ADVERTISEMENT

Hammer & Rails Tweet

A - Whatever damage he could do was done when Purdue let him start the season. It didn't get any better by firing him mid-season and wouldn't have been worse if they had fired him at 3-7 as opposed to 3-3. People wanted him fired and were going to be equally happy when he got fired at any point up through the end of the season. Some people wanted him fired after the Maryland game. Do you think those people are sitting back now lamenting the fact that he was fired 2 games later instead of that point? Did someone refuse to join JPC because he was fired after Iowa instead of Maryland? I very much doubt it. Same would have held true at any point. Whenever he got canned, it was going to be a celebration on here and people were going to start to look forward. What game it happened after was irrelevant.
Everyone - AD, fans, players, you, me, Hazel himself - knew after the Maryland game his time at Purdue was over not later than the end of the year. It doesn't matter who is more to blame (DH, Burke/admin, assistants, recruiting, etc.), the DH and Purdue marriage wasn't working and there was absolutely going to be a separation. With that being the case, it's almost inconceivable to think that any good could come from having a figurehead as a coach.

Are the assistants really going to care what he says? Are the players paying attention any more? How do the players concentrate on the future when their present situation is a total sham where their leader isn't really their leader? The assistants show up for work every day and have to take orders from a guy they KNOW their ultimate boss (the AD) is cutting bait with. They're practically facing a conflict of interest... continue to follow DH's orders or do what they feel is in the best interest of the program such that they have some possibility of being considered for retention by the new regime. I mean, that is practically toxic any way you look at it. How is there not a benefit from course-correcting that situation?

That's my position. You don't have to share it; that's OK. Back to your final statement though, I don't get how you can maintain it was both a) the wrong move to fire him when they did, and b) irrelevant when they fired him. The very nature of it being irrelevant means it shouldn't really matter to you, but it clearly does.

Last edited:
Everyone - AD, fans, players, you, me, Hazel himself - knew after the Maryland game his time at Purdue was over not later than the end of the year. It doesn't matter who is more to blame (DH, Burke/admin, assistants, recruiting, etc.), the DH and Purdue marriage wasn't working and there was absolutely going to be a separation. With that being the case, it's almost inconceivable to think that any good could come from having a figurehead as a coach.

Are the assistants really going to care what he says? Are the players paying attention any more? How do the players concentrate on the future when their present situation is a total sham where their leader isn't really their leader? The assistants show up for work every day and have to take orders from a guy they KNOW their ultimate boss (the AD) is cutting bait with. They're practically facing a conflict of interest... continue to follow DH's orders or do what they feel is in the best interest of the program such that they have some possibility of being considered for retention by the new regime. I mean, that is practically toxic any way you look at it. How is there not a benefit from course-correcting that situation?

That's my position. You don't have to share it; that's OK. Back to your final statement though, I don't get how you can maintain it was both a) the wrong move to fire him when they did, and b) irrelevant when they fired him. The very nature of it being irrelevant means it shouldn't really matter to you, but it clearly does.

It was irrelevant from the perspective that fans were going to be happy whether it was after Maryland, after Iowa, after Nebraska, after Minnesota, after Penn State, after Wisconsin, or after IU. Whatever damage that had been done was done. We are no worse off today than we would've been had he been fired after Maryland. All it did was eliminate a few weeks of online grousing from a few people which clearly doesn't matter in the least.

In regards to what I would've done, I believe once you let a coach start a season, you at least let him go (barring some sort of scandal or other such issue) until he can no longer achieve the minimum goals set for that season. I'd have waited until a bowl game was no longer possible if it were me. I didn't think Bobinski would fire him at 3-3 and clearly that was incorrect. The fact that he did doesn't mean that I agree with it. The fact that I disagree with it doesn't mean that it matters. That's the best I can do to summarize my thoughts on the matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT