ADVERTISEMENT

Future Looks Bright

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
For me, this year isn't a big deal. In fact I said at the beginning of the year we could go 6-2 or 2-6. It looks like we'll be closer to the later. Every games been close but things have clearly gone down hill.

To me the problem is that I just don't see all of this talent we were supposed to be bring in that's going to make things better in the future. I love a good Rudy story as good as the next guy but IMO you can't have a team built on Rudy's. Our #1 quarterback is a walk on. Our tailback is a walk on, Gavin is a walk on. Theineman is a walk on, Anthrop is a walk on, Douglas played one game at Army and walked on at Purdue and started yesterday, Coyle is a transfer from a 2-10 Uconn team and started yesterday and led the team in tackles, Mitchell is from a Community College that didn't win many games and is arguably our best defensive player. People say we're young but many of these walkons/transfers are only a year older than the guys Brohm recruited. Three of our underclassman RBs have now opted out. That leaves us with 2 RB on the roster (3 if you count a walk on named Lewis who up until this weekend was 6th on the depth chart) and no RB recruits coming in. On top of that some of our best players (Moore, Barnes, Neal, and Hermanns) will be gone next year.

I don't know. To me its like we're going to go into year five no better off than we were in year 1. I'd argue even worse because in years 1 and 2 we had a couple of very good quarterbacks, running backs named Jones and Knox and on defense we had a middle linebacker who is playing for the Patriots.

Not sure what's going on with team with players opting out, feel that Brohm doesn't do well on picking assistant coaches, and remembering Painter had a lot leave team his first few years, takes some coaches a few years to get ducks in a row

This team is in complete disarray from top to bottom. Anyone that has managed people knows that complete and utter ....well.... failure, starts and ends with the person in charge. There needs to be some drastic changes in the offseason of some kind to say the least.

I agree that Brohm at least won't be fired this season with it being under a pandemic, but if things don't improve next year then he needs to go. No matter the buyout as anything else and you will lose the fanbase and the revenue they bring in.

As much as it pains me to say it, IU is going to trounce us and that might have a silver lining to it as it will force some change. And while I still don't think IU is as good as their ranking indicates, we are just that bad and the team has given up.

And everything I mentioned above starts and ends with Brohm to fix with the immediate changes being getting a new DC and ST coach.

This team has a ton of issues. I always like brohm but now think he is overrated. He can recruit

Reactions: Lionheart1
For me, this year isn't a big deal. In fact I said at the beginning of the year we could go 6-2 or 2-6. It looks like we'll be closer to the later. Every games been close but things have clearly gone down hill.

To me the problem is that I just don't see all of this talent we were supposed to be bring in that's going to make things better in the future. I love a good Rudy story as good as the next guy but IMO you can't have a team built on Rudy's. Our #1 quarterback is a walk on. Our tailback is a walk on, Gavin is a walk on. Theineman is a walk on, Anthrop is a walk on, Douglas played one game at Army and walked on at Purdue and started yesterday, Coyle is a transfer from a 2-10 Uconn team and started yesterday and led the team in tackles, Mitchell is from a Community College that didn't win many games and is arguably our best defensive player. People say we're young but many of these walkons/transfers are only a year older than the guys Brohm recruited. Three of our underclassman RBs have now opted out. That leaves us with 2 RB on the roster (3 if you count a walk on named Lewis who up until this weekend was 6th on the depth chart) and no RB recruits coming in. On top of that some of our best players (Moore, Barnes, Neal, and Hermanns) will be gone next year.

I don't know. To me its like we're going to go into year five no better off than we were in year 1. I'd argue even worse because in years 1 and 2 we had a couple of very good quarterbacks, running backs named Jones and Knox and on defense we had a middle linebacker who is playing for the Patriots.

• Which team in the Big Ten has been starting more true freshman, red shirt freshmen, and true sophomores than Purdue over the previous two years? I would be surprised if any are even close.
  • Everyone has been critical of Diaco for legit reasons, but he should get kudos for bringing in Mitchell and Coyle. Of all the things to complain about... that is not one of them. Coyle had by far his best game against Nebraska and Mitchell has played well all year. Coyle was injured to begin the year.
  • Injuries continue to affect the depth chart. If Craig and Beach were healthy, then I doubt Hartwig and Garvin are starting against Rutgers and Nebraska. Purdue's defense has never been the same since the injury Karlaftis sustained in the Illinois game. Yes, every team has had injuries, but it impacts Purdue more than other teams.
  • Hermanns is two years older than the first offensive lineman Brohm has recruited in his first full cycle of 2018. From Purdue's juniors: Garvin, Washington, and Stickford, only Garvin is starting. Sophomores are Miller, Bramel, and McKenna. Freshman are Hartwig, Jornigan, Holstege, Monnot III, Fox, Kaltenberger, and Bycznski. The offensive line will objectively be better next year and the year after, especially if Craig is healthy. If somehow Beach can return, then the 2-deep looks even better. Brohm can continue to add depth with a few grad transfers.
  • Brohm's first year in 2017, Purdue had grad transfer RS SR Steinmetz at RT, who went pro. RS FR Hermanns at LT. RS JR Barron at C. RS SO McCann at RG. Grad transfer RS JR Evans at LG. Purdue is still trying to get to back to that level of experience with even more talent.
  • I don't know what else Brohm can do at QB. No QB from the 2016 class, Sipe from the 2017 class had to leave the team last year due to injury. He recruited Alaimo, who didn't enroll early to compete this year. He flipped Jackson from Minnesota for 2021 and has a top prospect Allen for 2022. The QB competition for spring should be greater compared to this previous offseason, and QB play should only get better in the future. Sure, Plummer and Aidan have been up and down, but many other teams in the Big Ten have had much worse QB play with more experienced offenses.
  • Doerue has been good and will only get better. Horvath is a tough and productive player. The Schiano hire at Rutgers is impacting Purdue's recruiting strategy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson and Murphey transfer to Rutgers, which is closer to home for them both. Schiano is closing the New York and New Jersey pipeline to Purdue with a compelling pitch. Brohm has to change strategy and expand into new areas, and Purdue couldn't have picked a worse year to play Rutgers.
  • However, the transfer portal is a two-way street, and Brohm can easily get another RB from the portal with the current openings on the roster and with the excessive supply of talent with the extra year of Covid eligibility. I expect the transfer portal will be Purdue's friend when everything is said and done to start the 2021 season.

Reactions: krf3632
Good post BoilerData. I especially like the point about the amount of young guys. These guys were more or less thrown into the fire, especially on defense. In bigger programs these guys wouldn't see much action until Jr year. We have talent, and we've been close.

These firing Brohm posts are mostly emotional reactions, which I totally understand. Yes, the schedule was set up very nicely, but at the same time we could not afford any significant injuries. As another thread goes, our margin for error is razor thin.

In conclusion, I want to see what Brohm can do with his juniors and seniors.

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
Team needs an overhaul. Brohm used grad transfers for OL and LB’s in year one. He’ll need to encourage some to move on and start the GRAD transfer market + Transfer Portal to get some mature men to make us more competitive.
The SPECIAL TEAMS are an eyesore much like “pink eye” that you can hardly watch without wanting to turn away. New coach needed.
Defensive scheme of 3-4 must be trashed. I didn’t see us in that alignment yesterday, but as others pointed out, we knew they were running and our LB’s were back peddling vs aggressively plugging holes at times in the red zone. 2nd and 21 and STUPID PENALTY killed any comeback chance. That player should know how crucial that mistake was. No more playing time this year. Need new DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR who can actually motivate and have players that are smart.
Fix those primary issues and we should be better next year. There will be several new faces and names next year.
Say want you want, COVID...yadda...yadda...yadda. This year = D and doesn’t cut it. Might end up D- if we tank the last two games and give up.
Have your piggy banks ready for next year if changes don’t pan out. I hope they do, but trend is not our friend.

if we fire or don’t fire diaco and biagi.. because those are two different futures

• Which team in the Big Ten has been starting more true freshman, red shirt freshmen, and true sophomores than Purdue over the previous two years? I would be surprised if any are even close.
  • Everyone has been critical of Diaco for legit reasons, but he should get kudos for bringing in Mitchell and Coyle. Of all the things to complain about... that is not one of them. Coyle had by far his best game against Nebraska and Mitchell has played well all year. Coyle was injured to begin the year.
  • Injuries continue to affect the depth chart. If Craig and Beach were healthy, then I doubt Hartwig and Garvin are starting against Rutgers and Nebraska. Purdue's defense has never been the same since the injury Karlaftis sustained in the Illinois game. Yes, every team has had injuries, but it impacts Purdue more than other teams.
  • Hermanns is two years older than the first offensive lineman Brohm has recruited in his first full cycle of 2018. From Purdue's juniors: Garvin, Washington, and Stickford, only Garvin is starting. Sophomores are Miller, Bramel, and McKenna. Freshman are Hartwig, Jornigan, Holstege, Monnot III, Fox, Kaltenberger, and Bycznski. The offensive line will objectively be better next year and the year after, especially if Craig is healthy. If somehow Beach can return, then the 2-deep looks even better. Brohm can continue to add depth with a few grad transfers.
  • Brohm's first year in 2017, Purdue had grad transfer RS SR Steinmetz at RT, who went pro. RS FR Hermanns at LT. RS JR Barron at C. RS SO McCann at RG. Grad transfer RS JR Evans at LG. Purdue is still trying to get to back to that level of experience with even more talent.
  • I don't know what else Brohm can do at QB. No QB from the 2016 class, Sipe from the 2017 class had to leave the team last year due to injury. He recruited Alaimo, who didn't enroll early to compete this year. He flipped Jackson from Minnesota for 2021 and has a top prospect Allen for 2022. The QB competition for spring should be greater compared to this previous offseason, and QB play should only get better in the future. Sure, Plummer and Aidan have been up and down, but many other teams in the Big Ten have had much worse QB play with more experienced offenses.
  • Doerue has been good and will only get better. Horvath is a tough and productive player. The Schiano hire at Rutgers is impacting Purdue's recruiting strategy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson and Murphey transfer to Rutgers, which is closer to home for them both. Schiano is closing the New York and New Jersey pipeline to Purdue with a compelling pitch. Brohm has to change strategy and expand into new areas, and Purdue couldn't have picked a worse year to play Rutgers.
  • However, the transfer portal is a two-way street, and Brohm can easily get another RB from the portal with the current openings on the roster and with the excessive supply of talent with the extra year of Covid eligibility. I expect the transfer portal will be Purdue's friend when everything is said and done to start the 2021 season.

First of all your first point is legit as far as sophomores go but not do much on the freshman, at least for 2020. Purdue is middle of the pack as far as Freshmen, RS Freshmen on the two deeps. See the link below if you want to check it out:

My point is members of Brohm's 4 recruiting classes are being beat out by walk-ons and transfers. I don't know why that is. Maybe they are better and Purdue has cornered the market on underappreciated players. My point is things aren't going well and I don't see much optimism for next year. That's it.

He can recruit receivers. Not much else, it seems.

from 2004 until hazell was fired, this fan base would have gone nuts for:

karlaftis
Faucheux
Hunter
Hudgins
Austin
Wahlberg
Saunders
Allen
Grant
Romph
Bilodeau
Miller
Hartwig
Jornigan
Doerue

As recruits ...

you don’t remember years and years of posts of mental gymnastics about how we just can’t recruit good big kids because we aren’t an elite program and we aren’t Wisconsin? Because the tone was “and we never will recruit those kids to come to Purdue” .. they took away our jet dude ...

this season has sucked coming down the stretch, but a lot of people are going the route where everything has to be the worst thing ever ..

Diaco? The worst. Brohms recruiting? Not the worst

Has it been verified that none of the RBS who opted out this week will be back?

Anderson was a surprise. Murphy was most likely so far in the doghouse, as he should have been.
Yeah, let's teach a kid a lesson and make an example of him, but, roll out the same ST Coach every week and let him display his complete ineptitude on a weekly basis...with no consequences at all...makes sense.

Good post BoilerData. I especially like the point about the amount of young guys. These guys were more or less thrown into the fire, especially on defense. In bigger programs these guys wouldn't see much action until Jr year. We have talent, and we've been close.

These firing Brohm posts are mostly emotional reactions, which I totally understand. Yes, the schedule was set up very nicely, but at the same time we could not afford any significant injuries. As another thread goes, our margin for error is razor thin.

In conclusion, I want to see what Brohm can do with his juniors and seniors.
The guys in the bigger programs that you allude to not seeing much action until their Jr. year are the average guys within such programs...not the better/best players...and, in Purdue's case, there are talented guys not seeing the field, and, it does not make sense...it makes less sense that some of the talented guys that are seeing the field are maybe not as talented as hoped of thought.

Brohm is not getting fired...he has done a lousy job, top to bottom and genuinely in every way possible, and at other places, he would get fired, but he is not going anywhere...he was not good a year ago, and, he has been flat bad this year across the board.

Purdue is hanging in/staying close with the worst teams in the conference...due to having the softest and kindest schedule anyone could have dreamed of or asked for...it is light years away from being a genuine "player" again in the conference, just as when he arrived...most troubling still is the fact that he had more success with Hazell's guys than he has with his own...that, and the fact that he hires lousy assistants which only compounds and magnifies his own shortcomings.

I admittedly am not as anxious to see what he can do with his juniors and seniors, as there is little to indicate that the results will be different just because guys are a year older...if play calling sucks, it does not matter who is playing or what year they are...if ST suck across the board, it is irrelevant again what year guys are, and, if the defense cannot do literally ANYTHING at all well, it is irrelevant yet again what class or how old the guys are on the field.

Murphy, Hewitt, and Armour. I would assume they will all be gone. I'm expecting Murphy and Anderson transfer to Rutgers on a hunch.
Somebody may want to alert Brohm and staff of the matter, as, they never got the message about all of the OL graduating in '17 and '18...they somehow were the only ones not to get it, but, I would hate for a repeat and taking 4/5 years to address the depth and quality situation at the RB position.

This team is in complete disarray from top to bottom. Anyone that has managed people knows that complete and utter ....well.... failure, starts and ends with the person in charge. There needs to be some drastic changes in the offseason of some kind to say the least.

I agree that Brohm at least won't be fired this season with it being under a pandemic, but if things don't improve next year then he needs to go. No matter the buyout as anything else and you will lose the fanbase and the revenue they bring in.

As much as it pains me to say it, IU is going to trounce us and that might have a silver lining to it as it will force some change. And while I still don't think IU is as good as their ranking indicates, we are just that bad and the team has given up.

And everything I mentioned above starts and ends with Brohm to fix with the immediate changes being getting a new DC and ST coach.
You don't think Indiana is as good as their ranking??? When's the last time Purdue beat Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin in the same season??? Not to mention coming up just short at Ohio State.

Open your eyes, this Indiana team is a very good football team. They probably played their best defensive game yesterday and that ain't good for Purdue. Indiana has officially lapped you people in football.

You don't think Indiana is as good as their ranking??? When's the last time Purdue beat Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin in the same season??? Not to mention coming up just short at Ohio State.

Open your eyes, this Indiana team is a very good football team. They probably played their best defensive game yesterday and that ain't good for Purdue. Indiana has officially lapped you people in football.

Congrats on your successful season Hoosier friend! It has been impressive to watch your program's progress and success from a rival's perspective. I hope Penix recovers and fully heals from his bad knee injury to be healthy again. I would like to see Purdue eventually play up to Indiana's current level of play. IMO, it would be great for the state to have both Purdue and Indiana to both be competitive in the Big Ten at the same time, making the bucket game even more fun to watch in the future. Hopefully, both sides will play with a lot of energy and give us an entertaining game. Good luck this weekend.

Reactions: td75
Murphy, Hewitt, and Armour. I would assume they will all be gone. I'm expecting Murphy and Anderson transfer to Rutgers on a hunch.
Speaking of Rutgers, I bet Max Melton who de committed from us to go to Rutgers and would have been a freshman is feeling pretty good right now. I seen he got playing time vs Purdue and was even on Bell at one point. I didn’t see much of the game so not sure how good he was

Speaking of Rutgers, I bet Max Melton who de committed from us to go to Rutgers and would have been a freshman is feeling pretty good right now. I seen he got playing time vs Purdue and was even on Bell at one point. I didn’t see much of the game so not sure how good he was

Yep. I thought the same thing. I think Purdue had to scramble a bit in the secondary last year with three decommits of S Christian Gonzalez (Colorado), CB Malachi Melton (Rutgers), and ATH Jaylen Stinson (Duke), who was likely going to be a CB.

Romphf is more of a project CB, and I haven't heard anything about his progress. Transfer CB Johnson didn't pan out. Coyle moved from CB to linebacker. CB Howard didn't jump over Mackey on the depth chart. Purdue could easily use another transfer CB.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
Yep. I thought the same thing. I think Purdue had to scramble a bit in the secondary last year with three decommits of S Christian Gonzalez (Colorado), CB Malachi Melton (Rutgers), and ATH Jaylen Stinson (Duke), who was likely going to be a CB.

Romphf is more of a project CB, and I haven't heard anything about his progress. Transfer CB Johnson didn't pan out. Coyle moved from CB to linebacker. CB Howard didn't jump over Mackey on the depth chart. Purdue could easily use another transfer CB.
Any idea what happened to Beverly at corner?

Reactions: TheGunner

I don’t think you know what lapped means.

Come on, there are a handful of teams that aren't normally ranked and to your point when was the last time those teams had a combined record of 8-15. Yes, IU is playing well, but OSU had a 35-7 lead in the 3rd and tried to coast. They threw the ball 9-10 times in the 2nd half. They were dominating that game and started to play soft.

Reactions: Level 42
Come on, there are a handful of teams that aren't normally ranked and to your point when was the last time those teams had a combined record of 8-15. Yes, IU is playing well, but OSU had a 35-7 lead in the 3rd and tried to coast. They threw the ball 9-10 times in the 2nd half. They were dominating that game and started to play soft.

And not one of those teams they have beaten has a winning record!

Reactions: Poprudy
And not one of those teams they have beaten has a winning record!

I don't know why Purdue fans use this line of thinking like it is some kind of crux? IU can only control what's on the field, not who their opponents beat. Good teams beat the teams they are supposed to beat and IU has done it in more than convincing fashion. Just imagine what Purdue and Brohm's record might look like if they could beat the teams they were supposed to beat?

I don't know why Purdue fans use this line of thinking like it is some kind of crux? IU can only control what's on the field, not who their opponents beat. Good teams beat the teams they are supposed to beat and IU has done it in more than convincing fashion. Just imagine what Purdue and Brohm's record might look like if they could beat the teams they were supposed to beat?

It indicates you haven’t beaten anyone who is good to validate all your chest bumping.

The only good team you have played is Ohio State and they could have beaten you by 70 if Wilson didn’t dial back so as not to embarrass Allen and IU. I don’t think he will make that mistake in the future.

Reactions: Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT