ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to ESR from ACC to BT Via AAU?

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Man, could I POSSIBLY have put any more acronyms in there???? Guh-DANG, I are so cool. :)

Interesting to see that FSU is pursuing AAU accreditation.

Last edited:
Nebraska was an AAU school when they entered the B1G and them were removed. It was ruled that Omaha, where all the medical research takes place, was a separate campus. So the Lincoln campus was not comparable to other AAU schools.

I think this was involved in the decision for IUPUI to separate and Purdue and IU both claim the Indy campuses as part of the main campuses. So IU does't get removed from the AAU as Nebraska did.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
FSU has made many public announcements of wanting either more money from the ACC. Or their release so they can pursue more money. This is one way for them to qualify to join the BIG 10.

I have to believe FSU is more interested in generating revenue than joining the BIG10. If the SEC offered FSU close to the amount the BIG 10, I have to believe they would join the SEC in a heartbeat.

I believe it’s a foregone conclusion FSU will be able to get out of their contract with the ACC. The same is true with Miami.

People will post who much money and years FSU has as part of their ACC contract and how it would be impossible for them to leave.

Other teams had similar ties to their conferences and left. All it takes now is money and a lawyer . Miami, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M are all rumored to be looking to get out of their conference agreements. Just like divorces and coach releases, there are now buyouts making anything possible.

A question would be would the BIG 10 pitch in any money to help FSU and MIAMI get out of their conference agreements? It’s possible . Would Miami and FSU be a good fit in the BIG 10? Personally I’d rather see schools like Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas, Iowa St or Notre Dame join the BIG 10. However, I realize the BIG 10 is no longer academic or geographically oriented. But rather it is now revenue and media marketing oriented. FSU and MIAMI would definitely be nice media targets for the BIG10.

On a negative side, if FSU and Miami were to join the BIG 10, Purdue’s football team would fall even farther down in the standings.

If I were Purdue, Id rather have schools Purdue could beat join the BIG 10. rather than adding more schools just to increase the BIG 10 network revenue and market share. But that’s not going to happen.

FSU has made many public announcements of wanting either more money from the ACC. Or their release so they can pursue more money. This is one way for them to qualify to join the BIG 10.

I have to believe FSU is more interested in generating revenue than joining the BIG10. If the SEC offered FSU close to the amount the BIG 10, I have to believe they would join the SEC in a heartbeat.

I believe it’s a foregone conclusion FSU will be able to get out of their contract with the ACC. The same is true with Miami.

People will post who much money and years FSU has as part of their ACC contract and how it would be impossible for them to leave.

Other teams had similar ties to their conferences and left. All it takes now is money and a lawyer . Miami, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M are all rumored to be looking to get out of their conference agreements. Just like divorces and coach releases, there are now buyouts making anything possible.

A question would be would the BIG 10 pitch in any money to help FSU and MIAMI get out of their conference agreements? It’s possible . Would Miami and FSU be a good fit in the BIG 10? Personally I’d rather see schools like Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas, Iowa St or Notre Dame join the BIG 10. However, I realize the BIG 10 is no longer academic or geographically oriented. But rather it is now revenue and media marketing oriented. FSU and MIAMI would definitely be nice media targets for the BIG10.

On a negative side, if FSU and Miami were to join the BIG 10, Purdue’s football team would fall even farther down in the standings.

If I were Purdue, Id rather have schools Purdue could beat join the BIG 10. rather than adding more schools just to increase the BIG 10 network revenue and market share. But that’s not going to happen.
I doubt the big ten would pitch in money. In fact Washington and Oregon are not getting a full share and it took a while for some of the other schools to get a full share.

No school has had similar financial ties to their conference and left. The grant of rights was written to make it not feasible for anyone to leave.

I would not believe anything Greg swaim says on conference realignment . He goes out on a limb with speculation all the time and he is wrong most of the time.

I’d rather Purdue lost to florida state and Miami in an exciting prime time game under the lights with a full rowdy stadium than beat indiana state on a sleepy Saturday noon start in a half full stadium.

I don’t think Purdue would take Miami, and I don’t think you are being fair on their academic integrity. Fsu joined the AAU and I do think that could be a good fit. You really want Iowa state over FSU?!

Also your comment nd is rumored to leave is nonsensical. I’m not saying it will never happen but right now there is nearly 0% chance, it would take a “seismic shift” and the new format for playoffs pretty much nixed that.

Nebraska was an AAU school when they entered the B1G and them were removed. It was ruled that Omaha, where all the medical research takes place, was a separate campus. So the Lincoln campus was not comparable to other AAU schools.

I think this was involved in the decision for IUPUI to separate and Purdue and IU both claim the Indy campuses as part of the main campuses. So IU does't get removed from the AAU as Nebraska did.
That is actually true and why it took so long to happen.

I doubt the big ten would pitch in money. In fact Washington and Oregon are not getting a full share and it took a while for some of the other schools to get a full share.

No school has had similar financial ties to their conference and left. The grant of rights was written to make it not feasible for anyone to leave.

I would not believe anything Greg swaim says on conference realignment . He goes out on a limb with speculation all the time and he is wrong most of the time.

I’d rather Purdue lost to florida state and Miami in an exciting prime time game under the lights with a full rowdy stadium than beat indiana state on a sleepy Saturday noon start in a half full stadium.

I don’t think Purdue would take Miami, and I don’t think you are being fair on their academic integrity. Fsu joined the AAU and I do think that could be a good fit. You really want Iowa state over FSU?!

Also your comment nd is rumored to leave is nonsensical. I’m not saying it will never happen but right now there is nearly 0% chance, it would take a “seismic shift” and the new format for playoffs pretty much nixed that.
Stranger things have happened that were once said to be impossible. I look at conference realignment much like an athlete signing an LOI. In the past when an athlete signed an LOI, it was said that player was locked into playing for that school. Now players say sorry I signed that LOI. And I want to play somewhere else, and the team says ok, we will let you out of your LOI commitment so you can play elsewhere.

In the past, no one could have predicted USC would be in the BIG 10 or Texas in the SEC. But it happened.

FSU has been looking at their ACC agreement for the last 2+years and ways of getting out of it. I believe we can all agree they are not trying to get out of their contract so that they can become an independent team. They obviously have a conference in mind they want to join.

As for Notre Dame, I see the new national championship having rule changes in the future that will require all teams to be part of a conference in order to be part of the championship tournament. If this were to happen it would force Notre Dame to join a conference. If you look closely, not all of Notre Dame’s teams are in the ACC. Their hockey team is one example. If Notre Dame was forced to have their football team join a conference, And if FSU and Miami found a way to leave the ACC, Would Notre Dame have its football team join the ACC? Or would it pull out all of its sports and join the BIG 10? While not probable, I believe it’s possible.

The NCAA as we know it is changing exponentially. If the NCAA Creates two division ones of pay and non pay, and 4 super conferences, I believe all those conference agreements will be thrown out the window and colleges , like players, will become free agents and able to form any conference they want. I could see the BIG 10 buying out schools like IU and Northwestern and adding schools like Alabama and Texas.

But back to FSU. What they are currently doing, they are doing for a reason. And that reason is not because the ACC is requiring it. They are doing it for their future if they can find their way out of their current contract. I can envision it happening. However, I believe it more likely they would join the SEC rather than the BIG 10.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring in the NCAA and BIG 10? Could anybody have predicted the NFL’s change for onside kicks? That changed announced today was stupid, but the teams voted on it and seem to like it.

As I said, where there is money, there is change as university presidents bow down to their golden cash cow!

Stranger things have happened that were once said to be impossible. I look at conference realignment much like an athlete signing an LOI. In the past when an athlete signed an LOI, it was said that player was locked into playing for that school. Now players say sorry I signed that LOI. And I want to play somewhere else, and the team says ok, we will let you out of your LOI commitment so you can play elsewhere.

In the past, no one could have predicted USC would be in the BIG 10 or Texas in the SEC. But it happened.

FSU has been looking at their ACC agreement for the last 2+years and ways of getting out of it. I believe we can all agree they are not trying to get out of their contract so that they can become an independent team. They obviously have a conference in mind they want to join.

As for Notre Dame, I see the new national championship having rule changes in the future that will require all teams to be part of a conference in order to be part of the championship tournament. If this were to happen it would force Notre Dame to join a conference. If you look closely, not all of Notre Dame’s teams are in the ACC. Their hockey team is one example. If Notre Dame was forced to have their football team join a conference, And if FSU and Miami found a way to leave the ACC, Would Notre Dame have its football team join the ACC? Or would it pull out all of its sports and join the BIG 10? While not probable, I believe it’s possible.

The NCAA as we know it is changing exponentially. If the NCAA Creates two division ones of pay and non pay, and 4 super conferences, I believe all those conference agreements will be thrown out the window and colleges , like players, will become free agents and able to form any conference they want. I could see the BIG 10 buying out schools like IU and Northwestern and adding schools like Alabama and Texas.

But back to FSU. What they are currently doing, they are doing for a reason. And that reason is not because the ACC is requiring it. They are doing it for their future if they can find their way out of their current contract. I can envision it happening. However, I believe it more likely they would join the SEC rather than the BIG 10.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring in the NCAA and BIG 10? Could anybody have predicted the NFL’s change for onside kicks? That changed announced today was stupid, but the teams voted on it and seem to like it.

As I said, where there is money, there is change as university presidents bow down to their golden cash cow!
I’m not sure you comprehended my post. Yes FSU is trying to get out of their conference and we all know it. Never disagreed with that.

Now players get out of their LOI? It IS binding. Only player I can think of who was granted a voluntary release was catchings and painter didn’t want him anymore. If painter wanted him he probably doesn’t get out… that is a rarity. The acc is not going to let fsu out.

And bama and Texas are NOT coming to B1G that is insane. And many people predicted texas to sec years before it happened. In fact it was a surprise big twelve was able to convince them to stay as long as they did. Usc was a surprise though.

The B10 will continue to focus on "smart" integrations that propel their viewership, as that drives TV revenue. A Florida school would aid in that.

Purdue (and a great nbr of other programs) will need to get better in football if they want to compete. Many of the new schools will have the reverse concern come basketball.

Growth (expansion) is coming but it will be more surgical from here as 4-5 power conferences are established. That means, 5 conf take 20 teams, so the first 80 schools will be on the inside. While others are left looking in.

Those power conferences will slowly take on yhe real governance relegating the NCAA to a shell of what it once was.

Reactions: Tommaker

Purdue decided to claim Indy as part of the main campus, but IU did not. It is still a completely separate campus than Bloomington, as has always been the case, and does not impact IU Bloomington's AAU status. That's why it is now named IU Indy and not just IU. Interestingly, if IU had taken Purdue's main campus integrated approach, it would have probably benefited its performance in various rankings services as earned research dollars, a factor in many rankings, would likely skyrocket due to the school of medicine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT