ADVERTISEMENT

Haarms Dutch National Team?

Nov 1, 2018
With Tokyo 2020 looming international play should be hot and heavy. I would assume Haarms would be good enough to make the Dutch roster but I’ve never heard this possibility mentioned here or anywhere else?

If he attends can he still come back for his senior year?
I’m not sure what restrictions the NCAA would have on Olympic competition but a lot of Olympic athletes in other sports such as swimming and track and field are also NCAA athletes and pre-dreamteam days our entire Olympic roster was college players. I’m just surprised to never hear any mention of this. It might be good experience/exposure for him I sure as hell would tune in to watch him play.

I'm not sure that the Netherlands even has a chance to qualify for the Olympics at this point. They didn't qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup which determines most of the Olympic spots. If I understand correctly (I'm no Olympic basketball expert), there will be four 6-team tournaments to select the 4 remaining Olympic slots not determined by the '19 FIBA WC. However, at this point the Netherlands (as a non-World Cup qualifier) would need a wild card entry to even get into those tournaments...not sure how those wild card selections are made & if the Netherlands is even a possibility.

Reactions: Boiler_Pete99
Why couldn't he? For most athletes, the Olympics is still an amateur event.
I didnt get the impression the USA team was amatuer. And NCAA does whatever it wants. I would assume they had a rule about it but I wouldnt know.

I didnt get the impression the USA team was amatuer. And NCAA does whatever it wants. I would assume they had a rule about it but I wouldnt know.

As long as any compensation he gets for his services is sent directly to his parents, there won't be an issue. tic.
Seriously, as long as he doesn't get paid, he will be fine.
But since it's Purdue the NCAA will adopt a ruling making Olympians ineligible for collegiate competition. The will adopt it after the Olympics but make it retroactive, thus screwing Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT