ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting From The Road: Owen Freeman in Normal

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
NORMAL, Ill. — So, I spent the first day of the first June evaluation period at the Midwest Crossing Showcase at Normal West High School in Illinois. It was a tournament for Illinois high school teams.

Just wanted to see new Purdue 2023 offer Owen Freeman.

I'll write the story next week, but in the meantime, a rundown ...

Freeman's Bradley-Bourbonnaise (which totally sounds like something you'd put on a brisket sandwich, I have to say) lost both its games today, to the Fightin' Matt Mitriones of Sacred Heart-Griffin and the Fightin' Lewis Jacksons of Decatur MacArthur.

The first game was really ugly, and Freeman didn't score. But it was hardly his fault, as in both games, Bourbonnaisse simply couldn't handle pressure from athletically superior teams. Just couldn't handle it at all, and there's generally very little centers can do about that particular issue.

Not sure I saw the best of Freeman today, but in the second game, he was solid, with a handful of dunks and athletic finishes around the basket, and some blocks.

See for yourself ...

Here's what Freeman appears to be at first glance: A 6-foot-10ish-and-probably-growing center with outstanding mobility and solid height and length who has some real bounce to him. I thought of a Meyers Leonard type, though Freeman isn't that talented or that big.

Just a guy who runs very well, jumps very well, possesses some athleticism in the air and has the sort of coordinator you'd like to have at the 5 in a dynamic offense. Seemed to make all the right passes and made them well, and while he didn't make any jumpers — he took one three — he looked like he knew what he was doing doing it. During the second game, he encountered a matchup with a particularly slow-footed young man, and Freeman showed some quickness in attacking him off the dribble.

Would have liked to have seen him get more low-block touches, but double teams forced the ball out of his hands quite often.

Based off of two games of June basketball — much of it played with a running clock, and one of the games played with just one referee — I'm not sure if I'd project Freeman as a guy who's going to step into a college program right away and be Big Ten-ready. We'll see what his body looks like a year from now. But he's probably going to wind up in the Big Ten, with Illinois, Purdue, Iowa and Wisconsin among those already all over him.

Wish I'd seen more of him this weekend for a more comprehensive view, but he had just two games today, and tomorrow, I'll be at the IBCA Showcase at Ben Davis, which will be loaded. Assuming everyone shows up, targets Jalen Washington, Myles Colvin and Xavier Booker and commits Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith will be there.

I'm out of data on my phone per usual, so not sure what I'll have real time in terms of updates, but will have a comprehensive report and video tomorrow night.

WHERE WERE PURDUE'S COACHES?
Terry Johnson was in Normal for Purdue, watching Freeman and probably some other fringe types. Freeman and Normal West 2024 big man Jaheem Webber were the only two players on my list to see today. Remember Webber's name.

Brandon Brantley was up in Chicagoland for the Riverside-Brookfield Shootout. Not sure who Purdue is on there, if anyone, and I would not anticipate Chicago being a huge priority for Purdue moving forward, but I'm sure there was someone to see up there. Cam Christie, perhaps.

I think Paul Lusk went to an event in Minnesota, but am not sure. Not sure Camden Heide is playing this weekend, as he has some family obligations, but Purdue's gonna keep recruiting the Twin Cities. They have a good rep up there, it's a good basketball town and there's only one DI program in the whole state and it happens to be in the gutter at the moment.

Tomorrow, I'd expect Matt Painter to be at the IBCA deal.

More tomorrow ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News