ADVERTISEMENT

Haarms.....TW??

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Does Haarms need to give way minutes to TW to wake him up?

At least TW provides a big body for pics, rebounding, has great hands as a low post receiver and seems to provide positive minutes everytime he is in the game. EB has been great other than his foul shooting. Haarms is just a mystery to me so far this season; I expected so much more.....a guy I think with his size and mobility should be posting 12+ ppg nightly.

Now Haarms does provide shot blocking, but so far this year I have been unimpressed by his developmental progress, lack of offensive moves and lack of scoring for a 7'3" guy.

The production of the Haarms/EB combo is pretty good, but perhaps EB/TW would be better?

I know Purdue needs Haarms and his size, but what is it going to take & wake him up to get the effort needed/expected? Just wondering what the rest of you are thinking about Haarms?

Last edited:

At least TW provides a big body for pics, rebounding, has great hands as a low post receiver and seems to provide positive minutes everytime he is in the game. EB has been great other than his foul shooting. Haarms is just a mystery to me so far this season; I expected so much more.....a guy I think with his size and mobility should be posting 12+ ppg nightly.

Now Haarms does provide shot blocking, but so far this year I have been unimpressed by his developmental progress, lack of offensive moves and lack of scoring for a 7'3" guy.

The production of the Haarms/EB combo is pretty good, but perhaps EB/TW would be better?

I know Purdue needs Haams and his size, but what is it going to take & wake him up to get the effort needed/expected? Just wondering what the rest of you are thinking about Haarms?
I'm thinking he is adjusting to being the starting center as opposed to backing up one.

I felt strongly over the off-season that Haarms would not be a strong contributor. I didn't say anything, what was the point. I wasn't interested in debating. No way to know. But his performance at the end of last year did not indicate to me a great year for this year. He just doesn't show anything to impress me.

I really think Haarms emotions are out of control a bit and I don't think this helps overall. I mean it is ok to be excited after a great play, but not every play. I thought Haarms was supposed to be a slight outside threat. Would like to see him get away from the basket now and then and hit some jumpers from 10 or 15 feet. Expand his game a little. I could be wrong but I don't see any real improvement in his game from last year so far. Boudreaux should definitely be starting over Haarms in my opinion.

I know Purdue needs Haarms and his size, but what is it going to take & wake him up to get the effort needed/expected? Just wondering what the rest of you are thinking about Haarms?
FYI - EB shooting 77%FT after last nights 6-10. Was 86% before. I will take a 77%FT shooter at the 4/5 all day long. Carson was in the 90's before last night. They both had a bad game shooting FT's but i think that was an anomaly....

Trevion has way more natural talent than Haarms -- passing, rebounding, overall skills.

We'll see if, by the end of the season, his minutes increase.

Haarms is a good example of why I don't like 40 minute stats projections. Until he proves he can actually start playing an effective 25+ minutes, trying to project what he will do in 30-40 minutes is a meaningless stat.

this was also why I was hoping Dow would be ready to play back-up this year rather than red shirting. and also why I didn't want Evan and Grady as back-up centers. and why I also wanted a center as part of the 2019 recruiting class.

Purdue fans have placed a lot of faith in haarms as being the next great Purdue center . What happens if he's not? What happens if he is more like Matt Vann Damm than Haas?

Haarms is a good example of why I don't like 40 minute stats projections. Until he proves he can actually start playing an effective 25+ minutes, trying to project what he will do in 30-40 minutes is a meaningless stat.

this was also why I was hoping Dow would be ready to play back-up this year rather than red shirting. and also why I didn't want Evan and Grady as back-up centers. and why I also wanted a center as part of the 2019 recruiting class.

Purdue fans have placed a lot of faith in haarms as being the next great Purdue center . What happens if he's not? What happens if he is more like Matt Vann Damm than Haas?

Trevion has way more natural talent than Haarms -- passing, rebounding, overall skills.

We'll see if, by the end of the season, his minutes increase.
Maybe Haarms needs to be the first off the bench,
sometimes players react better in this role...I don't remember, but this was done with some else in the past and it worked great.

sometimes players react better in this role...I don't remember, but this was done with some else in the past and it worked great.

it was done with Hammons because he got into a lot of early foul trouble. Hammons seemed to be motivated and productive coming off the bench.

I would like to see TW (5) and EB (4) Start with Haarms and Wheeler/GE as back ups.

TW would have a great teacher on the floor w/EB
and would give us a tremendous rebounding tandem

Reactions: PaBoiler78

My 2 cents are we need to start Boudreaux and give him the bulk of the minutes at the 5. He is producing and will only get better offensively as he gains chemistry with the starters. He also needs to teach a class on boxing out and then fighting for the ball as it comes off the rim. Textbook rebounder that is a joy to watch. He is not a shot blocker, but watching him off the ball his understanding of help defense and denying the post is pretty good.

Haarms can be an energy guy off the bench and there is nothing wrong with that for a Sophomore that is clearly still developing. It's a long season and if things start to click with him at any point look out.

Tre's minutes will come against teams like MSU and Iowa that play a traditional PF and Center together. He will get his time, just be patient.

I would like to see TW (5) and EB (4) Start with Haarms and Wheeler/GE as back ups.

TW would have a great teacher on the floor w/EB
and would give us a tremendous rebounding tandem

This seems pretty extreme. Williams has mostly played garbage minutes, it looks like he would be exposed with anything resembling starting. The game looks fast to him.

It seems like haarms has become the whopping boy but I don't think he's been that bad. I thought his size and length helped last night. His last few 3s haven't gone in but they've been soft on the rim so they should fall. I think we've become so used to hammons, haas, biggie that haarms is being held to that standard of production ev et n though getting him the ball is an afterthought instead of focus.

He also had nothing to do with the collapse. I'm hoping it was just a young team with most guys in their first taste of that environment (at least in their new role) and they didnt handle it well.

We need to remember there isn't 4 seniors out there

Yeah I think Haarms thinks he is a guard, and is not playing up to his size. I appreciate that he knows he can hit the three ball but that is really not where we need him to produce at this year.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I think there is merit in this discussion. Haarms seems to play more like a PF than a center. Maybe he should start in place of Eifert, with EB at the 5 position. The use Williams as EB's back up and Eifert as the backup to Haarms?
This interests me ... and that is a rarity !!! Drive those twisties for me!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT