ADVERTISEMENT

Glad to see Dienhart's Unbeaten and immortal: Story of 1943 Purdue 'Perfect Warriors'

NVboiler

Sophomore
Jul 6, 2018
A little later than this my father was drafted into the navy and after training at Great Lakes was sent to Purdue for further training to be an electrician's mate. It was the beginning of our family's tradition of attending Purdue. Fortunately, his outcome in the Pacific was much better than Butkovich's. It was an interesting time and an interesting story.

I don't know if the book covers it, but I've been told that Butkovich actually played a game against some of the ND players (with some of the Purdue players) on Okinawa just before he was killed. They played on a crushed shell/coral field and the final score was a tie, 0-0.

I don't know if the book covers it, but I've been told that Butkovich actually played a game against some of the ND players (with some of the Purdue players) on Okinawa just before he was killed. They played on a crushed shell/coral field and the final score was a tie, 0-0.

The Purdue team scored three times but the referees, Captain O’Leary and Major O’Houlihan, called them all back

;)

A little later than this my father was drafted into the navy and after training at Great Lakes was sent to Purdue for further training to be an electrician's mate. It was the beginning of our family's tradition of attending Purdue. Fortunately, his outcome in the Pacific was much better than Butkovich's. It was an interesting time and an interesting story.

That's awesome, hats off to your dad for being a real hero and also starting the Purdue tradition!

The author of "Perfect Warriors" is Cory Palm who, like Tom Dienhart, is a gifted writer and a great asset to the Purdue Athletic Department:

cory_palm.jpeg

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT