play 20 min a game and average 6 pts and 4 rebs at Duke like he did during his whole career at Purdue?
3. Dickinson left Michigan because he got more money at KU, an actual contender with a great coach and Michigan was an absolute dumpster fire.
4. You think Edey would have made more than $5.7M if he had came back and transferred? Cuz that’s what he gets his first year of his $26M deal.
5. Purdue and IU are known to have really good business schools
6. Pre-med doesn’t matter much where you go for undergrad…it’s where you go to med school.

Wow, just wow. For someone who whines and complains every time you're "attacked personally," you just called anyone who ever graduated from Krannert stupid, among others. GTFOH. But yeah, it's everyone's own decision, not yours.

I'm sure Mason is not going to design X's and O's at Duke any more than he did at Purdue. And the jury is still out on whether Scheyer is an "awesome head coach."

Edey and Dick are similar why? He was the 9th pick in the draft. He could have done better by staying in college and transferring?

And you still wonder why people here belittle you.

Wow, just wow. For someone who whines and complains every time you're "attacked personally," you just called anyone who ever graduated from Krannert stupid, among others. GTFOH. But yeah, it's everyone's own decision, not yours.

I'm sure Mason is not going to design X's and O's at Duke any more than he did at Purdue. And the jury is still out on whether Scheyer is an "awesome head coach."

Edey and Dick are similar why? He was the 9th pick in the draft. He could have done better by staying in college and transferring?

And you still wonder why people here belittle you.
💯 …he definitely did not think about anything he was saying in this one.

Reactions: pu1985
OMG!
1. Gillis met with Painter at the beginning of the season.
2. Painter asked the seniors their plans about use of their Covid years.
3. All 3 chose not to use their Covid year at Purdue and Painter recruited knowing those decisions.
4. Gillis chose to move on and leave Purdue!
5. Painter has stated had they committed to staying and Playing at Purdue he would have made that happen.
6. Most of the fans loved Gillis and would be happy to watch him play for us this year.
7. Once again he made his decision to not use his extra year at Purdue!
8. Now can we please let the dead horse lie in peace? Let this thread fade off into the sunset.
9. My Grumpy rant is done.

Mason is, and has always been, a serious competitor. He has proven that he is a difference-maker for multiple years on a team that performed better than Duke. I expect he is going to Duke believing he will be a difference-maker and have a key roll playing for the team. That's my courageous take. :rolleyes:

OMG!
1. Gillis met with Painter at the beginning of the season.
2. Painter asked the seniors their plans about use of their Covid years.
3. All 3 chose not to use their Covid year at Purdue and Painter recruited knowing those decisions.
4. Gillis chose to move on and leave Purdue!
5. Painter has stated had they committed to staying and Playing at Purdue he would have made that happen.
6. Most of the fans loved Gillis and would be happy to watch him play for us this year.
7. Once again he made his decision to not use his extra year at Purdue!
8. Now can we please let the dead horse lie in peace? Let this thread fade off into the sunset.
9. My Grumpy rant is done.
leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
But if you are an education or business or pre med major, it seems rather stupid to select Purdue!
We already knew you were anti-everything-Purdue but this is a whole new level. And you wonder why you catch so much grief here when you make such mind numbingly ignorant and unfounded statements like this. You bring it on yourself.

Oh and Rose Hulman sucks.

Ask yourself, why did you choose to attend Purdue over IU? It may make sense if you are an engineer or ag major. But if you are an education or business or pre med major, it seems rather stupid to select Purdue!

You know having attended both Purdue & iu as an undergrad, that is not only a dumb take but has no basis in fact. Purdue offers over 200 majors to graduate with & graduates over 13,000 a year. So to say only ag or engineering is lacking common sense.

Having personal experience at both Universities, Purdue is by far superior learning environment.

if scoring is all you count, then it might be. Otherwise he will have a very good year.
I think the jury is still out on Scheyer but I believe he's a strong enough coach to help players recognize that finding a lights-out three-point shooter when he's open will stretch defenses and help open things up for them in return.

Niche.com ranks IU as the #36 Best College for Education in America and Purdue as the #55 Best Colleges for Education in America. Is that a significant enough difference to make it stupid to choose Purdue over IU for education?

Niche.com ranks IU as the #36 Best College for Education in America and Purdue as the #55 Best Colleges for Education in America. Is that a significant enough difference to make it stupid to choose Purdue over IU for education?

Thats for Liberal TEACHERS and EDUCATORS only! I'm surprised IU is rated that low! That is one LIBERAL school!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT