ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting GoldandBlack.com Analysis: Fletcher Loyer's Purdue commitment

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Let me just tell you: Purdue landed a hell of a player today in adding Fletcher Loyer.

Honestly, after spending part of the summer scurrying to stay one step ahead of COVID specifically to see Loyer, and some others, play as often as I could, I can tell you that I don’t know if I’ve ever been as certain about a Purdue fit as I am with the combo guard who the Boilermaker staff had at hello.

Here’s what Purdue is getting: An elite shooter with a quick trigger and a distinct confidence about him, but also a well-rounded offensive player who’s a clever all-around scorer, a fine ball-handler who uses both hands very well, and a terrific passer, the sort of trustworthy ball-handler and decision-maker Matt Painter pines over.

Podcast

Crafty and clever are terms I’d wholeheartedly approve of using to describe Loyer’s offensive game. He’s obviously been taught the game well and put in his share of effort. He knows how to put defenders on skates with his dribble, knows how to use his body to create space for himself, knows how to attack close-outs and his runner and pull-up game are (flame emoji). He’s one of those players who seems to be playing 3D chess, a move ahead on those guarding him, and he’s an outstanding passer who sees the floor and throws teammates open reminiscent of Dakota Mathias.

I don’t know if Loyer is quite the passer Mathias was, but he’s a more dynamic scorer, a bit better of an athlete and, to me, very comparable as an all-around player and thinker of the game.

That’s a mouthful of a comparison, but a very credible one.

Again, these are the sorts of players that work at Purdue — skilled as hell offensively, smart and well-schooled in basketball, from solid basketball upbringings.

To me it speaks volumes about Loyer that Purdue barely even had to tell him that.

He figured it out on his own, and came into the recruiting process wanting Purdue as much as Purdue wanted him.

Understanding unknowns always about in recruiting and everything resets once a player gets to a college, it’s hard to imagine a better marriage that this one, to be honest. I’m trying not to overstate things, but this is one I’m pretty sure about.

This is really significant news for Purdue, and a continuation of the red-hot run of recruiting Painter and his program have enjoyed. You may look at Loyer as only a three-star recruit if you’re into star-gazing; I’ll tell you with certainty, he won’t be only a three-star much longer, at least as one service sees it.

This is a primo recruit on top of an ideal fit, and a fine start to a 2022 class Purdue is almost ideally situated with, though numbers might get weird.

It is really ideal for Purdue to land an A-list target this early to take some pressure off the mere assemblage of numbers for a class that could land anywhere between five and three, I’d think.

Loyer is one who can be paired with damn near anyone Purdue might recruit from here on out, because he’s so versatile and the sort of player who can fit in with most anyone. He can be really good with the ball or without it. I think point guard is his best position offensively — especially at Purdue — but he can be a pure Kyle Guy-type 2 also.

The addition of Loyer also checks a really important box. Purdue is dead set on recruiting great shooters. Not sure it did so in 2020 or 2021. Jaden Ivey and Ethan Morton have potential and Trey Kaufman and Caleb Furst can each stretch the floor for their positions, but there’s no Mathias, Ryan Cline or Carsen Edwards in that group, as far as I see it.

Now, Purdue has another of those guys who’ve been so important to this program’s winning formula.

This was a really significant pickup for Purdue.

Really significant

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News