ADVERTISEMENT

Free Board : Does AJ Hammons come back next year?

DrEss

All-American
Aug 25, 2001
Love to see him back for his senior year, especially if that helps get Swanigan to become a Boiler. We would be pretty darn good for sure.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BoilerinLouisville:
It all depends on where he is projected.
If purdue makes a deep run his value will go up. Right now it makes sense for him to come back and have a chance to do something special next year
I agree. If Purdue makes a good run, it will be because Hammons is playing great. I hope it happens. And I hope he comes back to finish the job.

Originally posted by DrEss:
Love to see him back for his senior year, especially if that helps get Swanigan to become a Boiler. We would be pretty darn good for sure.
I would think AJ coming back would ensure CS going somewhere else.

My gut says he comes back if PU doesn't make a run in the tourney. He likes the guys and he respects Painter.

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:

My gut says he comes back if PU doesn't make a run in the tourney. He likes the guys and he respects Painter.
Agree on this and I think that is why Swanigan is waiting to announce. While he most certainly can be the 4, a kid of his talent will want to showcase his skills so he can be "one and done".

But then again, what the hell do we know? If any of us knew half of what we preach on here, we'd be making a lot more money
3dgrin.r191677.gif

My hunch is he is back. This year has been his first taste of team success in college, and he helped lead it. I think he will want to see how much further he and Ray and everybody can go. Plus individually, I think he knows he can still improve a lot, and he finally has the maturity to do the work in a sustained fashion to make it happen. Fueling that: The value of Ray's work ethic example to AJ and the whole team cannot be overstated.

Originally posted by BBG:

Agree on this and I think that is why Swanigan is waiting to announce. While he most certainly can be the 4, a kid of his talent will want to showcase his skills so he can be "one and done".

But then again, what the hell do we know? If any of us knew half of what we preach on here, we'd be making a lot more money
3dgrin.r191677.gif
BBG, what most forget is that Taylor will be back next year and that his resume as a big is pretty damned good. I think he moves into the starting line up next year at the 4. If AJ comes back, and Taylor plays the 4, Haas will become the first off the bench for either of those two. Move Edwards to the other forward slot, combined with Davis and I think either PJ or Scott, and you've got the makings of a FF contender.

While I agree that there's a lot of promise out there, there's a lot to be seen still.

1. AJ has to come back. I think it's easy for us to say he will come back, but I think it'll be a much closer decision than people seem to think. You have to keep in mind almost every kid would "want" to go pro if possible.

2. Taylor has to prove it on the court. I have a hard time believing he's going to be a starter from the get-go. I think he has potential, sure. But with the returning team, you have to be productive to be getting minutes. For example, I don't see Mathias/Stephens both coming off the bench if Taylor is not producing.

3. The PG spot is in ok hands, but not great. That being said, I also think Purdue has potential to have incredible depth at the guard position. Purdue has some guys with good vision - Mathias is a great passer overall and Stephens is also a guy who understands how to feed the interior.

Overall, it's nice to have competition at positions and for the team in general. Obviously the level of competition for some positions change if AJ does leave. And that being said, playing time will be a premium at some of the guard positions - I don't want this to create a firestorm, but I wouldn't be shocked to see someone transfer just in terms of playing time. However, that does not mean someone is upset or wants to leave so no need to get into that.

4. With Mathias and Stephens in the positions they are (I certainly didn't expect Mathias to be playing this many minutes at the beginning of the season), do you redshirt Cline?

We know enough to know that going from not drafted in most or close to all mock drafts to actually being drafted is extremely unlikely. He isn't even being considered at this time. With reason.

This post was edited on 3/15 4:07 PM by IndySouthsider

I think he will be back. This is his first season that he did things like have stretches of 5 or more consecutive (what could be considered) good games. I think he is becoming more disciplined (ie consistent work ethic) and he can continue to improve and build off of that.

I don't think Swanigan's decision will have anything to do with AJH's status.

Mathias

Is NOT coming out of starting lineup for Taylor. Taylor will back up Edwards along with Smotherman

Are you serious or messin with me? Find one source out there that even remotely shows AJ as being drafted. Are mocks 100%? No but do you ever remember a US born player not being discussed and out of the blue getting picked?

This post was edited on 3/15 4:12 PM by IndySouthsider

Re: Mathias

Originally posted by boilerrip:
Is NOT coming out of starting lineup for Taylor. Taylor will back up Edwards along with Smotherman
While Mathias did a decent job this year, I kind of like what was said about Taylor upon his signing with Purdue:

Named Big Man of the Year, Best Shot Blocker and MVP by Hoop Mountain (AAU).
• Earned first-team All-NEPSAC Class B accolades as a sophomore, leading Beaver Country Day to an undefeated regular season and the NEPSAC Class B title, typically one of the toughest conferences in America.
• Averaged 15.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.2 blocks a game as a sophomore, being named the EIL Co-MVP. Was also named to the Boston Globe All-Scholastic Team.
• Was mentioned as one of the top five players in New England before his injury.
• Most-highly touted big man to come out of Cambridge, Mass., since New York Knicks Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing.

If AJ singlehandedly destroys Cincinnati and Kentucky, he'll have a good chance to go in the draft. I'm like 98% sure he'll be back. I also happen to think he needs the extra year.

swanigan said he doesn't want stuck at a 5 all the time

said he wants to mix it up...swapping with a five. Not sure he can swap with Haas solely...could swap with Taylor and Hammons and Hammons no doubt would like to work on his 4 spot. He may not come to Purdue...but there are many things in PUrdue's favor adn he has said that...

Re: swanigan said he doesn't want stuck at a 5 all the time

Sadly, I don't think he's coming to Purdue either, but I think we are a little more likely to get him if Hammons stays. He won't have to do any 5 work with both our bigs back. He can play the 3 or the 4 because of Edwards versatility. We will be a very good team. I would expect this is what Painter is telling him.

I hope he comes back because that would make us a very very good and deep veteran team, which has typically been Purdue's best teams. Plus would love to see he and Ray go out together as seniors. Would be a special year IMO. But I can't blame a guy if he wants to go get paid somewhere.

While I agree he would probably end up on a draft board (whether the last pick or not), I pointed out something about these CBS mock drafts. If you look on some other NBA mock drafts, you'll notice significantly more international players than what Gary Parrish has for example (I think he has 2 in the second round?).

Overall, I don't think the mock drafts right now are entirely accurate/worth following.

I'm not sure why everyone is so sure that Biggie is scared of the possibility of having to share a basketball with a senior at a different position. If anything, having 2 bonafide centers should encourage him in knowing that he'll very rarely, if ever, be asked to play the 5.

He's considering Duke, MSU, Arizona, and Kentucky, and Purdue is the one with the intimidating depth chart?!

This whole train of thought doesn't make sense, and you're definitely not the first person I've heard post it...

I guess we shall see. I know the advice he is going to get from one NBA team employee. And it is going to be quite eye opening for AJ.
This post was edited on 3/16 11:33 AM by IndySouthsider

Eye opening in a positive way? As in, he has lots of work to do and should stay at Purdue another year?

Given the poster's other posts about how AJ definitely should come back, guessing its not positive.

You have to think of AJ as what he is. Offensively, he's limited (we've seen he has no range beyond basically 5 feet). Defensively, he relies significantly on blocking shots, which is great, but he will have to body up against other 7 footers in the NBA.

AJ is probably still at the "draft on potential" point in his stock. Until he develops on a couple of these other areas, I don't think he'll be a solid pick. Sigh, I keep saying I won't talk about this anymore til after the season...

So all those open jump shots he has hit on a consistent basis this year out to 12 feet should just be ignored? He hit one against Wisconsin on Saturday. He doesn't take those shots unless open because he has been instructed to by the coaching staff. Being able to and being allowed to are two different things. The coaches don't want him taking shots out that far because it leaves a gap in rebounding.

Originally posted by JohnnyDoeBoiler:
So all those open jump shots he has hit on a consistent basis this year out to 12 feet should just be ignored? He hit one against Wisconsin on Saturday. He doesn't take those shots unless open because he has been instructed to by the coaching staff. Being able to and being allowed to are two different things. The coaches don't want him taking shots out that far because it leaves a gap in rebounding.
AJ has hit a very low % of his jumpers this year. Yes, he made one last game, after missing the previous 10 or 20. If he hadn't missed the one against OSU, we might have won that game. Sorry, but AJ needs to not take those jumpers until he puts in a lot more work in the off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT